Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for T. D. Morris > Reviews

Content by T. D. Morris

T. D. Morris (Stuttgart, Deutschland)

Fidel [DVD]
Fidel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Victor Huggo Martin
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 hours, but not epic, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Fidel [DVD] (DVD)
I actually really enjoyed this film, but I'm trying to be objective - hence the 3 stars. I wanted to give 3.5 but couldn't come round to giving 4...
So first I should explain my review title.
Well this "film" actually comes in 2 parts, and pressumably was first shown on TV on 2 seperate days because there are credits half way through (end of disk 1). In total it is 3 1/2 hours long, but simply making a film long does not make it an automatic epic. Lawrence of Arabia is long enough to make Ron Jeremy jealous, and actually is epic. Whereas this film, despite its length, is just good.
The start of this film gave me a bit of an embarrassed feeling - like, oh dear, why did I think this was going to be worth watching? Victor Huggo Martin (playing Fidel Castro) gives an uncertain performance in his first major scene of the film, but throughout the heart of the film becomes quite a convincing character. Gael Garcia Bernal (playing Che Guevara) doesn't feature until well into the guts of the film, and has a relatively small role compared to the lead, but what he does he does well and it's not surprising the marketting team chose to put his name first on the film cover.
The film claims to stay true to the real story of Fidel, using artistic license when necessary, and I truely felt I was learning a lot by watching the film. It was ever so slightly like watching one of those documentary films they show in schools, a feeling exemplified by the fact that it comes in 2 parts.
I felt genuinely strong emotions through the film, which altered as the story plotted its course through Fidel's life. I admired, envied, hated and pitied the main character as the 3 1/2 hours passed - a real testament to the films dedication to giving an unbiased account of events. At the end of the film I was left wondering what motives were behind the production, as no motives at all seemed to be apparent.
Despite only giving 3 stars, I would recommend this film to anybody interested in learning more about Fidel and Che without having to open a book. But somehow the film seems so intent on being factual that it makes little extra effort to draw people deeply and emotionally into it. The lives of those involved are so fascinating that Hollywood style story telling wasn't required, but all the same it just seems to be lacking somehow.

Cherry eVolution SIRIUS XT Wireless MultiMedia Desktop Keyboard and Optical Wireless Mouse (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but... cheap, 19 May 2010
I bought this wireless keyboard and mouse set for 2 simple reasons:
1) I wanted a no-frills wireless setup to allow me to sit further from my 42" screen.
2) They were cheap.

On the 2nd count I'm very happy. This was a very cheap pair of devices. However, they also feel quite cheap.
On the 1st count, I'm gutted. In order to get either the mouse or the keyboard to operate even some of the time, I'm having to sit within about 1.5m of my computer (how can they advertise 10m range?). You can forget the "interference-free radio transmission" stated in the item description. On average I have to press a key 4 times to get it to register once, and that's when sitting 1.5 metres from the computer! The mouse is no better.
Since buying these I've actually opted to plug in my old keyboard and mouse with cables, because the range is the same and they're 100% reliable rather than 20%.
Read any good "setting up your wireless mouse and keyboard" guide and they'll tell you to position the receiver a good distance away from your computer... not possible with this set, since the wireless dongle is a simple USB fob.

Oh yes, one more thing. The wireless mouse doesn't even have an on-off switch, so the optical light is on CONSTANTLY! Absolutely terrible design! I haven't done a life-time test on the batteries yet but I'm not optimistic. When I stopped using these items (because they're rubbish) I had to remove the batteries entirely to prevent them running down.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2010 5:35 PM GMT

Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street [DVD] [2007]
Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars The Demon Barber of Boredom!, 7 Jan. 2010
Oh, what an awful, awful film this was!
I can find redeeming features in almost any film. I love filmography for the different perspectives and styles, and the different way people have of telling a story. But this is a film I didn't love at all, I didn't even like it. I found it painful to watch.

But as I said, I can find redeeming features in almost any film, so here's what was redeeming in this one:
- Obviously the acting was of a high standard. The big names in this film didn't get where they are today by being planks of wood. Depp is given very little to do in this film - constant staring into the distance is a bit remeniscant of Scissor Hands - but his subtle changes of face are, well they're okay.
- Sometimes they stop singing. What a saving grace! The songs are so awful that they made any scene without singing seem truly riveting! Because, as I said, this film has true actors (not singers) in it, so when they get to act they're pretty good at it.
- Sasha Boran what's his name. Okay, when I saw his name in the titles I thought, "what on Earth is HE doing in this film... surely this is a joke, some cashing in on his recent film success?" And yes, probably it is doing that a bit, but I actually thought his character brought some much-needed illumination into a very, very dull film.

I've definitely dedicated too much space to nice comments, so now onto what's wrong with the film:
- The music and songs are appalling! I admit that I'm not a big fan of musicals, BUT when they're done right they are magical and captivating. This was NOT magical, nor was it captivating. I could, and have, written better songs myself. I've never heard such boring songs in my life as when I watched this film. Ha hah! And it really makes me laugh to read other reviewers saying they look forward to getting the soundtrack!! I would rather sit in Sweeny Todd's barber-shop chair than listen to any of the music from this film again.
- Very slow plot. It seems that Tim Burton couldn't make a 1 hour film out of this story, so he filled 2 hours with a musical instead. There's definitely not enough content here for 60 minutes, and for me any film that's 112 minutes long must have enough content for at least 60 of those minutes. This film doesn't.

I'm so bored of thinking about this film that I can't write anymore. If you got bored reading this review, do yourself a favour and don't watch this film. If you enjoyed reading this review, do yourself a favour and don't watch this film. If you know anybody, do them a favour and make sure they don't accidentally or purposely watch this film. If you don't know anybody, find somebody, befriend them, then make sure they don't watch this film... they'll thank you for it :)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2011 9:43 AM BST

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (PS3)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but expected more, 10 Oct. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not going so say much that hasn't already been said in many other reviews of this game. The graphics are good but definitely not great. The features are pretty good and varied so there's plenty to do to keep things interesting, but no massive improvements on previous versions.

My main gripe (hence 3 stars instead of 4) is that there are too many glitches and/or things which are far from perfection.
For example, the photo game face feature doesn't work on my game. Maybe it works fine for other people, but on my system (even with personal support promised by EA) my PSN account cannot be linked to my EA account so I can't get my photo into the game.
For example, the commentators say the right things, but at the wrong time (AFTER the ball falls into the hole the commentator says - "this putt looks good, it could make the drop...").
For example, watch any reply of a short distance putt and the player's swing is much much too big for the size of the shot. It's a simple thing, but I think that it's these simple things that EA should get right.

All in all it's a good game which is fun to play, but doesn't stretch the new consoles (PS3 or XBOX). I haven't played PGA Tour 10, but while '09 is so much cheaper I think this is the best buy - and incidentally I bought my copy on the high-street as it retails for 10 - 15 GBP these days...

Blue Juice [DVD]
Blue Juice [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Pertwee
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cult Classic, 10 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Blue Juice [DVD] (DVD)
Before I start this review, I will warn you that it WILL be biased... I first watched this film as a young teenager, with a group of mates, probably high, and I loved it! Since then I must have watched the film 20 times or more, it's one of my favourites but I'll try to write an honest review all the same.

Like many British films, this is rather querky. There's a lot crammed into quite a short film, and as a result the film doesn't always flow very fluidly, but it's a fun ride if you don't take it too seriously.
Some big faces (Catherine Zeta Jones, Sean Pertwee, Ewan McGregor) give some really solid performances in this movie, but on the flip-side some lesser known actors (if they even are actors) give some performances that wouldn't seem out of place in a school play.
There is a varied and excellent soundtrack to the movie, good enough to stand the hairs up on the back of my neck at times.

I rated this film with 5-stars because that correlates to "I love this movie", but if I was giving a critical rating it would be 3.5 to 4 stars. The music is great. Some acting is very poor, but some is very good (Peter Gunn on ecstasy, great!). Some of the plot is weak, but the underlying plot is very strong. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, so the viewer shouldn't either. Watch with friends, alone, or with a partner, and this film should leave you feeling pretty happy with life.