Profile for Ron Dogers - Palace Fan > Reviews

Content by Ron Dogers - P...

Ron Dogers - Palace Fan "50, hurtling towards 18 again!" (On the edge of Caterham)

Page: 1 | 2
PROFESSIONAL HAND JUICER CHROME FINISH SPRING ACTION HANDLE
PROFESSIONAL HAND JUICER CHROME FINISH SPRING ACTION HANDLE

1.0 out of 5 stars One star because 0 not available, 11 Jan. 2012
Not a happy tale! Juicer arrived in time etc but the Amazon site description from the seller said it juiced fruits and vegtables wheras it clearly was a citrus only press, as emblazoned across the box by the manufacturer.

That was not a major concern as I wanted a heavy duty juicer to replace a cheaper one that had worn out after a few years use. This worked well untill about 3 weeks after I got it when it completely jammed in the down position trapping 1/2 an orange with it. It proved completely unmovable and so I had to contact the seller who was very unfriendly and unhelpful. Would not offer a replacement until they had received back and "investigated" the broken one, were miffed because I had not kept the original box even though I explained I would have a house full of cardboard if I kept every box I got!

They would also not offer to pay postage despite it being for faulty goods that I did not want a refund for, just a straight replacement as it had worked ok before - in the end, in frustration IO had to get a refund through Amazon and have bought the little Philips ecectric one for £15 that does not look as funky on the worktop but is brilliant!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 2:06 PM GMT

Reusable Teflon Cooking Mat. Non stick. No mess. With 5 year guarantee - by Progress
Offered by WOWOOO

1.0 out of 5 stars my fault for not reading the blurb but.........................it does say oven liner!, 21 Nov. 2011
I found this useless as I thought it would just line the oven floor - it clearly says don't do that, use in a tray but what the heck is the use of that, if you get spills in a tray you can just wash it.

It is basically a thick bit of bin linerReusable Teflon Cooking Mat/Liner 40cm x 33cm + Siliconised Baking Parchment Roll + FREE Silicone Spatula. Non-Stick for Life Baking + 5 Year Guarantee that gets blown about in the fan assisted ovens and I either use non stick foil or a non stick pan so this is a chocolate tea pot really.

If it was a bit thicker it could have sat happily on the floor of the oven and avoided spills setting like concrete!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 4:12 PM BST

The Taste of a Place: Corfu: A Culinary Guide to Greece's Most Beautiful Island
The Taste of a Place: Corfu: A Culinary Guide to Greece's Most Beautiful Island
by Vicky Bennison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped, 1 July 2011
This was a book I was really looking forward to. Great reviews and the website is good but the book just did not hit it for me.
to cook or buy
Yes, some nice pictures, and stuff on Corfu tavernas and food but not much of anything really and at nearly £12, just not good value for money.

For example the bit I was really hoping would be comprehensive was the recommended tavernas and there was just a mention of a handful from a few places. For example Agni has 3 places and all were reviewed whereas there are loads of places that I didn't know and was hoping it would lead me to.

Maybe as an experienced traveller to Corfu I am being harsh but I can look at pretty pictures for free al day on Google Images

When The Eagle Flies
When The Eagle Flies

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bands best, 28 May 2011
This review is from: When The Eagle Flies (Audio CD)
Got this after hearing Walking in the wind and Something new on radio when it first came out in the 70s

I am not as big a fan of Winwood's voice as some but still the high-spot of their rock, soul meets jazz stuff

Show Your Hand
Show Your Hand

5.0 out of 5 stars AWBs unknown debut, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Show Your Hand (Vinyl)
Show Your HandCan't believe I am the first review from a really great lp from my past!

First heard this in a trendy London restaurant in the 70s and did the "What tf is this " thing with the waiters who loved it. At the time NME was saying the best under the radar bands were AWB in the uk UK and Little Feat in the States.

AWB then became so smooth they were not quite as good as bands like the Meters and the JBs etc. This was on a Stateside country label MCA, before they were over produced and just highlighted their song writing and musical ability is a real lost classic

I am a drummer who can Funk and Robbie's fills and catch-ups in The Jugglers (thinly disguised drug dealing tune) are my most replayed moments ever

Very easy to do comps and not really "get" an album. Please try this for the title track alone!

Late Night Tales - Midlake
Late Night Tales - Midlake
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Had 5 stars ready but......................, 31 Mar. 2011
Love Midlake, "Van'" is in my all time top LPs and they are even better live but they seem far too hooked into the folky thing now? It (in my opinion of course) weakened the last record, still excellent but just needed a bit more kick and it shows on their choices here.

I am really into the psych and folk stuff from the late 60s and 70s with Pentangle (strange they never made this?), Steeleye, Fairports, Sandy Denny and some of the funky folk from America dominating my cd player at the moment together with the excellent compilations you can search for on Amazon. Therefore I was really looking forward to this but it does not quite hit the spot.

Midlake started out I think as a jazz funk band and from their live stuff and "Van" you can hear the obvious soft rock influences. A real feel of CSNY, Fleetwood Mac etc flows through that and yet this cd seems to just take the very easy paced folk theme and not steer from untimately a slightly dreary course.

I wanted to hear what rock and funk influences they had but nothing like that is given any space on here. Some very good tunes such as the ones by Bread Love and Dreams and Rodriguez as well as the better known people but just not enough variety or a chance to find out what they were listening to in their earlier years.

Really hope they wake up a bit before they record their next LP??

Frisbee
Frisbee

1.0 out of 5 stars useless! one star because that is the minimum!, 6 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Frisbee
my dog cracked it with her teeth first go and it pretty much shattered - are they really made for dogs?

To be fair (to quote a footballer?) she is a boxer and has a meaty gob but it's made of hard plastic and I now have some that would have in the old days been described as polytheen (is that how you spell it) made by Trixie I think it is, and they are perfect

The Courage Of Others
The Courage Of Others
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for grown ups, 6 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Courage Of Others (Audio CD)
Loved Van O' couldn't really get the Fleetwood etc links tho and love this too - deeper, 1st play thought it was great and then the next few had doubts but now (listening along with some Nick Drake and Richard Thompson) realise just how good it is - but can't really get the English folk/prog links - is it me? Anyway music for grown ups

Page: 1 | 2