Profile for R. P. Smith > Reviews

Content by R. P. Smith

R. P. Smith "Paul Smith" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Damage: An adventure in courage, survival and the pursuit of dreams
No Damage: An adventure in courage, survival and the pursuit of dreams

4.0 out of 5 stars A 30 something of a different social order to my own, 28 Feb. 2015
I'm probably much older than many readers of a book like this so my judgement is based upon my many years on the planet and from a different kind of social order - quite different to that described in the book.

The book is a journey of a 30 something who has had some unfortunate experiences, many of which are shared in the book. I think the character in the book (the author I believe) was a bad chooser and her lack of self belief meant that she leaned on people rather than relying on her own strength of character to pull her along through life. Many people who have a closeted childhood, in my experience, are like the character described here and sometimes I wanted to shake her out of her self obsessed stupor and wake up to smell the coffee.

However, the story was a roller coaster that played on the emotions and resonated with many of my experiences (I also lost my mother when she was quite young to Cancer) and those of my children who also had a very sheltered upbringing (I thought I was doing the right thing but being tougher on them would have been better for them).

I found myself laughing and crying with Kathryn along the way but mostly I found myself irritated by the decisions she made and her self justification for some of the awful decisions.

Having vented those prejudices, I would say that the book is well worth reading, particularly for the 30 somethings that inhabit the western world, for there are many lessons that, in my day, were learnt in the teens and early 20's - but things are different now.

The really strong message from the book I fully endorse. You can do anything if you set yourself goals and then measure your progress against these goals. The other lesson is that you should believe in yourself as there are many people who are willing to pull you down; it is they that have the problem, and not you.

Despite my irritation at the shallowness of the current round of 30 somethings, I enjoyed the book and it gave me an insight that I would not have had otherwise.

What Haunts Me (Ghost Killer - Book I)
What Haunts Me (Ghost Killer - Book I)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, Well Written, Recommended, Very Well Edited, 12 Feb. 2015
This is a story about George, the Ghost Killer, who comes of age after he'd been "coerced" (read the book!) to forget about his abilities.

It is a story in the Ghostbusters camp - a lot of imaginative ideas and a lot of new concepts - perhaps a few of them could have been omitted and saved for the sequel?

Overall it is a well rounded book with a twist at the end that I had suspected but hadn't really guessed. A tale of good and evil and I will leave it to you, when you read the book, to determine who wins.

Charlie Robot
Charlie Robot

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, you'll read it too quickly, 7 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Charlie Robot (Kindle Edition)
What a roller coaster of a story! Lightly written in first person (and there's a real twist to that too) and so easy to read that I finished it before I could blink and was so disappointed that I'd like a sequel.

The story is about an advanced robot - artificial intelligence of the first order. Well he goes missing and someone else has to step into his shoes so that the robot's inventor can impress the investors. The rest, well you'll have to read for yourself. Lot's of humour too (or humor, if you must spell it this way).

Most of the characters are well formed and I definitely felt the personalities of the people with money who want even more money by lending it to gifted people so that their gifts can make those with wealth even richer!

Buy it - you'll enjoy it.

His Name was Ben
His Name was Ben
by Paulette Mahurin

5.0 out of 5 stars ... of book I normally read but I am very pleased that I took the time to do just that, 24 Oct. 2014
This review is from: His Name was Ben (Paperback)
I'll be honest to start - this isn't the kind of book I normally read but I am very pleased that I took the time to do just that.

The book is a love story but so different to the usual slush that (in my professional capacity) I read only so far because I can't finish them. No so this one and the book stayed with me long after the last page. I will not spoil the story by giving it away but here are two people who really deserve each other; both have major psychological issues who, because they are together - selflessly (the essence of real love), work through them.

There are always minor niggles with a book but they really are too small to mention and they are down to us each having a different writing style and the cultural differences between the English speaking world. Vive la difference is what I would say.

A rich book with strong characters and I admit to a dampness in the corner of the eye as I finished the book. No, not a tear, not me ;)

Ghost of Gallipoli
Ghost of Gallipoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Would make a great TV drama, 15 Aug. 2014
Although I do have a particular interest in history and historical novels, this book can be read by anyone because it has lots of human interest that is bang up to date but educates you in a very subtle manner about the causes of the first world war. It also describes the background to the conflict and the price paid by regular people like you or me by those in power who wanted, very much, to maintain the status quo - with them at the head as somehow superior to us plebeians.

This is a book that I found hard to put down once I had started and did what all good books do and stays with you and you find yourself thinking about the characters long after the book is finished.

If you are listening BBC or ITV this would make a great drama for the small screen - especially in the current centenary years between the start and end of world war one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2014 8:01 PM BST

One Equal Temper
One Equal Temper

5.0 out of 5 stars London 2012 - An alternative view, a Good Read, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: One Equal Temper (Kindle Edition)
A novel based around a 30's young man who was still pining for his old flame several years on who became a Games Maker for the 2012 London Olympics.

It is a "ripping yarn" told well of the trials and tribulations of Graham, the young man in question, trying to find himself again. You'll find out whether he succeeds by reading this book. It has twists and turns of a very unexpected nature and a lovely ending.

The Coming & Going Of Maria
The Coming & Going Of Maria

4.0 out of 5 stars I have rarely laughed out loud when reading in a public place but this one did it to me - a great read., 24 Feb. 2014
Very Good Story, Very Well Written, Definitely Recommend, Reasonably Edited
This is one of the best books that I have read for a long time and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

It is a funny, irreverent, slightly risqué and the characters are wonderfully formed and very powerful; I'm sure we've all met people like those in the book.

It is set in a village in Italy (influenced by the author's own experiences) and follows the adventures of four sex-starved old men as they try to rekindle their youth, with disastrous consequences that impact their wives, other villagers and the authorities.

A minor gripe - the number of typos and errors. I've reported this back to the author and I'm sure they will be fixed. It would have been 5 stars had it not been for this problem with the book.

Secret Thoughts: a medical thriller (A Dr. Powers Mystery)
Secret Thoughts: a medical thriller (A Dr. Powers Mystery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superp, 20 Feb. 2014
The story is marketed as a "Medical Thriller". Well, it is has a strong medical bent but I'd say it was a thriller and rather like Ian Flemings stories where one needs to suspend reality and follow the twists and turns as the intrepid hero continues against all of the odds.

It is a fast paced story that sweeps you through US medical practice, police and law enforcement and finally the federal government agencies and ends up in Columbia to tie up the loose ends. The story is far-fetched in places but if you put aside any issues with practicality (and I could) then it is an interesting read with an intriguing plot and some interesting characters.

I guessed the end ... I will not spoil it by telling you but there is a twist that's left for the next book.
Buy it, I think you may enjoy it.

The Wings of the Eagle (WW2 spy thriller) (The Black Orchestra)
The Wings of the Eagle (WW2 spy thriller) (The Black Orchestra)

4.0 out of 5 stars You need to read it and not expect another "Black Orchestra", because it is a different book, 2 Feb. 2014
This is the sequel to the Black Orchestra, a book I enjoyed immensely. It follows Kurt, a German Officer, who, in the first book, turned away from his Nazi masters and escaped, with his partner, to Ireland, the neutral country.

The book starts with Kurt being unhappy out of the war and wanting to become involved again; he wants to fight against the Nazis and help the allies. The story that follows is a real roller coaster of quite unbelievable escapades with the hero fighting against all odds to achieve his goal. The book is in the "James Bond" camp - unbelievable, far-fetched at times but, if one suspends the need for realism (and there's enough of that in life) it is a really good read and romps along at a fair pace.

I started off being disappointed because it was a quite different book to the prequel but I ended up enjoying the book and look forward to the next one in the series.

Farewell Leicester Square
Farewell Leicester Square

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, you might too, 2 Feb. 2014
Good Story, Well Written, Recommend, Well Edited

This book starts with an intrigue and in the present time but quickly moves back to WWII and a different perspective, that of the Channel Islands, the only part of the UK to be occupied by the Nazis during WWII. It quickly pulled me in and was full of pathos, well told and a story that flowed well with some twists and turns that took me off track but I pulled myself back quickly.

It was a story I didn't want to end and I enjoyed the book and would like a sequel!

Page: 1 | 2