Profile for Crafty Fae > Reviews

The Raven [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Raven [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ John Cusack

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof that Film Critics Know Nothing!, 3 Aug. 2012
I had spent the best part of a year being excited about this movie coming out, being both a fan of Poe and Cusack, and when the critics started panning it I went with a bit of a heavy heart. I needn't have - as far as I can tell the critics may as well have been watching another movie entirely!

This is an absolutely fabulous film, with just the right amounts of gore, goth, mystery and entertainment. John Cusack gives what I think is one of his best ever performances (watch "Max" for his absolute best), playing a wonderful and understated Poe, and at one point reciting a quite breathtaking rendition of the title poem. Luke Evans is also superb in his role as the detective.

Those who are looking for a Poe biopic, that is something this film was never meant to be. It's a wonderful fictional account of the last days of Poe's life, with plenty of truths, actual speculations and nods to Poe's works thrown in.

I was thoroughly gripped throughout the whole film, and while there maybe could have been a little more suspense and excitement in the unveiling of the killer, there is very, VERY little to disappoint in this film. I waited with as much eager anticipation for the blu-ray release as I did the cinema release and will certainly be watching this again and again. Even my other half, who was dragged along to watch this with me (and who usually hates period films, is not particularly a fan of Cusack and has never read Poe in his life) was hooked and genuinely enjoyed it!

Definitely a must-watch.

Zingzillas 10 in a Box Jigsaw
Zingzillas 10 in a Box Jigsaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Zingzilla Puzzle Fun!, 27 Dec. 2011
Bought this for my two-year-old daughter for Christmas because she loves making her other Zingzilla puzzle set so much. She loves sorting the pieces into the different edge colours, and making all the puzzles. Hasn't quite got the patience yet to make all 10 puzzles in one go but she'll get there! She loves it when the whole lot are done and make up one big circle of pictures.

The centre island puzzle with the Zingzillas logo puzzle makes an interesting and different two puzzles to make to the other 8 picture puzzles. We all love making these!

Fay's Family Food: Delicious Recipes Where One Meal Feeds Everyone. Whatever Age!
by Fay Ripley

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cookbook EVER, 8 April 2011
I have to confess, I was skeptical about this book as I don't normally go for cookbooks by "celebs" who aren't cooks. But I have owned this book for well over a year now and I LOVE it. In fact, I rate it the best cookbook I have, more so than Jamie, Rachel, Nigella, Delia and co. Why? Because this is real food!

Normally when I buy a cookbook, I make a few things out of it and that's it. But I have made tons of recipes from this book and they have all turned out delicious. My other half loves his steak and he adores the sauce you make for "dressing up your steak and chips". We've eaten and enjoyed the chocolate fondue sauce, the brownies, the steak, the beef stroganoff, the pork and apple, the apple cake, the chicken with thyme rice, the sausage stew, and lots more.

This is everyday food that you want to cook again and again, that is not only super-easy to make, using everyday ingredients, but that also comes with practical tips (such as whether you can freeze the meal) and is suitable for the whole family, including babies (a godsend for us with a young toddler - she loves these meals too, her favourite being the chicken and thyme rice!)

I love Fay's humorous style, too. This recipe book is warm and inviting, and is at the heart of my kitchen! Sure, I want and love the fancy cookbooks too, but for regular, everyday meals, this is ALWAYS the book I reach for.