Profile for Fusspot > Reviews

Fusspot

Wish You Were Here
Wish You Were Here
by Graham Swift

3.0 out of 5 stars but it was a good way of creating the effect of the characters' thought ..., 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Wish You Were Here (Paperback)
This was a Bookclub choice. I don't think I have seen more question marks in a novel, or brackets, which I found irritating after reading the book for a period of time, but it was a good way of creating the effect of the characters' thought processes, who, I thought were well developed and believable. (Of course this is subjective.). The staccato phrasing, however, (as you would hope) did manage to convey some very taut emotion. There were some very witty turns of phrase - "can you can have something up your sleeve if you've got nothing on?". However, the continuous repetition - rephrased naturally - of the thoughts and self-questioning of the characters (of whom there were relatively few) meant - for me - that this book was about twice as long as it needed to be. 6/10

Syno 5ml Vital Hyaluronic Acid - Pack of 30 Sachets
Syno 5ml Vital Hyaluronic Acid - Pack of 30 Sachets

4.0 out of 5 stars The answer I've been looking for?, 10 Nov. 2013
I'm not sure it is helping my arthritis as much as I had hoped, but my skin is looking fantastic. Even my beautician has commented. And my thin hair has got thicker. Which are both welcome 'side effects'.

The Towers of Trebizond (Flamingo)
The Towers of Trebizond (Flamingo)
by Rose Macaulay

4.0 out of 5 stars Aunt Dot and the camel, 16 Aug. 2011
This book was selected as this month's read by my book club. The concensus was that it was a book of three parts, the last of which although short, did not add anything to the book as a whole and could have been dispensed with. We all agreed the middle section was far easier to read than the first. I personally found the subject, travelling through Anatolia and the Levant as part of a Christian missionary group in the Fifties interesting as a history/geography lesson, not being a Christian nor familiar with this part of the world. Not to mention the many references to Greek mythology. The writing style was sophisticated and the book was very amusing in parts. Many of the observations made by Laurie (Rose Macauly) still apply today. Marks awarded ranged from an apologetic 'I am sorry I just couldn't get on with it' four to a 'glad I stuck with and will read again' 8.

Philips GC4730/02 Azur Steam Iron with Ionic Deep Steam and Auto Shut-Off - 2400W

2.0 out of 5 stars The original is better, 21 Jun. 2011
I bought this iron for my Mother. The iron is heavy, doesn't slide on the fabric as easily as the Philips irons usually do, but worst of is the position of the button for the Ionic Deep Steam function. This is on the underside of the handle. Given the grip required to control the iron I am forever pressing the button, which makes the iron make an irritating noise and with no visible benefit. However, the cord is long, the filler spout wide and the water jug supplied does fill up the reservoir completely. If I had known about the irritating Ionic Steam button's position I would have stuck to the "original" Phillips Azur iron, which I find wonderful.

I Remember Nothing and other reflections
I Remember Nothing and other reflections
by Nora Ephron

5.0 out of 5 stars a good night in, 4 May 2011
This is a lovely easy read funny book that is almost as good a night in with a girlfriend.

Enjoy!

Alessi Press Filter Coffee Maker, 8 Cups, (9094/8)
Alessi Press Filter Coffee Maker, 8 Cups, (9094/8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 25 Mar. 2011
This is a beautiful bit of kit for your kitchen. Easy to use as there is no 'pouring lip' on the lid as with so many other cafieteres. Stainless steel cage comes up a treat when washed, if you are using it to serve coffee after a dinner party for example, grips the glass beaker well and feels solid.

Perfect.

Alessi Scoiattolo Squirrel Nut Cracker AB13
Alessi Scoiattolo Squirrel Nut Cracker AB13
Offered by Simply Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical?, 25 Mar. 2011
Looks great, but I am not sure how practical it is. On the other hand I don't eat a lot of nuts so maybe that won't be a problem!

It is quite large and heavy for a nutcracker, and I wouldn't like to let young children play with as their fingers could easily be squashed.

But as an inexpensive bit of sculpture for the sideboard it can't be faulted
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2011 1:21 PM GMT

The Society Portrait: Painting, Prestige and the Pursuit of Elegance
The Society Portrait: Painting, Prestige and the Pursuit of Elegance
by Gabriel Badea-Päun

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh if only ..., 25 Mar. 2011
Oh if only I could paint like these artists, or even waltz about in some of the fabulous clothes.

The reproductions on the whole were very good, but occasionally the colour wasn't true.

However, an inspirational, informative book that will be 'dipped' into regularly