Profile for M. A. Tams > Reviews

The Troop
The Troop
by Nick Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror with the gloves off, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Troop (Paperback)
The Troop is a horror tale that is by turns genuinely scary and incredibly gory. I think it has the potential to become a modern horror classic. Be warned, there are scenes of animal cruelty that even I struggled to read.

EP1 [Explicit]
EP1 [Explicit]

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: EP1 [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Pixies have given us some great songs on this ep. I want to take each song to bed with me, separately at first then all at the same time on repeat until I finally collapse into a spent husk.

Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less
by Jamie Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, 4 Sep 2013
I was somewhat sceptical when I first saw this book in Waterstones. After all, Jamie is a multi-millionaire with money to burn so I found it hard to believe that he could provide genuine advice on how to save money. How wrong I was! Within seconds of spotting the book I saved myself a whopping £26 by not purchasing a copy. Good on you Jamie!

Orange Clownfish Robo Fish by Zuru - Water Activated robotic fish that swims
Orange Clownfish Robo Fish by Zuru - Water Activated robotic fish that swims
Offered by mtxtoys

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 9 July 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought one of these for my 4.5 year old son. The fish broke within an hour. I received a replacement fish free of charge but the tail kept falling off. I had to glue the tail onto the fish. Then the batteries went after 2 hours. I've now spent over £5 on replacement batteries which is half the amount I originally spent on the fish. This toy is now destined for the bin. The recommended age is 3+ but this is totally misleading - there's no way this toy is durable enough to withstand the attentions of a 3 year old.

Avoid!

A Book of Horrors
A Book of Horrors
by Stephen Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 1 July 2013
This review is from: A Book of Horrors (Paperback)
The introduction to this anthology promises a return to the old days of horror, when horror was truly scary. Sadly Stephen Jones has failed to put his money where his mouth is. The stories are mediocre at best with a couple of really poor ones thrown in for good measure.

The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
by Glen Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars mind numbing, 27 May 2013
I couldn't finish this book. It's overwritten and the language is dense to the point of showing off. I got the impression that the author merely wanted to show us how clever he is rather than deliver an engaging story.

Crossed Volume 1
Crossed Volume 1
by Jacen Burrows

1.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of rape, very little plot, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Crossed Volume 1 (Paperback)
I've been a fan of Garth Ennis for years. Preacher and Hitman are two of my all time favorite comics.

Ennis has always been able to shock but he usually entertains at the same time. Crossed is all shock and no entertainment. One dimensional characters roam about a world infested with the 'crossed', homicidal maniacs who exist only to rape, mutilate and murder anyone they can get their hands on. I'm no prude but Ennis has truly stepped out of line this time by including graphic depictions of children being mutilated and murdered. If there was any context to the brutality, or even a sympathetic protagonist, then the constant rape and murder might have some point. As it is, Crossed is an ugly, gore-soaked rape fantasy written by an author who appears to be in decline.

Hot Wheels Drift Rally Spinout Wall Tracks
Hot Wheels Drift Rally Spinout Wall Tracks
Offered by Importtoys-UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it stays up, 15 Oct 2012
I bought this for my sons 4th birthday. We enjoyed putting it together and attaching it to the wall. This toy is only worthwhile if you have additional Hot Wheels track pieces to create a route down to the floor, otherwise the car just falls off above the skirting board. The device for wall attachment is also not strong enough and I had to reinforce the track with a fair amount of masking tape. Considering the track only stays on the wall for a certain amount of time it has now been confined to a drawer in the toy box. A shame really because my son loved playing it with it when it worked.

The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker Thriller)
The Wrath of Angels (Charlie Parker Thriller)
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and chilling, 4 Sep 2012
This is the best Charlie Parker story so far. The plot is as dark as The Unquiet (albeit not as stomach churning) and it serves as a sequel to my favorite John Connolly book, The Dark Angel.

If you're new to Charlie Parker I wouldn't recommend reading this first. Start with Every Dead Thing and work your way through the series. By the time you get to Wrath of Angels you'll hopefully be as obsessed and mesmerized as I am.

This really is a masterpiece of supernatural Gothic noir. The only bad thing about this book is that there won't be another Charlie Parker story for a while.

The People Next Door
The People Next Door
by Christopher Ransom

1.0 out of 5 stars What twist?, 30 July 2012
This review is from: The People Next Door (Paperback)
I rarely give up on a book but this one was utterly tedious. Boring characters, boring plot. And what the hell was that blurb about a twist? What twist? I knew what was coming after about 100 pages.

Page: 1 | 2