Profile for Mrs. SA Fagan > Reviews

Content by Mrs. SA Fagan

Mrs. SA Fagan "sandrafagan"

A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
by Jack Monroe

5.0 out of 5 stars No need to break the bank to make delicious food!, 1 Mar 2014
I have followed Jack's blog for a while, making some of her recipes along the way and have enjoyed all of them. Had the book delivered to me on Thursday and spent Thursday night trying to decide what to make first! The great thing with this book is that there's no need to go out and spend a fortune to make any of the recipes - I decided to make the white chocolate tea bread and the white chocolate and peanut butter frozen yogurt and the sum total I needed to spend outwith my store cupboard to make these yummy weekend treats was 99p (for three bars of white chocolate).
I am also making her chicken liver bolognese tonight (not in the book but on her blog) for the princely sum of 50p for the chicken livers as have everything else in.
I don't have a ridiculously over stocked kitchen so its great that this has been all I have needed to spend for some delicious food.
This is a fantastic book for people cooking in the real world who don't have a bottomless pot of money to buy fancy ingredients and don't have a huge amount of time to cook but want to eat well.
I give it six stars!!

Mincespiration!
Mincespiration!
by Dean Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars My new go-to cookbook!, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mincespiration! (Hardcover)
I was looking around for an everyday cookbook and decided to go for this as mince is something we buy every week and end up cooking the same old Spag Bol and Chilli. On receiving this book I had a look though it and can honestly say I would like to make every recipe in it - something I can't say about any other cookery book I own! I really struggled to decide what to cook first and finally decided on the spicy shepherd's pie which was straightforward to make and smells delicious in the oven as I type this review up. There is a short dessert section at the back of the book so decided to make the chocolate sauce pudding to follow.
The recipes in the book all seem fairly straightforward with lemongrass probably being the most difficult ingredient to source so no expensive speciality ingredients to buy. Dean also advises you to use his recipes as a base to adapt as you see fit and as his recipes are so simple, there are plenty of ways to tweak them if you like to play around with flavours. I also like the fact that the portion sizes are suitable for 'healthy' appetites - no tiny portions here!
All in all I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to work my way through this book - no more boring mince dinners for us!

Trade Mark Collections Disney Minnie Mouse It's Kitch Backpack with Bow
Trade Mark Collections Disney Minnie Mouse It's Kitch Backpack with Bow
Offered by The One Stop Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Minnie Mouse backpack, 19 July 2012
What can I say? The backpack more than lived up to its photograph. Minnie's bow is just so over the top it's wonderful! My three year old granddaughter loves it to bits and it's sturdy enough to cope with her constantly packing and unpacking it with her dolls. Great price and excellent value for money.

Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite cook books already!, 23 Jan 2011
What can I say - I don't consider myself to be an amazing cook, but somehow for the past few years Nigella's cook books have been helping me 'get away with it' and this book is no exception. A few minutes preparation yesterday was all it took to create the 'Asian braised shin of Beef' and yet the results would have led anyone to believe I had spent hours in the kitchen. The meat could be cut with a spoon and the sauce was the kind that just made you want to lick your plate clean! Same again with the 'praised chicken' - a delicious yet simple to make recipe.
Treat wise, the 'Everyday brownies' and the 'sweet and salty crunchy nut bars' were again so simple to make and all to easy to eat. Ideal recipes for someone like me who is fairly clumsy and impatient in the kitchen and doesn't want to spend hours fiddling about to make something delicious all the time.
I love the spread of cuisines in this book, from asian,to mexican to italian to american - not necessarliy authentic all the time, but who cares when the results taste so good!
My son bought me this book for Christmas (definitely an ulterior motive as he wanted the recipe for the sweet and salty crunchy nut bars) and it has been well used already. This will be one cook book that doesn't sit on the shelf gathering dust!

Kenwood Patissier MX275 Mixer, 4 Litre, 400W (Cream)
Kenwood Patissier MX275 Mixer, 4 Litre, 400W (Cream)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Patissier!, 20 Sep 2008
I am one of it seems, many who found this wonderful machine while craving a KitchenAid mixer. I am so glad I decided to give this a go. It is very sturdy, looks beautiful in my kitchen and copes with my regular bread making sessions with ease. Cakes are a doddle to make also - too easy really to be any good for my waistline. It compliments my dualit hand mixer and Magimix food processer beautifully. I wouldn't swap it now for the world (and I saved £200 pounds on my once desired KitchenAid into the bargain!)