Profile for WEEK END CHEF > Reviews

Content by WEEK END CHEF

WEEK END CHEF (CAMBRIDGESHIRE, ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2
Food for Heroes: The Official Help for Heroes Cook Book
Food for Heroes: The Official Help for Heroes Cook Book
by Squadron Leader John Pullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Food with a purpose, 30 Jun 2011
I find this a truly inspirational book. A lot of the recipes are fairly traditional and predictable, but the stories that accompany them really blow the mind away. I'm often so overwhelmed by the life stories of the people who have been included that I end up reading their contributions and forget to cook at all! With a large chunk of the proceeds going to the charity this has to be a 'must' for many reasons.

The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen
The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'forever' cookbook, 30 Jun 2011
This book is one of my all-time favourites. If I'm ever lacking in inspiration (which isn't often) or just scratching about looking for a meal that takes my fancy, then this book comes off the shelf time and again. Nigel offers food that is directly linked to the seasons and uses regular ingredients that the average cook will just have lying about in the cupboard, no need to go shopping to buy one faddy, expensive ingredient that will never be used again. This book is one for keeps.

Medicinal Cookery: How You Can Benefit From Nature's Edible Pharmacy
Medicinal Cookery: How You Can Benefit From Nature's Edible Pharmacy
by Dale Pinnock
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 30 Jun 2011
As someone who writes about food and cookery myself, I was expecting to meet just another author when I stopped in at my local book shop to see who was signing books in my local store. Instead, I found a man who inspired me not only to think more carefully about the food that I was feeding myself, but also to plan meals which would be a benfit rather than a hindrance to the health of the whole family. The book explains the chemical compounds of many everyday foods and also advises on the benefits they bring to the immune system, the heart and the joints, among others. It is clearly written and concise. I have been handing out copies of this book to everyone I know for the past six weeks, it is truly inspirational. Well done Dale.

"Bazaar" Book of Storecupboard Cookery
"Bazaar" Book of Storecupboard Cookery
by Clare Connery

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LAZY COOK, 27 Aug 2007
I originally owned this book back in 1991, when it was first published. Unfortunately I lost mine in transit between Wiltshire and Cambridgeshire. It is perfect for those who would rather open a can than cook using fresh ingredients from scratch. If you are clever about it though, when you use the recipes in this book people automatically assume that you have spent hours in the kitchen to create the food on offer. If you live on your own and out of necessity use more canned food than fresh, don't get out to the shops very often, or can't be bothered to cook mid-week, then this is the book for you. I shall be replacing my copy asap!

Page: 1 | 2