Profile for silverwing > Reviews

Kenwood IM200 1.1 Litre Ice Cream Maker
Kenwood IM200 1.1 Litre Ice Cream Maker
Offered by Dealsdirect247

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked well while it worked, but THEN..., 1 Jun. 2014
I had this for almost 2 years and used it every couple of weeks. (I'm not a vegan but I'm allergic to excessive dairy, so it was great to be able to make my own dairy-free desserts and sorbets). It's pretty bulky in the freezer and it's pretty loud while it's churning, but it did a good job.

However, one day when I was on the verge of pouring my ingredients in, I noticed a little frozen trickle inside the bowl. I scraped it with my finger and, being a contender for the Darwin awards, I tasted it to see if it was from something that had spilled inside the freezer. It was BITTER. It was toxic-chemical-tasting. I had barely touched it to the tip of my tongue but the taste was hard to get rid of, and my mouth felt weirdly gritty. When I scraped the rest of the dribble off, a tiny hole was revealed on the inside of the bowl. It wasn't a crack or a puncture: it was like it had suddenly eroded through in one spot, for no reason -- a bit smaller than a red split lentil, for want of a better comparison. As the bowl cooled, more coolant leaked out, and I had to get rid of the whole thing (correctly, according to the rules about these types of waste materials).

I have no idea what could have caused this. I had never, ever dropped it or used metal utensils on it - only the rubber spatula provided. As the warranty date had passed, I had no chance for a replacement or refund.

Another thing to note is that where the motor casing locks into the clear part of the lid with the chute, there are two double-hooked devices. You pinch these to release the motor so you can clean the clear part and any gaps. Those hook things are so fliiimsy. The ones on the left snapped really easily under very little pressure, and one of the ones on the right was hanging on for dear life. I don't think it affects performance in a big way, but you have to treat them like a little tiny bird's egg if you don't want them to snap.

In short, I was really happy with this thing until it tried to kill me. I bought the American Originals one to replace it - it has a bigger capacity and so far has been performing fine. (As I said in my review for the new one, I think the Kenwood freezes the ice cream faster, but if you don't plan to have "Toxic Sludge Ripple" as your flavour, I don't think it's worth it.)

Check out my American Originals ice cream maker review for a few tips on getting the best results.

Q and A a Day: 5-Year Journal
Q and A a Day: 5-Year Journal
by Potter Style
Edition: Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this journal, 1 Jun. 2014
I'm halfway through my second year of this journal, and I still update it consistently (which, if you knew me, you'd realise is a great endorsement!). The questions are thought-provoking and can inspire other projects just by getting an internal conversation going. It's really one of the best gifts I've ever given myself, even though it can be painful sometimes - sometimes I can't bear to look back at my previous answers, and sometimes my present-day answer is a direct response to my last one. It's totally up to you how you respond to it. It's beautifully made, the gold edging is gorgeous, and the binding is still going strong after nearly 18 months of daily use.

I loved it so much, this Christmas I bought one for my boyfriend and I bought 2 copies of the children's version to give to my niece and nephew. My nephew declared it to be "the most epic present ever". (He's 8, my niece is 10). The children's version is 3 years instead of 5 years so it has bigger spaces to accommodate drawings and children's bigger writing; they're both still using them, 5 months on.

My only criticism - and it's a small one - is that the questions sometimes sound a bit U.S.-centric. One of them is "East coast or West coast?" which suggests "North America" to me, because it's not like a land-locked country would ever think to ask such a thing! I think there are also questions like "Republican or Democrat?", if my memory serves. But as with all of the questions, there's plenty of room for interpretation and ad-libbing, so I wouldn't drop a star for that factor.

It's such a genius idea, I wish I had thought of it myself! Kudos to the people who made this.

Draper Expert 20610 210 mm Dressmaking Shears
Draper Expert 20610 210 mm Dressmaking Shears

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and sharp, 1 Jun. 2014
I promised myself I'd use these scissors only for fabric, but they did come in handy when my nephew's hair needed a quick trim - it was the only time he didn't complain that his hair was getting caught in the scissors! They have a nice ergonomic design and feel well-made.

The Encyclopedia of Quilting and Patchwork Techniques
The Encyclopedia of Quilting and Patchwork Techniques
by Katharine Guerrier

5.0 out of 5 stars Really inspiring, lovely illustrations, 1 Jun. 2014
I bought this as a Christmas present for myself and I really love it. I'm more a fan of the traditional quilts than the modern versions, but it's great that there's a wide variety of styles covered in this. I have yet to put it to practical use but I hope to, someday!

3M ScotchBlue Painter's Tape Original Multi-Surface, 24mm x 55m (2090-24E) - 1 roll

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick..., 1 Jun. 2014
I use this for a ton of different things (being an artist and also a DIY / craft enthusiast) - it works well and lasts a long time. Sometimes I even reuse pieces by sticking them back onto the roll if they're still intact: reduce, reuse, recycle!

Max Factor Lasting Performance Foundation - 100 Fair
Max Factor Lasting Performance Foundation - 100 Fair

5.0 out of 5 stars My staple for years..., 1 Jun. 2014
I've been wearing this foundation (in "Fair") for probably 15 years, or however long it's been around. I use it sparingly: I dot a little under my eyes and on any blemishes and then blend it, rather than caking it on. If your skin is dry, it will highlight that dryness so it's important to cleanse and moisturise for the best possible results (this is true for any foundation-like products). It stays put until you want to take it off, without feeling heavy.

One tube lasts me easily a couple of years; I hope they never discontinue it.

Profoot Super Sport Moulded Arch/Heel Support Women Pr
Profoot Super Sport Moulded Arch/Heel Support Women Pr
Offered by Wholesale UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped with my metatarsalgia, 1 Jun. 2014
I was having stabbing pains in the ball of my foot and ordered these to see if they'd help alleviate it. Shortly thereafter, I went to a chiropodist and she told me that my "bones are dropping" in the front part of my foot, so what I needed was "Spenco Ball of Foot Cushions / Metatarsal Pads", which I promptly bought. She said the Profoot arch support was also a good tool, and that I could wear both kinds of arch support together.

Well, I tried. I really did. I went on holiday and wore the Spenco pads every day, through hours of walking, trying to get used to them. They never got any more comfortable, and I hardly ever wear them now because they're so bulky that they make all of my shoes rub my toes -- and I wear some pretty roomy, unisex skater shoes, so that's saying something.

I do, however, wear my Profoot supports ALL the time. They fit neatly into any shoes or boots I own (except heels, but I rarely wear those), and they offer a huge reduction in the feeling of impact or lack of support that plagues a lot of shoes. My metatarsalgia has hardly bothered me all year! I think my "bones dropping" situation is still an issue because I do get callous build-up on the balls of my feet as before, but it's definitely better. I will probably invest in some kind of orthotic that combines elements of the Profoot and Metatarsal Pads at some point, but in the meantime, I've been really happy with these.

Some people mention about how the fabric comes away from the edges of these Profoot supports, and yeah, mine look a little worse for wear after a year of almost daily use. The fabric is still hanging in there, though, and they work just as well as the day I got them.

Max Value 2m USB 3 Extension Cable - Black
Max Value 2m USB 3 Extension Cable - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and long; still working fine after 14 months, 1 Jun. 2014
I use an alarm app on my iPod (Sleep Cycle) that requires me to keep my iPod face-down near my head to detect movements while I sleep. (I recommend it! It wakes you when you're in the lightest part of your sleep cycle, hence the name, and then you see a graph of how you slept).

Sometimes the socket in hotels or other people's houses is further away from your bed than you need it to be; this is a handy extension for making it possible for me to have my iPod in the right position. I'm sure it has lots of uses, but that's what I use it for every day and it has lived up to its promise.

Kit Twin Universal UK Mains Travel Charger Adapter Plug with USB Connection for Smartphone, Mobile and Tablet Devices - Black
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Over 14 months of daily usage; still working great, 1 Jun. 2014
This charges things really fast and I've never had a problem with it. There's a little light to say when it's plugged in properly, which helps to prevent those "WHY ISN'T THIS CHARGI -- oh... I see." moments.

I use it almost every night because my alarm clock (Sleep Cycle for the iPod touch) requires that my iPod stays plugged in. I love that there's an extra USB port for charging my kindle, wireless headset, or whatever else might need power.

Very pleased with this purchase.

Rapesco 548 Stapler Full Strip Black Ref R54800B2
Rapesco 548 Stapler Full Strip Black Ref R54800B2

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fine after over a year, 1 Jun. 2014
I don't use this terribly often, but I'm happy with it so far. I've never had a problem with it firing blanks, as it were - it has performed fine whenever I've used it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4