Profile for Andrew Davie > Reviews

Content by Andrew Davie

Andrew Davie "AndrewDavie" (Cambs, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Bellicose (Postal Marine Series Book 1)
Bellicose (Postal Marine Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't find books 2 or 3??, 10 Oct 2014
Interesting take and I'd read more.
But one problem - book 4 is available for pre-order, but WTH are books 2 & 3??!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 9:20 PM GMT

Ultraviolet Catastrophe
Ultraviolet Catastrophe

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable YA SF Romance, 2 Oct 2014
Sci-fi side is good, without being overly complicated.
Romance side is stereotypical wish fulfillment - hot bad boy who could (and has) have any girl he likes falls so hard for protagonist that he immediately stops being a player.

Note : drugging a child for 10 years to make them stupid and 'fit-in' is child abuse. Replace 'stupid drug' with alcohol and see what you think. Lexie's parents need to see the inside of a cell and several weeks of parenting classes.

Cosmic Girl: Rising Up
Cosmic Girl: Rising Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Comic fan gets the superpowers., 17 Sep 2014
The first few pages overuse the word 'I' in the first person.
Luckily, after that it settles down to an enjoyable format.

The book spends a lot of time testing/training the teams superpowers. I like this, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.
I was expecting the police to be more trigger happy and the military to be less so. The amount of people accepting people with masks showing up when it's not Halloween to be odd. In a terrorist world with no previous history of Capes, masks would be held with much greater suspicion.
The big bad of the book isn't really explained in any great detail - possible revelations awaiting in a sequel?

Tabitha
Tabitha

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read worth the price., 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Tabitha (Kindle Edition)
Post-apocalypse with a different twist.
3/4 gritty survival with all the nice and nasty humans vs alien invasion.
1/4 Sci-fi with animal buddy.

Almost gave up in the first few pages because it introduces many characters that I didn't care about. Luckily, they all very quickly died.
Most of the humans she meets are unbelievably nasty. I'm not sure survivors would get that bad in the first couple of weeks P.A.
The military aren't shown in a good light. Sure, they might decide to dissect a human/alien hybrid..._after_ first interrogating them for what information they might give up more easily.

Still, At £0.77, it's an enjoyable story and worth the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2014 11:35 PM BST

Wizard's Blood [Part Two]
Wizard's Blood [Part Two]

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying ending, 10 Sep 2014
Story continues as left off and just as good. No pacing problems here and I really identified with the characters.
And it has a very satisfying end. A few teasers if there is demand for a sequel or side story, but nothing that would make you say 'Nooo, what happened to X?!'

Wizard's Blood [Part One]
Wizard's Blood [Part One]

4.0 out of 5 stars Persist, 10 Sep 2014
First off, I want to say that the plot is great. Most of the characters are good.

But...

The first half of this book was hard to get into due to inconsistent pacing. It starts off with detailed descriptions of everything...and then speeds up to breakneck, not describing much. A noble ball which doesn't get described at all. And then a few pages here and there with the details again.
Once past the first half, it settles into a good pace and the story managed to really shine through.
The pacing is the only reason why this doesn't get the 5th star.

Karma (Karma Series)
Karma (Karma Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars It's very similar to the TV series 'Dead Like Me'. I loved that series, 20 July 2014
The world setup is okay. It's very similar to the TV series 'Dead Like Me'.
I loved that series, so I should like this right?
Nope. It's totally ruined for me due to the main character.
Karma is a bitch. In this case a whiny, whiny (did I mention whiny?) bitch.
Pros : she's pretty. She shows common courtesy to everyone she's not currently angry at (apparently a superpower in that world).
Cons : She's not very smart (for all that she's meant to be a good lawyer). She's contrary and actively works against people trying to help her. Slavishly follows all the romance tropes ("I hate the good-looking, rich, charming, knowledgeable guy who is always looking out for me because he's not immediately a slave to my whims...until my libido overrules me, fighting all the way.")
And the whining. I don't think I've encountered a character that whines so much since Ikari Shinji.

Not giving it a one star because otherwise the writing style and the side characters aren't bad.

Shift
Shift

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Shift (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyable and different take on sudden transport to parallel universe.

NPCs
NPCs

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 July 2014
This review is from: NPCs (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable, if predictable romp through RPG tropes.
I'd buy a sequel without sampling first.

Telekinetic (a Hyllis family story #1)
Telekinetic (a Hyllis family story #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars And I enjoyed it a lot, 20 July 2014
I was reluctant to try this due to the 'yet another post-apocalyptic survival story' that the intro had going.
Once past that, I found it's more of a 'medieval tech plus ancient ruins with forgotten knowledge' type world - more my thing.
And I enjoyed it a lot. I'd say that if you like the Donsaii series, then you'll like this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6