Profile for Hedge Witch > Reviews

Content by Hedge Witch

Hedge Witch "A Third Witch" (Milton Keynes, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)
The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not fair!, 27 July 2014
I sounds wonderful (despite mixed reviews) but I don't have a Kindle and I'm not planning to buy a Kindle (or any similar item) because I can't afford it. So, not disappointed by the story because I can't read it but very disappointed that Mr Connolly hasn't given me that option. :o(

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I'd Never Replaced My Ancient Kenwood, 27 Feb 2014
A couple of years ago my lovely husband bought me this mixer as a replacement for my 20 yr old Kenwood. It wasn't broken but it was getting tired, the feet had disintegrated so it vibrated across the work surface and my whisk had gone missing (I had children who baked, one's a chef now!).

Initially I was thrilled: it was shiny and stylish plus it had a splash guard and it had little suckers on it's feet so it wouldn't travel across the kitchen – yah!. It was more powerful than my old Kenwood and the recipe book came with promises of versatility and deliciousness. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to it's promises.

Mostly I make cakes and the first thing I noticed was that the standard beater didn't get closed enough to the base and sides of the bowl to pick up the sugar and butter so it gradually beaten together so it when along the lines of beat, use a spatula to wipe the inside, mix, use a spatula to wipe the inside, mix… It was incredibly annoying and time wasting. Next, for whatever reason, it would never beat the eggs in properly and they always curdled; even beating in a couple of spoons of flour it still separated and I still had to clean the sides with the spatula. Because of this problem with the distance between walls of the bowl and the pattern of the beater it was actually easier to stir in the flour, fruit, etc, by hand than using a slow speed on the mixer.

I also make marshmallows and I need to let the mixer whisk away while both the egg whites become stiff and the marshmallow mix cools but it wasn't at all successful not only because of the distance between the bowl and it's contents but also because the motor became very hot. I believe that the beater needs to be redesigned to give more mixing area for small quantities and to make it bigger so that it closer to the inside of the bowl so that it picks up more of the mixture.

And finally, I've had the mixer for a couple of years but I haven't used it that much simply because of these problems. I've made a couple of Xmas cakes, one batch of very disappointing marshmallows, probably half a dozen various Victoria Sandwiches and, just recently, 3 very large Madera cakes and enough Victoria Sandwich mix to make 100 chocolate fairy cakes. It should have been 150 chocolate fairy cakes but the bloody machine broke down. I was lifting the top so I could, once again, scrape off all the mix that was stuck to the inside of the bowl and there was a grating noise followed by the sound of a large spring coming adrift…

I'll probably get it fixed because I can't afford a new Kenwood but quite frankly the Tesco's hand held mixer that a friend lent me in my hour (or two) of need did a job than this. I'll be copying and pasting to the Andrew James' website not with the hope that they'll place (unlikely after all this time) but to let them know exactly what I think of this piece of c**p.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2014 3:13 PM BST

Yoursclothing Womens Plus Size Mac With Bow Detail At Back Size 18 Black
Yoursclothing Womens Plus Size Mac With Bow Detail At Back Size 18 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Even nicer than I expected, 26 Dec 2013
I love it! It's posh, goes with everything and I just adore the big bow on the back. Many compliments from both friends and family.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Pratchett does it again., 26 Dec 2013
Fantastic. Love it. Lots of old friends revisited and new friends to make. Good story… good grief, what else could I possibly say except "Thank you, Sir Terry, for all the wonderful gifts of books you've given us over the years."

Tala Icing Bag Set, 8 Nozzles, 4/48
Tala Icing Bag Set, 8 Nozzles, 4/48

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed some new nozzles!, 26 Dec 2013
Perfect, all the basic nozzles and now I can throw away all the old, shabby ones that I've had since the 1970s! Don't need the bag for that price I can have another go at using one and it doesn't matter if I'm still pants at using them. :o)

Beginner's Guide to Cake Decorating (Murdoch Books)
Beginner's Guide to Cake Decorating (Murdoch Books)
by Murdoch Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover!, 26 Dec 2013
I have an older version of this that I've used for years but I lent it to a friend before Christmas and she hasn't been able to get it back to me (no fault of her own) so I used some of my birthday money to buy this one. It isn't quite as good as my original one but only because it doesn't have as much information, ie, cake ideas, run-out work and so on but it has very good instructions on basic techniques, it's simple to use and easy to understand. Very pleased with it.

Epson T0711 - Print cartridge - 1 x black
Epson T0711 - Print cartridge - 1 x black
Offered by Stinkyinkshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great inks, 24 May 2013
I always use Epson ink, I've tried the cheap options but they're just not worth it. It's the only ink I know of that doesn't run when wet and retains its colour over time.

I'd recommend it to any one.

Uprising [Explicit]
Uprising [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their usual standard…, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Uprising [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
If thrash-folk with a conscience isn't normally your thing give this a try. An eclectic mix of the old and new with pipes & a stupendous fiddler and a singer/song writer who would fit right in with any good thrash/punk band. Singing about love and hardship and government stupidity it really does present something for everyone (but not if you're a fan of Justin Bieber) :o)

Falcon 3/4 Size Classic Guitar - Pink
Falcon 3/4 Size Classic Guitar - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in Pink!, 21 May 2013
Perfect for my granddaughter as a starter kit. Her dad (my son) is an artist so he created a dark pink vine motif and painted it onto the front and she was absolutely thrilled.

Having played the guitar since I was 14/15 and have 2 that I use regularly I was really impressed with just how nice the tone was; I may have to steal it until she gets older just to make sure it doesn't get destroyed!

The Burning Soul: The Tenth Charlie Parker Thriller
The Burning Soul: The Tenth Charlie Parker Thriller
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie Parker is back…, 21 May 2013
What can I say? John Connolly is as good as ever and I'm about to read it for the 3rd time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5