Profile for vapo1 > Reviews

vapo1

Arizona Bay
Arizona Bay

3.0 out of 5 stars music spoils it, 17 April 2016
This review is from: Arizona Bay (Audio CD)
As some other reviewers have noted, the material is first rate (was Hicks ever less than hilarious?) but I found the music played over the skits to be very distracting. If they had stuck to playing the music in between Bill's routines like they do with the first 2 or 3 tracks on this album then that would've been a lot better, but most of this has music actually playing during them.

T.I.M.E.
T.I.M.E.
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars a future shock that will ---- you up, 31 Mar. 2016
This review is from: T.I.M.E. (Audio CD)
They don't make em like this any more. T.I.M.E is a fearless mission statement of hip hop with inventive breakbeat driven, sample heavy production and relentless emceeing. Verse after verse just hits you. I don't know what it all means (and I have to be in the right mood to listen otherwise it can become a bit of a slog) but there's no doubting this is one of the most underappreciated rap albums to come out of the early 90s. Busta Rhymes was never better than on this album, his solo albums are boring and one-dimensional in comparison.

Splatter University [DVD]
Splatter University [DVD]
Dvd ~ Francine Forbes

2.0 out of 5 stars Splatter University - 88 Films DVD, 12 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Splatter University [DVD] (DVD)
Bizarrely, one of the bonus features on this 88 Films DVD release of Splatter University is an interview with a movie critic who describes it as "one of the worst slashers I've seen, and not in a good way". He has a point. Splatter University looks more like a student project with haphazardly constructed scenes, lacklustre acting, and hard to make out speech that frequently gets lost amid the sound of other random noise going on. There were a few entire sentences of dialogue that I couldn't decipher. There's a bit of 80s style gore, nothing special but not too shabby either. The female lead is actually quite good to the point that she's miscast, looking more like she's accidentally wandered in from the set of a glossy 80s cop movie. But overall I'd only recommend this to slasher completists. This is not 'so bad it's good' territory, in my opinion, although some may think it is. One of the other bonus extras is a completely different film about some guys who get asked what their worst fear is. I don't know what else happens because I lost interest. 88 Films have done a nice job putting this package together but the content is very substandard.

Monolith
Monolith
by Shaun Hutson

3.0 out of 5 stars Monolith, 5 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Monolith (Paperback)
I read and loved all Shaun Hutson's books up to and including 'Renegades' when I was younger, but he kind of lost me with his move away from straight horror into crime fiction and I stopped checking for his books after that. Having heard this one was more of a horror based story I decided to give it a go. Monolith reminded me of his early books but with more emphasis on plot-building than gory stuff, although there's a good deal of squeamish bits in here too. Hutson's no-nonsense, almost clinically methodical way of describing characters and scenarios is still intact, and manages to create a nicely hypnotic atmosphere which is conducive to horror. However my main gripe is that he seems to rely too much on saying the same things over and over again. I lost count of the number of times a character 'muttered something under their breath', or 'nodded to themselves'. It seems like padding for padding's sake. And even though it's obviously fiction my believe-o-meter was in the red more than a few times, and there were a couple of unresolved questions when I finished. Despite that I found it pretty engrossing in places, so overall a decent read.

A Year Of Songs
A Year Of Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic festive treat for music fans., 10 Nov. 2015
This review is from: A Year Of Songs (Audio CD)
As if wowing the nation every tea-time with the best tv prog ever made wasn't enough, the Pointless host turns his hand to song and has come up with the best album in the history of recorded music. Even better than Lawnmower Deth's 'Oooh Crikey It's Lawnmower Deth' and R Kelly's 'The Best Of R Kelly'. Everyone I have played this album to has been reduced to tears instantly, some even before I pressed play - in fact all of them before I pressed play. This leaves no doubt that Alexander Armstrong (or "A-Arm" as he's known on da streetz) will bring world peace and ensure a harmonious future for the entire human race. Cheers!

Anthropophagus [DVD]
Anthropophagus [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tisa Farrow

3.0 out of 5 stars 88 Films - Anthropophagus, Uncut DVD, 14 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Anthropophagus [DVD] (DVD)
It's amazing that a film like this can remain banned in its uncut form for 35 years and yet something like the ludicrously gory 'Final Destination 4' can receive a mere 15 certificate on release, so who knows what's really going on in the movie censors' heads. This long-awaited uncut version of the infamous video nasty Anthropophagous looks like an episode of Scooby Doo compared to most of today's standard horror flicks. That aside, is it any cop? Well, yes and no. Despite looking not unlike a bunch of similar euro-horrors from the late 70s/early 80s era and also being pretty slow moving in places, it's not without a couple of acceptably squeamish scenes and a few minor scares (I actually almost jumped at one point). However I got most enjoyment out of the rubbish acting and dodgy english dubbing. Anyone who was a fan of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace should find enough laughably inept material in this to warrant a viewing. The scene with the tarot cards and the scene with a message written on the window were funnier than most comedies that come out now. Those looking for a coherent plotline might be confused, however those familiar with this genre know that all will become clear with the big reveal at the end - except that will not make any sense either. In fact considering how lazily paced this movie is, the final scene seems overly hasty.

88 Films's DVD version includes a bonus documentary about video nasties and some street in America where they used to be shown. It doesn't really have anything to do with Anthropophagous but is an interesting enough watch. Overall this is one mainly for euro horror/sleaze fans rather than casual horror fans. I've seen better but I've also seen much worse.