Profile for D. Walne > Reviews

Content by D. Walne

D. Walne (Lancashire)

Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall  1783 - 1787 (Poldark Book 1)
Ross Poldark: A Novel of Cornwall 1783 - 1787 (Poldark Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't normally like historical fiction but I found this to be a ..., 10 April 2015
I've been utterly hooked on the TV series so decided to buy the novel.

I don't normally like historical fiction but I found this to be a fine read - beautifully written and very subtle in its exploration of the human heart. The TV series follows it very closely and some of the scenes on the screen, such as Ross's heartbreaking return to find his beloved Elizabeth betrothed to another, are even better in the book. His subsequent love affair with Demelza is portrayed with all the exquisite tenderness of the adaptation - the final chapter in particular is beautiful to read.

Under My Spell
Under My Spell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and feelgood, 10 April 2015
This review is from: Under My Spell (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book thinking it was a new novel by Deborah Wright - only to realise I'd already read it in paperback a few years back.

Still, I really enjoyed rereading it - a funny, sparkling, sexy read about love spells and magic. Cara goes to work with the Wilkins family and the couple there are having a midlife crisis, so she decides to spice their marriage up. Of course, things go awry and it's often very funny. There is a main plotline involving Cara and her spells as she falls for Sean, the handsome gardener next door. And a more serious plot with Andie and her marriage problems as she considers an affair with the handsome teacher at her school, which is more down to earth and involves some good observations about the trials of marriage.

All in all a fine read. I prefer Wright's earlier magic novels to her later ones (Swimming With Dolphins)etc.

A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts)
A Weekend With Mr Darcy (Austen Addicts)
by Victoria Connelly

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, feelgood romantic comedy, 13 Dec. 2010
I am not even a big fan of Jane Austen but I loved this book.

If you enjoyed Victoria's first novel, 'Molly's Millions', then you are in for a treat as this is even better. From the moment I picked it up, I found it impossible to put down.

The book focuses on two love stories that take place over a Jane Austen weekend. The author has clearly done her research well and writes with confidence and authority about Austen's novels. She also writes about her heroines and their love stories with passion and depth. There was a particularly romantic scene in the moonlight in the middle of the book that is so charming you cannot read it without a big smile on your face.

The best thing about this book is the tone which is gloriously uplifting - the book shines with such warmth that it feels like taking a dose of happiness medicine.

I have heard there will be a sequel out next year and I can't wait to read it. Victoria Connelly is my new favourite romantic comedy author.

The Celebrity Mother
The Celebrity Mother
by Deborah Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, 27 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Celebrity Mother (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this pageturner! Although the title sounded a bit trashy, it is not a typical celebrity novel at all. Told in alternating chapters between the celeb, Karina, and a ten year old girl from India called Devika, is a moving novel that pokes fun at celebs but also gives an insight into adoption. Devika's adjustment to life in London after being brought up as a Hindu in a Delhi orphanage and her struggles to come to terms with the western culture- from violent video games to the everyday luxuries we take for granted - are portrayed with sensitivity and insight.

The book keeps you turning pages and is also a tearjerker - especially the final chapters - I defy you not to finish the book with tears in your eyes.

My only small gripe is I have previously enjoyed D Wright's other novels and I liked the way she combines magic and romance. This is her first novel without magic in and though it is more mature I did long for some fairies, witches, and love spells etc which have always made her books stand out from the crowd.

Molly's Millions
Molly's Millions
by Victoria Connelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful romantic comedy, 8 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Molly's Millions (Paperback)
This is a wonderful romantic comedy that I enjoyed tremendously and left me with a smile on my face. It is also very well written, with some lovely touches and images. Recommended...

The Rebel Fairy
The Rebel Fairy
by Deborah Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, you really feel the characters become real, 11 April 2002
This review is from: The Rebel Fairy (Paperback)
Deborah has made everybody so real you feel you have made new friends and with the added twist of
fairies being involved, makes for everything to be seen in a different light.....did'nt want to get to the end....can't wait for her next book!