Profile for Librarydragon > Reviews

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
by Helen Fielding

2.0 out of 5 stars v.v. bad., 13 Aug 2014
This book was such a disappointment. The original Bridget Jones was funny and original. This one is at best irritating. The scenes where she was at a meeting with a company that were actually considering buying her screenplay and instead of paying attention was constantly sending and receiving puerile texts made me want to slap her. If I was part of that company I'd have thrown her - and her phone - out, sharpish. She has the attention span of a goldfish and seems incapable of actually getting on with anything. The humour was contrived and in the most part not even funny, although with the occasional lapse into a genuine comical moment. It was perfectly clear who she was going to end up with from the earliest pages, and the journey to finally get there wasn't worth bothering with. I've given it two stars because it did now and again make me smile, but overall I thought it was v.v. bad.

Perfect People
Perfect People
by Peter James

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit tedious, really, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Perfect People (Paperback)
The basic plot of this is fascinating - designer babies. But it just didn't ring true for me. I thought there were lots of holes and unlikely things happening and I found myself thinking on several occasions 'how could that happen?' or something similar. A lot of it was predictable although there were one or two twists that I didn't see coming. Several reviewers have said they thought the book picked up towards the end but I disagree. I don't want to give anything away but when the parents were involved with the police the story stayed with them as though we the readers didn't know what had happened, but we did, so all that was pointless. We knew where we would end up. I stayed with it to find out what happened in the end, but it was tedious.

Backlash
Backlash
by Lynda La Plante

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and disappointing, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Backlash (Paperback)
This was the first Lynda La Plante book I have read, although I've seen some of her work on television and enjoyed it. This book was a real disappointment. It read almost like a manual, with every little lead, every phone call and every conversation reported. There was too much unnecessary and repetitive detail - 'You look nice,' 'Thank you'. Padding or what!! And far too much 'tell' and not enough 'show'. It was clear from the outset who had committed the crime, and I found myself skimming through the pages, hoping to find something interesting. The pace was slow, slow, slow. It quickened up towards the last part of the book and then victims were being discovered almost by the bucketload, so much so that I quite lost track of who was who and didn't care anyway. I didn't think the characters were particularly likeable or even realistic, and the ending was a drawn-out damp squib.

I've read some of the positive reviews here and I simply could not see what they saw. Each to their own of course but I don't think I'll be bothering with any more from this author.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 9:09 AM BST

White Bones (Katie Maguire)
White Bones (Katie Maguire)
by Graham Masterton

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much gore, 12 Mar 2014
First of all, this book is a good read. I was always keen to pick it up again after putting it down. It is also a good story. Why only three stars then? Like some other reviewers, I found the scenes of torture very unsettling and too graphic, and I’m sure we could have got the idea with less. Some other aspects of the story were a bit of a stretch – the list of requirements for the ritual to work seemed virtually impossible to gather together, I’d have thought. Even once, let alone several times as we were led to believe had happened in the past. And how the murderer knew that the victims selected fitted the bill, was not clear at all. I’d worked out who was heavily involved before Katie did – she didn’t seem to pick up on alarm bells that were clanging loudly, from more than one direction. Although there was a twist that I certainly didn’t see coming. The police didn’t seem particularly bothered, or at least some of them didn’t – going for a drink instead of interviewing someone who claimed to have found out something hugely significant seemed a bit careless, especially if you consider a young woman has gone missing and a murderer is on the loose. (Tom Thorne would never have done that!)
As I said, it was a good story, but the violence was sickening. If you like blood and gore, and a good plot, this is for you. Am I glad I read it? I don’t know.

Every Vow You Break
Every Vow You Break
by Julia Crouch

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but with a rushed ending, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Every Vow You Break (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book, and after putting it down was always ready to pick it up again. The pace was rather slow, I thought; halfway through and nothing much had happened.

I didn't particularly warm to Lara as she seemed a bit wet at times, and it irritated me that she seemed to think her daughter Bella should share the child care for her youngest child Jack, although she had very little else to do herself. And unless I missed something, they seemed to have been in the house for several hours before they discovered there was no hot water - did nobody want a wash? Yuck. Lara also unbelievably left her teenage children to pack for a six week holiday themselves, and then seemed surprised when they didn't have enough suitable clothes!!

They were without doubt a dysfunctional family and one of the most interesting facets of the story was the relationship between her two elder children, twins Bella and Olly; Lara seemed totally oblivious although there were numerous clues scattered around. What happened there, not only between the two of them but also with Bella's new American boyfriend, was a real hot potato that sadly was just left to cool off. Pity, as there was real mileage to be had from psycho Olly.

Instead the story concentrated on a rather predictable plotline - I'd worked out who was the baddie long before Lara had. Having said that though, it was still a good read and certainly picked up pace quickly at the end. The ending was a bit unlikely and we didn't get told how they dealt with the messy aftermath; which I thought was a bit of a cop-out.

My Secret Sister
My Secret Sister

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much self-pity makes it irritating and unbelievable, 22 July 2013
This review is from: My Secret Sister (Kindle Edition)
Having read the blurb on the back cover, I thought this would be a powerful read, but it rapidly turned into a less than credible story of child abuse and neglect. I know this is based on a true story but for me at least,it started to lose credibility quite early on with Helen relating incidents from when she was only a toddler in a pram. I can't believe many people can remember that far back. Other incidents seem unlikely as well, such as when she was beaten black and blue with a belt by her father, across her back and bare legs she says. How come this was never noticed at school? I grew up around the same time as her and schools even back then would not ignore such obvious signs of abuse. Another incident left her with a broken ankle for days before she was taken to hospital where apparently the doctors never realised the injury hadn't just happened. It was more like an incident from Victorian times. The rest of her family seemed totally oblivious of her plight as well. I found it hard to believe, and because of the self-pitying manner the story was written in, I lost sympathy with her. I felt the story would have had more power if she had related her awful childhood in a more matter-of-fact way. Over-egging the pudding comes to mind.

If you enjoy this kind of 'horrendous childhood' saga then it will be a good read for you, and it does end on a positive note. The problem is that if you're writing a true story, things have to be credible. If they are not credible, then even if they are true, to get that across needs careful handling and clever writing. The way this story was written, the problem was not handled, leaving behind a feeling of disbelief.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2013 10:15 AM BST

Black Widow
Black Widow
by Jessie Keane

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but quickly became unlikely, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Black Widow (Paperback)
Never judge a book by its cover, goes the old saying. How right that is. The blurb on the back looked good. Annie's husband and child are snatched away in a split second. A missing child - the hook is in straight away, but unfortunately the rest of the story did not live up to the promise. This woman, wife of a powerful gangland boss, has to find a huge ransom or her little girl will be returned to her in pieces. The kidnappers allow her considerable time to raise the money, jolly decent of them really, considering they have a very small child to keep concealed. Which they did with amazing ease just by keeping her drugged although none of them had any idea of how much sedative they should administer. It seems you can keep a small child sedated for weeks on end without causing damage - who'd have thought that?

Annie didn't actually appear to do anything to raise the ransom money, in fact one of the first things she did was to close down what seemed to be the only things in her husband's empire that were making any money, his nightclubs. And that was because she didn't like the direction the clubs were going. I'd have thought she would have more pressing matters to attend to, but that's just me. Unbelievably, she even managed to go for a shopping day out with her friend, putting the whole difficult business out of her mind for a few hours. There was one possible solution offered by a local mafia boss but Annie didn't want to accept that - I guess there are limits to what you would do in order to save your child's life.

Other aspects of the story were completely untouched - for example, there must have been a great amount of blood left behind in the swimming pool. Surely the police must have been informed? They didn't come around asking awkward questions, though.

The story just didn't ring true and was littered with four-letter swear words, much of them unnecessary. Yes, if you are speaking with the voice of one of your characters but otherwise? Not needed, just tacky shock tactics. I found myself skimming through it after a few chapters. I wanted to know the fate of the little girl but to get to that point was dull, dull, dull.

An Absolute Scandal
An Absolute Scandal
by Penny Vincenzi

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and readable, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: An Absolute Scandal (Paperback)
This book had been sitting on my shelf for ages; my daughter gave it to me but said she didn't think much of it so I left it alone. I eventually picked it up and took it to work so I'd have something to read if I had nothing better to do at lunchtimes.

Well, I didn't agree with my daughter's opinion as I really liked it. The amount of characters in it was a bit daunting and took some sorting out but once I'd worked out who was who, it racketed along nicely. The Lloyds scandal theme I remembered vaguely from years back - a handful of rich people getting clobbered - how sad, hard cheese. But you got to know them and they weren't all rich people who got their fingers burned; you felt really sorry for them and their terrifying situation. I did think the choppy style the book was written in was a little hard to keep up with at times and I'd have preferred to stay a bit longer with one person's story rather than lots of little bite-sized chunks but even so it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. Actually for my own lunchtime purposes it sometimes came in quite handy!

Some reviews have said they thought the book suffered from plot sag in the middle but I didn't think so. I thought the way the book wound up was very neat - regardless of the outcome of the court case, each character found a way forward and the story left me feeling satisfied with it, and that's something that some books fail to do.

Something Untoward: Six Tales of Domestic Terror: Six Tales of Domestic Terror
Something Untoward: Six Tales of Domestic Terror: Six Tales of Domestic Terror

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle users beware!!, 23 May 2013
I bought the Kindle version of this book and I was somewhat taken aback to find I had read all the stories although the book was only 50% through, and the other 50% was taken up by an extract from a forthcoming book. It could be my own fault for not checking closely enough although I didn't see anything that informed me this would be the case before I downloaded it. I felt somewhat cheated because I certainly don't want to read part of a book. I like Sophie Hannah, and these short stories were ok. But they were very short, and overall I was rather disappointed.

AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream 100 ml
AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handcream ever!, 29 April 2013
I was given a free sample of this handcream when I was on holiday and visited the Dead Sea. I didn't try it out at the time or I would have bought some there and then, but when I did I knew I wanted more. It has a lovely fresh and light fragrance and leaves your hands feeling beautifully soft and supple. The cream takes a little while to settle into your skin but is well worth the wait. Not the cheapest handcream ever but not that expensive either. I bought three tubes, one each for me and my two daughters, and they both loved it as well.

Page: 1 | 2