Profile for N. Thomas > Reviews

Content by N. Thomas

N. Thomas (Suffolk, UK)

To Kill Or Be Killed (DIC Novels)
To Kill Or Be Killed (DIC Novels)

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining story, poor editing, 16 July 2014
I enjoyed the storyline, but this book would have benefited from some proof reading and a good editor. In particular, the author seemed to have run out of commas and semi colons, making some longer sentences much harder to read than necessary.

Remote Control humax foxsat-hdr-san
Remote Control humax foxsat-hdr-san
Offered by Ronnies Remotes

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 16 Jan 2013
The original remote had been getting steadily worse, with often-used buttons (like OK) needing multiple presses. Over Christmas it finally died. The front panel of the Foxsat HDR doesn't seem to let you playback (no Media button) so this was pretty serious.

This replacement arrived quickly. It works great. The button mappings aren't all absolutely obvious; there was a slip of paper in the packaging but it wasn't very legible. However it only took a few minutes to find that Media was mapped to PC/HD, and we were off to the races.

I am still getting used to the strange layout, but it does all work - so why pay more.

Sennheiser PMX 80 Eco Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphones for Sports
Sennheiser PMX 80 Eco Rugged Stereo Neckband Headphones for Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser rugged headphones - neat, great sound, but rather uncomfortable, 30 July 2011
I got these because 2 previous pairs of Sony in-ear over-the-head earphones had failed. In each case one of the earphones started intermittenltly losing sound.

The Sennheisers look really good, and have even better sound than the Sonys (as they should for twice the price). They are quite springy so grip firmly and are good for sports use. There is no volume control (not a problem for me) and a single sturdy cable disappears into the left hand side of the headband - so it should last longer with fewer and better protected weak points in the wiring.

But I also like to use my phones while sunbathing - and there I have a problem. The band round the neck tends to sit at the back of the head, and so it can get in the way when sitting or lying back against a chair, and if you twist the band down to neck level the earpieces don't fit correctly in the ear. Not ideal.

Panasonic Accessory Kit for HS60/TM60/TM55/SD60/H85/T50/S50 (VBK180 battery,Case,VW-BC10 Charger)
Offered by Esale Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Panasic SD60 accessory kit - good value, disappointing case, 3 July 2010
I bought this for the spare battery and charger (the SD60 doesn't come with a separate charger; you have to plug the camcorder into the mains directly to charge the battery). Bought separately, the Panasonic Battery Charger for HS60/TM60/TM55/SD60/H85/T50/S50 and the Panasonic Lithium Battery for HS60/TM60/TM55/SD60/H85/T50/S50 (3.6V,1790mAh,6.5Wh) come to more than the price of the accessory kit.

The case itself is not very good; It is soft, with little padding; it has a central (lengthwise) divider and a velcro band to hold the camera but there are no safe pockets for spare SDHC cards etc - everything just sits in the compartment. The spare battery and charger barely fit in, and any loose/small accessories are quite likely to fall out. Still, in effect it is free, so what can you expect? I will probably pack the spares in my luggage and carry what I need in my camera case.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Njoy balance board - just as good as the real thing, 3 July 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This board was bought as a gift to replace a Nintendo brand board that had been reclaimed by its owner (brothers - who needs 'em). I was a little nervous of the non-Nintendo brand, but I needn't have been. It works exactly like the real thing, as well as having a sexy blue light at each corner which light up when the board is operational.

Does what it says on the box...

Epson Stylus Office BX310FN All-in-One Printer (Individual Inks, Fax, Ethernet Network Ready)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to share, cheaper to run, 1 Feb 2010
I bought this network printer because I was fed up with sharing a local (Lexmark 4350) printer between the three or four laptops / desktops in the family office, and especially making sure the server it was connected to was actually switched on.

The last straw for the Lexmark was the addition of a Windows Vista laptop alongside the rest of our XP servers. No way could we get the laptop to be able to use the printer - even with help from Lexmark's tech support. The more we fiddled about, the worse things got - so even my XP laptop couldn't print.

So I found this Epson Stylus Office BX310FN as the best looking low cost networked printer. I went for the Ethernet option, rather than wifi, to keep things as simple as possible.

The printer is attractive; it's a little noisy in operation - especially the first page in a job, but the multisheet document feeder is a real boon for copying and scanning (careful though - it really doesn't like any slightly crumpled originals - it will jam quite easily). I particularly like that you can scan multiple single pages to a single target from the doc feeder or from the document table.

The print quality is fine for my purposes, and best of all the ink seems to last better than the Lexmark - especially the black cartridges (most of our printing is B+W; we almost never print photo-quality). I am looking forward to saving money on the separate colour cartridges - changing each colour as it empties.