Profile for Calum > Reviews

Bookchair Deluxe Standard -blue
Bookchair Deluxe Standard -blue
Offered by Book Depository

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful item., 11 Nov. 2011
I use this to hold my drawing instruction books open and at an angle so that I can draw from the examples. It's especially helpful for paperback books that often don't lay flat. I used to have to use one hand to hold the pages open, or way it down with my pencil case. Now I can keep the book open with ease. I wouldn't be without it.

Drawing the Head and Hands
Drawing the Head and Hands
by Andrew Loomis

4.0 out of 5 stars Unrivalled guide to drawing the Head., 11 Nov. 2011
After having read so much about Loomis' books and having the first in the range of facsimiles (Figure Drawing For All It's Worth), I was eager to get my hands on the next reprint of these seminal drawing books. The teaching of drawing in Art Schools is something that has seen a decline in recent decades. There is some growth in the area in the US, but in the UK there is still minimal instruction in actual technique and drawing theory. As an art student wishing to draw accurate figures in my compositions I have turned to books to teach me the drawing skills I wish to learn. Having researched and bought several books on figures and anatomy, I can say that Andrew Loomis' books are by far the best of their kind and have been unsurpassed by those that followed. There are plenty of plates of Loomis' drawings to practice from and overall this book is a must have for any aspiring figurative artist.

If you felt that the section on drawing heads in Figure Drawing For All It's Worth was not enough, I would definitely suggest this book. Having said that I would say that the section on hands suffers the same fate as the section on heads in Loomis' previous book. Despite the name of the book, the section on hands is very restrictive for such a challenging subject matter and would have greatly benefitted from a few more plates of examples. I would recommend Burne Hogarth and Giovanni Civardi's books on drawing hands for further instruction in this area.

Inevitably the drawings are dated, some of them are very much stuck in the 1940's, but they are clear and precise. The subject matter will always be relevant and you will be hard pushed to find a more modern publication that covers this subject so clearly and comprehensively. It's just a shame these are only being reprinted one every six months, I would really like to get my hands on Creative Illustration.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2016 1:41 PM GMT

GENUINE Original DELL PA-21 PA21 65W AC Adapter Power Supply Charger with UK Mains Cable for DELL XPS M1330 INSPIRON 1318 15 1545 Laptops XK850 NX061
Offered by POWER SOLUTION SUPPORT UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement charger., 11 Nov. 2011
I bought this to replace the original charger for my Inspiron 1545. My old charger seemed to be damaged inside as my laptop had difficulty reading it, so I thought I would look into getting a new one before it gave up the ghost. This had decent enough reviews and was a much better price than getting a replacement charger from Dell. I plugged it in and it has worked no problem. I would say it is a bit chunkier and the cable is slightly shorter than the original Dell charger that came with the laptop, but these are only small niggles. The main thing is it works. Very pleased with this charger at such a good price.