Profile for Stefaan Seys > Reviews

The Evolutionary Void
by Peter F. Hamilton
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing finale, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Evolutionary Void (Paperback)
I have been a big fan of Hamilton's earlier work (having read all his work and some of it twice). There are many reasons I like his books: the multitude of converging story lines, the way the futuristic technology is introduced, the weaponry and the action scenes in which it is deployed, the plot itself, etc. Obviously, these exact characteristics also become recognizable - and less novel - after reading sufficient books of the same author. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed re-reading Fallen Dragon after having read every book Hamilton has published up to the Temporal Void.

Unfortunately, my first (and most likely only) read of the Evolutionary Void was not such a fulfilling experience. For one, the actual content (plot) feels rather limited for a book this size. I think he could easily have made a "trilogy" of 2 books instead of 3. Next to this, the Void (Eduard) sections were very repetitive (no pun intended) and perhaps a little boring. Some of the Common Wealth sections were better, but I missed the clever plot twists, hi-tech warfare, etc.

In conclusion, a disappointing conclusion to the previous 2 volumes (that I liked a lot). The story is just too thin to warrant a book this size.