Profile for Mr. Matthew D. Black > Reviews

Content by Mr. Matthew D....

Mr. Matthew D. Black

Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt: The Definitive Guide to PyQt Programming

4.0 out of 5 stars Well structured, pace is good, depth is good, 30 May 2014
I found this to be well structured and has the necessary detail. Met my needs as an intermediate Pythonista. I recommend it.

HTML5 Unleashed
HTML5 Unleashed

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK is apposite, 30 May 2014
This review is from: HTML5 Unleashed (Kindle Edition)
I feel like I could have read online free articles instead. Some more specific examples that show the 'power' of HTML with less words would have been welcome.

Refuse Bag Holder from Caraselle
Refuse Bag Holder from Caraselle
Offered by Kleen Products

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't inspire much confidence..., 30 May 2014
This review is from: Refuse Bag Holder from Caraselle
My keen litter-picking father is not using it... Too fiddly to open - and seems flimsy meaning I have little confidence it would survive long it he did use it.

Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System
Bose ® Companion ® 2 Series III Multimedia Speaker System

4.0 out of 5 stars Good depth of sound compared with cheap alternatives, 30 May 2014
Worth £90? If you have £90 then yes... Who is to say whether a cheaper alternative would have done the job as well - but certainly compared with the £15 Dell speakers these replace, I think my £90 well spent.

Panasonic VIERA TX-P42S30B 42-inch Full HD 1080p 600Hz Plasma TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief! Audio in-sync and picture excellent., 6 Aug. 2012
This model was my 2nd choice - how wrong I was.
I first purchased an LCD model TX-L42E5B. That had audio sync issues on HD - see my review - which I found unacceptable.
Comparing the two models - this TX-P42S30B versus the returned LCD TX-L42E5B:
- Audio on this model works. The lag on the LCD model made lip-sync a joke in HD
- The picture on this model is so pleasant - none of the artifacts I noticed on the LCD model. By this I mean this set copes with sub-optimal freeview quality in a much less intrusive manner. Why did I fall for the LCD allure in the shop? (Bright light mainly.)
- The LCD was thinner, had a narrower bezel, and, well, that's it. Both have power connectors somewhat in the middle interfering with my aged wall mount: this set was worse than the LCD meaning I had to resort to the hacksaw.
Note there is a newer plasma model available - that may be your preferred option boasting a 'brighter' screen and better anti-reflection coatings. I could not obtain it in my time-frame. My preference for relatively muted colour means I am very happy with the model I purchased.
I hope this helps: this set cost less than the LCD and had vastly superior image quality to my eye, in addition to audio that actually works.
Once again, full marks to Amazon for their returns policy - take care if you purchase from an affiliated trader who may not have the same policy.

Panasonic TX-L42E5B 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012) (discontinued by manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Audio output on HD (BBC1 HD) lags picture, 5 Aug. 2012
The picture quality is fine on HD channels. SD channels do not look very good - I realise this is the broadcast signal, but I thought the viewing experience on SD channels worse than the 32" plasma this screen was intended to replace.

I could not accept the lag on audio output when viewing HD channels. I have read many posts about issues with ITV, but I experienced problems with the audio being late watching BBC1 HD - channel 50. Panasonic national help line were no use, denied this is a known issue, and referred me to the local Panasonic repair centre. The local centre explained I would be liable for a callout fee if there was not a 'fault' identified. So, I borrowed a 2nd TV and freeview HD box and set things up side by side using an aerial splitter: the images on both screens looked in sync, but the audio out of the Viera (internal speakers or via the digital output) lagged that from the other freeview box significantly. Muting the Viera - so audio from the other TV - lip sync no issue watching either screen: muting the other box with audio from the Viera - lip sync gone: having audio from the Viera and the other TV - hear a clear echo due to lagged audio from Viera.

I visited a Panasonic shop selling this model: the lip sync was awful there too. The salesman tried to explain this was due to using a home cinema audio system (as if that makes it OK) and instead let me listen to the audio from the TV's speakers. To my eye/ear the same issue persisted.

I am disgusted with Panasonic since I don't believe this is a one-off.

So I am returning this set. I will try an alternative (plasma as it happens) model - forced to stick with Panasonic since no other maker appears to be making budget screens with freeview HD tuners at 42". If that has similar issues it too will go back, and I will purchase a separate HD Freeview box (same as the one I borrowed that worked) and a screen that claims to be 'HD ready' but which does not include a freeview HD tuner.

Full marks to Amazon for their returns policy: I hope they can pass the cost back to Panasonic!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2012 10:35 PM GMT

Snooper Shotsaver S400 Laser Range Finder - Black, Small
Snooper Shotsaver S400 Laser Range Finder - Black, Small

2.0 out of 5 stars Pin-seeker?, 25 May 2012
I ordered a Snooper Shotsaver S400 on the basis it had good reviews and was markedly cheaper than a Bushnell Tour V2. Delivery was prompt. It was described as having 'Pin-seeker' capability. However, on my practice area it proved unable to find the distance to a flag 35yrds away - my friend's Bushnell had no trouble. We both tried both devices - it was a device not a user issue. I returned mine and have spent the additional cash required to purchase a Bushnell.

Creative D100 Portable Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with Aux-in - Black
Creative D100 Portable Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with Aux-in - Black
Offered by thematys® - Germany

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, good value, no mute button, 2 Dec. 2011
The title sums it up for me - I am using at as in internet radio paired to an Andoid phone. Works well, but would benefit from a mute button or just an old fashioned rotary volume rather than buttons for up/down (that take far too long to silence the thing, as does opening the phone, turning on the screen, and finding a mute button in the app).

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and Readable, 2 Feb. 2011
I held an iPad and concluded it was too heavy to hold for reading. Kindle is excellent - along with great battery life and good performance in direct light. Being able to email files such as MS Word to the device is also excellent (an added Amazon service). I also recommend free Callibre s/w - so you can read epub stuff. Only downside is that the screen could be a bit bigger and higher resolution (e.g. make the margins/bezel smaller) - but overall very happy with the device.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2011 5:48 PM GMT

Sony NWS706 - 4GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Black
Sony NWS706 - 4GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Hardware, 21 Nov. 2006
Well built, with a good user interface. The wires for the noise-cancelling headphones are (necessarily I guess) rather thick. Can only connect to the PC USB port using the supplied adapter cable.

I was reticent of installing any software supplied by Sony after a previous bad experience... not so bad as I feared, but not ideal: you can only save audio to the device using the supplied jukebox software, and worse - for some perverse reason - you must have administrative rights on your PC not only to install the software but then to use it to save any music to the device. WHY?