Profile for Andrew R > Reviews

Content by Andrew R

Andrew R (Sandhurst, UK)

LOVE MY CASE / Earphone Case, cover, shell - Clamshell Style with Zip Enclosure, designed Inner Pocket, Durable Exterior

1.0 out of 5 stars Review alternatives before you buy., 21 July 2014
There are cheaper alternatives that will do exactly the same thing.
Not sure why I didn't buy one of those rather than this, but I returned it due to product and pricing dissatisfaction the lovely people at Amazon gave me a refund!

The Odessa Tapes [CD+DVD]
The Odessa Tapes [CD+DVD]
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A legend and a band., 8 Oct 2012
I agree with absolutely everything Weedavie has said.

When I first saw the track listing, I didn't really see that I needed yet another version of "Dallas". How wrong I was!
This has a fuller, better produced feel than their first "official" release, ( known as "More A Legend Than a Band" ), which is quite ironic as this is just their demo material.

If you love The Flatlanders, or just like Americana, your collection will not be complete without this.

Great interview with Jimmie, Joe and Butch, looking back on how the band got it's name, stories surrounding the recording session, and a wonderful version of "I Know You".

Get this- you will not be dissapointed

Shape Shifter
Shape Shifter
Price: 7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back- I've missed you!, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Shape Shifter (Audio CD)
When I received this CD, on the (broken!) CD case is a sticker proclaiming that the album has been 20 years in the making.
I have been waiting much longer than that for this!

One Amazon reviewer has shared his opinion that Santana fans are not waiting for an album like this. I could not disagree more.

Granted, if a Santana album means to you an endless supply of guest artists, radio edits and ego boosting name checks every 30 seconds, then maybe this album is not for you. Never mind, if you quickly turn on MTV something will be along in the next 5 minutes that will be the next big thing.

If you longed for a Santana album of old, maybe your wait is now over. Granted, there may nothing of the quality of Samba Pa Ti, Europa or Toussaint L'Overture, to name but 3, however there is much to love here.

Only one track has vocals, but years ago, when I first started listening to Santana, instrumentals seemed to be more common than vocals anyway.
So sit back and enjoy the music!

I would agree that the album art is not great, and it would be nice to know which musicians played on which track, but that is a small complaint.

This album might not win 10 Grammys or be as commercially successful as Supernatural, but for me it is a great return to form. Is it a retrograde step? No. It is a brave move to turn away from a proven format (although less successful for each successive album)back to just him and the band.

Santana albums at times seem to go in 3's-( the Latin rock influenced Santana, Abraxas, Santana 3; Jazz fusion Caravanserai, Borboletta and Welcome; guest artist led Supernatural, Shamen, All That I Am ). If this is the case here, then I will be a very happy fan for the next few years. Who knows, he may even turn his back on London's o2 and return to the Hammersmith Odeon!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2013 12:51 PM BST

Travels in Outback Australia: Beyond the Black Stump
Travels in Outback Australia: Beyond the Black Stump
by Andrew Stevenson

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to say...... and no skill to say it., 19 Mar 2011
Don't bother reading this book.

If you want to be preached at via the authors completely contrived dialogue concerning the Aboriginal issue, then go ahead, but you will not learn anything.

The book starts with the typical cliche-ridden description of the Australian people and their language, and continues in much the same way throughout.

The book is approx 230 pages. If you take out the aforementioned dialogue about half the book is left. This guy travelled thousand of kilometres around one of the most fascinating countries, and he fits this into just over 100 pages.

There is one section when he is on an 8 day guided tour around the Kimberleys, up to Darwin. With one exception, ("Gemma with a G" as he continually tells us) he uses nicknames for everyone all the time. Hilarious! He seems to remember pages of conversations with locals on their thoughts about the Aboriginal population, but cannot remember peoples names. This is supposedly a serious author, but he just uses lazy, childish styles such as this.

Honestly, save your time and money. I have not been able to put here how frustating this book is. I was amazed when I checked that he had written 5 others. I, for one, won't be reading them!

USB Turntable TTUSB05
USB Turntable TTUSB05

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, Very easy to use, 22 Dec 2007
I had been toying with the idea of buying a USB turntable for quite some time- I am very pleased to have chosen this one.

I bought it from ACS Media ,it arrived within two working days!

Very simple to set up,first just straight into my stereo system ( make sure that you plug it into the aux plugs not the phono, due to the pre-amp on the turntable), but then I managed to start converting records very quickly.

It comes with all the software to convert vinyl via USB cable, or alternatively download the EZ Vinyl Converter via their website. Very good explanations for required settings for Vista.

All in all, incredibly easy and quick to use. There may be "professional" products costing alot more that will give a better quality of sound, but this is an excellent entry level product, and will certainly suit all my needs.

I'm just sorry I didn't buy one earlier!

Sings Beatles And Dylan
Sings Beatles And Dylan

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money!, 4 Sep 2007
This review is from: Sings Beatles And Dylan (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the previous comment- a very dissapointing album. Very cold and lifeless. Unfortunately a waste of a good idea.

Don't bother buying it!

Stardom Road
Stardom Road
Offered by MediaMerchants
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This CD.......Now!!, 22 July 2007
This review is from: Stardom Road (Audio CD)
This simply is a fantastic album. Fivs stars do not do it justice!
A great range of songs, all perfectly executed.

There are no duff tracks, however my favourite has to be Happy Heart- I have loved this song for a while, but boy, this version is good. There is also a fantastic version of the Gene Pitney song "Backstage", and a wonderful collaboration with Anthony (from Anthony and the Johnsons).

I hadn't bought any Marc Almond stuff for a few years, and was in two minds about this until reading all the reviews. It has turned out to be the best CD I have bought in ages.

DRINKWELL PET FOUNTAIN
DRINKWELL PET FOUNTAIN
Offered by Cambridge Pet Store
Price: 38.86

1.0 out of 5 stars You can lead a cat to water but..., 31 May 2007
This review is from: DRINKWELL PET FOUNTAIN (Misc.)
I was recommended by my vet to buy one of these water fountains, due to my pet's urinary problems. I therefore did what research I could do, found this to be the most suitable product and found a good price.

Buying it is one thing, getting him to drink from it is something else!

I have only had it for about a month, and cats are notoriously stubborn, and so for the moment it only gets one star. Maybe I will improve this rating later.

I'm not saying that it is the fault of the product, however, if you are going to buy one maybe you should give it another thought before you do.

Although when I see the vet I get brownie points for buying it, apart from that it was a complete waste of 40!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2009 8:34 AM BST

Amigos
Amigos
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 7.74

5.0 out of 5 stars An often ignored gem., 12 May 2002
This review is from: Amigos (Audio CD)
After the seriousness of the previous 3 group studio albums( Caravanserai, Welcome and Borboletta ) this album was so refreshing, and yet just as excellent musically.
Get absorbed into Dance Sister Dance, just letting the music flow over you, and then effortlessly into Take Me With You. The start of Let Me shows how good the arrangements always are- percussion, then bass, more percussion, with the bass player working overtime right through. The spanish guitar on Gitano, seemingly so effortless, congas, a bit of bass, and then keyboards. Armando Peraza showing his years of experience gets the writing and vocals credit.
Tell Me Are You Tired starts simply, then gets toe tapping, with fantastic vocals from Greg Walker and backing singers.
Europa is just as good as that other Carlos Santana standard Samba Pa Ti. Amazingly beautiful,it shows what a world class guitarist he is, and the strength of the band- it isn't cluttered, Carlos gives others a chance, it is almost what he leaves out makes it so good- he isn't showing off, because he doesn't need to. Awesome.
Finally, Let it Shine- a spiritual track to close. Maybe a bit of theft from Isaac Hayes' Shaft Theme with the bass at the beginning, but that soon goes, with the chorus providing a feel good factor.
This is the first review that I have done, and it is difficult. What I do know is that I have been listening to this album on vinyl and CD since the late seventies, and it is one of my favourites. It maybe not as influental as the first three Santana albums, or as spiritual as the next few, but it mixes all that is great about the band before they got more mainstream (Shango and Beyond Appearances). The fusion of the outstanding percussion section, bass, the understated keyboards all being held together Carlos and the vocals of Greg Walker. This is authentic latin rock that non-latins can also enjoy.