Profile for R. Hillman > Reviews

Content by R. Hillman

R. Hillman (Scotland, UK)

Tefal Jamie Oliver Hard Anodised 5 Piece Saucepan/Frying Pan Set
Tefal Jamie Oliver Hard Anodised 5 Piece Saucepan/Frying Pan Set

1.0 out of 5 stars STEER WELL CLEAR!, 13 Sept. 2011
I rate this as a one star merely as that is the only option. These pans are simply awful. As other reviewers have pointed out = although these pans are suitable for use in a dishwasher the coating comes off and they look awful - not only that but the smooth surface actually becomes quite sharp in places. However it does point out in the instructions that whilst they are suitable for use in a dishwasher the coating may come off so we were warned.

My main hate of these pans comes down to the ridiculously heavy handles - I use a gas hob and if I put a pan on the hob and it is not at a precise angle it will simply fall off - exceptionally dangerous. Fine if it is weighted down with hot water but if you had a little hot fat in it could cause a serious injury.

Having had one set of pans for the last 8 years (Circulon by Analon - can't beat 'em)I wanted a pan set that I could shove in the dishwasher, were a good non stick coating (which admittedly these are - perhaps that is why they get their star!). I wish I had never bought these - they take the pleasure out of cooking!

York C202 Cycle
York C202 Cycle

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you're under 5'5", 25 Mar. 2010
This review is from: York C202 Cycle (Sports)
I spent an hour putting this bike together - climbed on and could not reach the pedals. At five foot two and a (very important) half inches and with thick soled trainers on I can only just make the pedals go round = by squirming my bum off each side of the seat and pointing my toes. I would not recommend this bike for anyone under 5'5" - aned even then I would think twice or see if you could try it out somewhere. There is a final hole on the stem of the bike post but the post does not go in far enough to utilise it. Very disappointed as the reviews were so good and I was looking forward to using it.

I guess I should comment that my 2 stars is solely because the bike is unusable for me - other than that I do not really see a problem with it - but I wanted to give it a low score to draw people's attention to the size of it.

On the plus easy to put together - I managed on my own with a toddler hindering me at every turn - everything was in the box - but a small box that I am going to have to fit everything back into. It seems very sturdy and looks quite smart and does not seem too too big for a feature laden product. A few scratches here and there which makes me wonder if I'm not the first to have had this one - and which would have annoyed me if I had been keeping it. It has a book rest which I thought was a good idea and an alternative to the tv as entertainment to keep you going! It also has a towel rail which can attach to the back of the seat. Cannot comment on the computer as I did not get as far as turning on the electrics - perhaps that makes it all shrink 3 inches?!?!

Additions to the above review:
My sister in law who is 5'6" could not reach the pedals on this cycle either - though she is longer in the body - which leads me to the following:
Since writing this review I have had contact with York who manufacture this product complaining of it's exclusive nature. They responded to comment that the suitability was not to do with height but with leg length and provided me with the following table as a guide to purchasing York bikes:

CYCLE MAX LEG LENGTH (CM) MIN LEG LENGTH (CM)
C101 90 65
C102 95 70
C201 102 78
C202 102 80
C301 102 70
C302 105 70
the table has pasted slightly off but hopefully you can make sense of it. I would comment though that presuming they are meaning hip to floor - my leg length is a tiny amount under 80cm and I was way off making it go round. Am ordering the C301 and will advise if it works!

Hope this helps.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2012 8:30 AM GMT

Mahjongg (Nintendo DS)
Mahjongg (Nintendo DS)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Mah Jong, 3 Jan. 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I suggested this game as a present for my husband from his mum as we both have mah jong sets and thought this might be a good idea to play on the ds without all the clearing up of the tiles afterwards.

In my opinion,. this is not mah jong as you would play it in real life. It is a glorified pairing game where you match your suits seasons and flowers into pairs and as you do so it adds a row of bricks to a building on the top screen. when you have paired up all the tiles, your building is complete. Kind of reminds me of a slightly more complex game a toddler would play where you tun over cards and match them up.

Sorry if I am missing something - but I have yet to find a game where you take tiles from the wall to collect 3 and 4 of a suit for pungs and kongs. Traditional Mah jong I always compare to Rummy (card game) in a PICK (from the wall), PLAY (if you have a pung or kong you would like to disclose), and THROW AWAY (a tile you do not need - someone else can then pick up if you like) sequence. The only resemblance this game has to the original game is that it maintains the suits, flowers and seasons.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2009 5:44 PM GMT