Profile for MJM > Reviews

MJM (Lancs, UK)

Rust
Rust

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Simply Beautiful, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rust (Audio CD)
Being a POS fan I was immediately interested in Kristoffer Gildenlow's first solo album under his own name. Having read one review and listened to a couple of tracks on-line I decided to take a punt on the album. My three word title says it all. Yes, it is melancholy, but I don't care. Sublime melodies, beautiful singing. Now, Kristoffer does sound like his brother from time to time, but that is no bad thing. On OverWinter I had to double check the credits to make sure it was Daniel singing! The title track also reminds me a lot of Vocari Dei, and other tracks remind me of POS's 12:5 release. So if you like those you must buy this. One of the most surprising and outstanding releases of 2013. Fab.

FLASH SUPERSTORE NOKIA 5230 SILICON CASE/COVER/SKIN BLACK + SCREEN PROTECTOR
FLASH SUPERSTORE NOKIA 5230 SILICON CASE/COVER/SKIN BLACK + SCREEN PROTECTOR
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 19 Sep 2010
Solid case. Doesnt seem to slip and certainly protects the phone.
Good value

Still
Still

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog Metal with Bite, 1 Jun 2007
This review is from: Still (Audio CD)
I bought this with Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" and they sit well together, and show that the future of progressive metal is assured. Personally, I think this is slightly better than Riverside's effort, but they are both 5-star crackers. Wolverine kick of with the great "A House of Plague" and proceed to fill the album with quite diverse stuff. I like "Liar on the Mount" and "Sleepy Town" but they save the best for last. "And She Slowly Dies" is epic in everything but length (only 7:40 - should have been 17:40!). All I can say is that if you like Riverside's "Second Life Syndrome" you must surely like this.

The Music That Died Alone
The Music That Died Alone
Offered by actionrecords

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 21 April 2007
Well, this turned out to be a BIG disappointment. Having read reviews, and bought everything else that Roine Stolt has done, I thought it time to give The Tangent a try. Now, I may think differently after 20 or so plays, but I just cannot imagine playing this CD that many times. It is one of those strange ones that, in my view, never gets started. Yes there are some interesting passages, but it is light years away from Transatlantic or The Flower Kings. Do not assume you will like this if you like the aforementioned.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2010 12:56 PM BST

The Flower King
The Flower King

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the Flower Kings, 21 April 2007
This review is from: The Flower King (Audio CD)
What a cracking start to the Flower Kings. I have appreciated this album even more since I saw the Flower Kings at Rotherham in 2006, where they finished, appropriately with The Flower King. Love the album, music and the singing - what more can you ask for. I think that Stolt and Hasse Froberg complement each other so well in so many songs. Best tracks are the title track and the lovely Scanning the Greenhouse. A must if you like anything Stolt has been involved with.

Sola Scriptura
Sola Scriptura
Offered by musea

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Very (Very) Good!, 20 April 2007
This review is from: Sola Scriptura (Audio CD)
You can't knock Neal Morse. Work with Transatlantic is awesome, and he is now producing solo work of some note. Musically ? was very good, but perhaps just a bit repetitive for my liking. This, I am pleased to say, is not. It opens with The Door (ouch) and you have to wonder where the 26 + minutes go. Classic Neal Morse, and some great guitar work, too. Personally, I think this is the best track, but the others will not disappoint. Don't be put off too much by the religeous nature of Morse's work, because the music makes it. Possibly his best solo album to date - and better than all the Spock's Beard albums, with the exception of Snow.

Brand New Morning
Brand New Morning

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but there are better ones, 13 April 2007
This review is from: Brand New Morning (Audio CD)
Okay. Just bought this CD on the back of buying Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow, and quite frankly they are poles apart. This comes as a disappointment bearing in mind the good reviews that Brand New Morning has received on this site. If you are looking for the old Magnum, buy Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow. Many reviewers have been saying it is the best since On a StoryTeller's Night, not least because of the fab cover. And, I have to agree - it is. So imagine buying that CD, then following it with Brand New Morning - no comparison. Brand New Morning is good, and for diehard Magnum fans it is worth having - but I cant imagine playing this in 2 or 3 months time, whilst Princess Alice will become a favourite of mine. Brand New Morning is good, but never 5 stars - you have been warned.

Scarsick
Scarsick
Offered by MMT-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to Be, 26 Jan 2007
This review is from: Scarsick (Audio CD)
With the exception of Spitfall and Cribcaged, this CD does take a few listens before you get into it, but isnt that the norm with PoS? However, Spitfall is brilliant, and Cribcaged will DEFINITELY turn into a PoS classic - fantastic. It is so hard to follow up BE, which in my view, is one of the best recordings of all time. I would be lying if I though SCARSICK was as good, but it is not far behind it, and still worthy of 5 stars. Cribcaged alone is worth the money.