ARRAY(0xb011c5c4)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
by Timothy A. Budd

3.0 out of 5 stars Outlines the principles, but the examples can be confusing., 14 Oct 2013
I've used a C++ compiler for several years now, but mainly for writing "quick-and-dirty" command-line and text-based reporting and data conversion utilities, not full Windows apps. And although I'm familiar with most of the syntax of C++, I have never used classes, methods, or the other basics of OOP. I was looking for a book which would teach me how to look at data in an object-oriented way, so that I could apply the rules and benefits (?) of OOP to the problems I come across.

This book starts out fairly simply, but within a few chapters it seems to become more and more difficult to follow in real-world terms. One of the reasons for this is that the author attempts to show examples of OOP in several different languages - C++, Smalltalk, Objective-C, and Object Pascal. This simply confuses anyone who is not familiar with all these languages, as you spend as much time trying to translate back to your favourite language as you do actually learning what the code does and why.

Also, the choice of real-world examples seems a little obtuse. One example given is the process of ordering flowers for your grandmother. The example shows how to treat your grandmother, the florist, and the bunch of flowers as objects, and what information is exchanged between them, and how they interact. But how does this relate to a business situation where you have a certain set of data which you need to input, merge, sort, and report on? There doesn't seem to be an easy connection at all.

Overall, I have learned quite a bit about OOP from this book, and I have succesfully written some experimental programs using OOP principles. But I'm still looking for that clear guide on how to look at the real business world in an OOP way, so that I can more easily structure my software solutions.

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging)
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse - Black (Retail Packaging)
Price: 10.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, good price., 14 Oct 2013
My old Microsoft Intellimouse (6-7 years old!) started behaving erratically a few days ago, so I started to look around for a replacement. One problem I had was that a lot of mice are now made very much smaller than they used to be, probably to appeal to people who want to use one with a laptop, and don't want a bulky device. However, I have always found smaller mice to be awkward and uncomfortable to use, so I was determined to find one which was a reasonable size. I also wanted a wired mouse, as I hate messing around with batteries. I considered the Microsoft "Comfort" mouse, but at 16 plus delivery, it seemed a bit of a rip-off. I then found this one, and it fits the bill almost exactly. It is still a little smaller than my old mouse, but not by much, so it still feels pretty comfortable. The optical sensor seems to be better than my old ball-type. And it's a lot lighter. The only other downside, apart from the smaller size, is that the button switches are a lot louder and seem to be lower quality, although I admit that's a pretty subjective judgement. Time will tell if the buttons stand up to the hard use I'm going to put them through! At 10, with free super-saver delivery, the price is pretty reasonable too. Overall, a good product.

Aptii USB to 15 Pin Male Joystick Game Port Adapter UK
Aptii USB to 15 Pin Male Joystick Game Port Adapter UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good device if you have a favourite old game controller, 14 Oct 2013
When I bought a new PC about 3 years ago, I found that I could no longer use my faithful old "CH Mach 2" joystick, as all peripherals were now supposed to use the USB connectors. I started looking around for a solution, and found this device fits the bill exactly. It's very easy to set up - just read the leaflet to decide the closest match to your game controller type, move the 4-position switch to the appropriate setting, plug in the joystick, then insert the USB connector. The PC automatically recognises the device, and you can go straight to the control panel game controller app to set up your buttons and calibrate the joystick. It works very well with all my joystick-based games. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that the response to joystick movement isn't smoothly analogue. The joystick reading in Windows moves in a series of "steps", instead of being smooth. Although the steps are visible to the naked eye (for example when moving the steering wheel in "Grand Prix Legends"), they are small enough that it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on the games. Overall, this is a very good solution for a common problem.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2013 2:14 PM BST

Harrington Jacket Retro/Mod/ScooterXS-3XL
Harrington Jacket Retro/Mod/ScooterXS-3XL
Price: 25.99 - 34.95

1.0 out of 5 stars "Navy" Harrington jacket is actually BLACK, 4 Oct 2013
I was considering buying one of these jackets, but I was a little confused by the fact that the "Navy" version appears black on my screen. I tried various methods of adjusting my brightness and contrast, but as far as I can tell, the image really is black. I contacted Amazon about this, via their "image feedback" button, and they have just replied that "no change to the image is necessary". No other explanation, just that. So be warned. Apparently, if you order the "Navy" version of this jacket, you will actually receive a BLACK one. Ridiculous.

Rush to Glory: FORMULA 1 Racing's Greatest Rivalry
Rush to Glory: FORMULA 1 Racing's Greatest Rivalry
by Tom Rubython
Price: 10.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware!, 21 Sep 2013
Potential buyers of this book should be aware that, despite the similar title and imagery, this book has no direct connection with Ron Howard's excellent and well-research film "Rush".
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2013 4:18 AM GMT

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by FILMNIGHT
Price: 8.29

4.0 out of 5 stars The changing of the guard., 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
When Daniel Craig made his first appearance as Bond in "Casino Royale", there was a sense that the Bond "clock" had been reset to zero, as we were re-introduced to the character before he had his "00" licensed-to-kill prefix. I don't want to reveal too many spoilers, but this third outing for Craig reinforces that view, as we get to meet several favourite characters from the Bond series, but now played in their "early years" by new actors. I won't say any more on that, but just keep an eye open in the later segments of the film.

Apart from that, I'm sorry to say that Skyfall isn't all that memorable really. Yes, it has some good action scenes, including a great chase and fight on a train. But the actual storyline itself is a bit plain. I think I will have to get the DVD out again soon and watch it for a second time, to remind myself of the good bits, and maybe spot some details that I might have missed in my first viewing.

For me, this film is more of a signpost to the future, with the (re-)introduction of new faces playing old favourites. I hope the production team use those characters wisely and well in the future Bond films, and let them develop with the depth they deserve.

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference
by Nicolai M. Josuttis
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very instructive book., 26 Jun 2013
This is a very good book for those who want to learn to use the "nuts and bolts" features of C++ (especially the new features of C++11), but who don't need all the hoo-haa about object oriented programming. The code snippets clearly show how to use features such as vectors, associative arrays, strings, streams, range-based FOR loops, and just about everything else you might need. I can see that I'm going to be dipping into this book regularly for a long time to come as my knowledge and thirst for C++ grows.

Beechfield Slouch Beanie in black
Beechfield Slouch Beanie in black
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.
Price: 2.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Good in the cold, feels great., 26 Jun 2013
This hat is a really good product. It's good value, nicely shaped, doesn't fit too tightly, protects me from the cold, and washes well. Can't ask for anything more.

PIL Public Image Ltd Punk T-Shirt - All Sizes Available (Extra Large)
PIL Public Image Ltd Punk T-Shirt - All Sizes Available (Extra Large)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, feels great, washes great., 26 Jun 2013
As the headline says, this shirt is good value, has the authentic PiL logo, it feels great to wear, and has no problems when I wash it. Does exactly what it says on the tin, great item.

Chrome Toilet Cistern Lever
Chrome Toilet Cistern Lever
Offered by Valuezone
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Simples., 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Chrome Toilet Cistern Lever
After having problems with a lever which I bought at my local branch of B&Q, I ordered this at 7pm on a Friday evening, and the package arrived the following Tuesday morning. The internal actuating lever has a couple of different ways to be fitted, which allows for different types of cisterns, but it was easy to figure out how to do this to get the best operation, and the best angle for the chrome handle. I also needed to trim a small amount off the actuating lever, as the space in my cistern was restricted, but a junior hacksaw cut through the nylon plastic very easily. From the package hitting my doormat to completion of the job took twenty minutes flat. It couldn't have been easier.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3