Profile for Giles Deacon > Reviews

Carrie [Blu-ray] [2013]
Carrie [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ ChloŽ Moretz

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb performances, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Carrie [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
Whether or not you agree with the idea of remaking such a classic film such as Carrie, regardless this is a brilliant film. The acting in it is superb, especially that of Chloe Moretz who perfectly captures the character of Carrie, playing both the shy side and the sinister side expertly. I would highly recommend this film.

Aladdin Original Broadway Cast Recording
Aladdin Original Broadway Cast Recording

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Musical Transfer!, 3 Jun 2014
This has to be my favourite Disney to Broadway transfer! The music has been perfectly adapted for it, with the re-orchestrations and additional songs creating a brilliant selection of music and giving a jazzy sound. The cast are phenomenal, particularly James Monroe Inglehart playing the genie who gives an incredible performance as the frontman of the show. And of course there is a superb orchestra to top it all off.
Unfortunately I live in the UK so at the moment I don't stand a chance of seeing the show live, but I can only pray that it soon comes to the West End! It certainly deserves to.

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD]
Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor - 50th Anniversary Special [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Celebration!, 24 Nov 2013
Being a big fan of Doctor Who, this 50th anniversary special had a lot to live up to. And it did not disappoint! This is a brilliantly entertaining episode, cleverly explaining the events of the Time War and the mystery 'Doctor' who ended it. The script writing is at its best, the acting by all the cast is superb (especially from all 3 Doctor's, who's chemistry together worked perfectly) and the production itself is all round excellent. There are some clever references to past doctor's too!
All in all this is a brilliant tribute to an unprecedented TV series, perfectly celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who success!

Michael McIntyre: Showtime [DVD]
Michael McIntyre: Showtime [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael McIntyre

5.0 out of 5 stars At his best!, 25 Dec 2012
I've been a big fan of Michael Mcintyre for a while now, and this new DVD did NOT disappoint! He's at his very best in this tour, the jokes are fresh and new, and still equally as hilarious as his other shows! The dentist story in this DVD is possible my favourite long joke of his ever! Love it, definitely recommended it to anyone!!

Skyfall [DVD]
Skyfall [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect recipe for a great Bond film!, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: Skyfall [DVD] (DVD)
WIth Bond films, certain things are to be expected. The action, the explosions, the girls, the cars, and the oh-so witiful tongue in cheek (oh, and generally some sort of plot involving a evil villain). However, it is the moderation and balance of these things that determine whether the film is boring and predictable, or ridiculously absurd and unbelievable. Well, I reckon 'Skyfall' has the BEST balance of these things out of all the Bond films to date.

Lets get the plot out of the way first. I think the plot had the perfect balance. Not too overly complicated and unnecessarily detailed that you have to watch a good 5 times to get a grasp on what the hell happened, but equally not so simple and mundane that you feel like you're watching a compilation of action scenes for no discernible reason. I won't spoil any of the plot, but I will say I thought it was thought provoking enough to make you interested in what was going to happen and who is behind the "plot". That for me, is perfect Bond. I love that they brought back old characters such as "Q", who brought a new, fresh aspect to the franchise, re-introducing some nifty gadgets but on a constrained, sensible level. The surprise introduction of some characters was also very cleverly done, however I shan't spoil it. The action sequences were visually stunning. Superbly executed by the actors, and overall were very exciting to watch. And finally, the fact they brought back the Aston Martin DB5 for this film, is just the epitome of BAD-ASS.

This film, I believe, really did have everything required to make an amazing Bond film! For me, it is my favourite one yet, and is a perfect tribute to 50 years of Bond! Massive well done and thank you to everyone involved! Definitely recommend you getting this!

Sweeney Todd: The 2012 London Cast Album
Sweeney Todd: The 2012 London Cast Album

5.0 out of 5 stars Seen it live, by far the best cast!!! Incredible!, 26 Jun 2012
I listened to this album and was immediately convinced that this was by far the best cast of Sweeney Todd ever! I therefore went to see it live at the Adeplhi Theatre, and am now certain this is the best cast! Michael Ball is a superb Sweeney, with an amazing voice and terrific acting, perfectly capturing the emotions of the complex character Sweeney is, in my opinion is the best Sweeney ever. Imelda Staunton is simply incredible, she makes Mrs Lovett an extremely loveable character, and makes the audience sympathetic for her and Sweeney's shunning of her. Her acting is spot on for Mrs Lovett, and this combined with a solid singing voice makes her also in my mind the best Mrs Lovett. The rest of the cast are also great, all giving superb performances on the night I saw them (the one possible downfall being the actor of Pirelli who was not the best, weaker singing voice but good acting). I personally absolutely love this production and believe any Sweeney fan should value it high in the ranks. With Steven Sondheim being a fan of recording his productions and the limited album in the songs they released with this CD, I remain highly hopeful that they will film this production and release it on DVD as they have done in the past with other productions, particularly with it closing in September. Love it!

Rize Of The Fenix
Rize Of The Fenix

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, it's been too long!, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Rize Of The Fenix (Audio CD)
Cannot tell you how many times I have seen 'The Pick of Destiny', definetely a great film with great music. This album is their first since that film and has been a long time coming! Thankfully it is worth the wait!! They've stuck to their roots and the music sounds classically Tenacious D, and has great new songs and as usual funny lyrics. Defientely recommend this album to any fan of music!

Ramin
Ramin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly entertaining album!, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Ramin (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Ramin, seeing him live in the West End for Phantom of the Opera (and on the 25th Concert DVD) and Love Never Dies, seeing his tour last year called 'A Night with the Phantom', and seeing him in the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary DVD as Enjolras. Naturally I was highly anticipating this album, expecting the usual high standards he produces in his work. I was not dissapointed!

The song selection is perfect, showing off the stunning voice he has providing a good range of entertainment. I liked the range of songs, from his self-written tracks such as 'Coming Home', the covers of songs such as 'Guiding Light by Muse' and of course the two big numbers from POTO and LND; 'Music of the Night' and 'Til I Hear You Sing' which I particularly enjoyed the new interpretaion of. They are more than enjoyable to listen to, Ramin obviously sounds stunning, he really does have an inspirationaly, passionate voice that I could happily listen to all day. I highly reccomend anyone buys this album as it has the appeal for all types of music fans, and I can guarantee you will enjoy it!

The Woman in Black [DVD]
The Woman in Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by Venture Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, Atmospheric True Horror Film!, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black [DVD] (DVD)
This truly is a great horror film! Great story, perfect horror and brilliant acting by Daniel Radcliffe. Would truly recommend this to any film goer!

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by EagleDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film!, 3 Feb 2012
I saw this film twice at the cinema it was so good, and I enjoyed it just as much the second time as I did the first. Would highly recommend it to anyone!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6