Profile for Skyebluepink > Reviews

Content by Skyebluepink

Skyebluepink "skyebluepink"

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I Like It!, 13 April 2011
My Kindle arrived today! I had ummed and ahhed about whether to buy one or not.

My reasons for getting one:

I have TOO MANY books. However, I see books (unless they are rubbish ones) as an extension of me and hate to throw or give them away.
I'm hoping it will become like an ipod to me - I can't imagine not having an ipod with all my music in one place. Hopefully this will be the same for my books
Whilst I would love an ipad, I already have an iphone (I call it my ipad nano!) and a new laptop. Ipads are expensive. The Kindle is a quarter of the price
Hopefully the initial novelty of it will get me reading more. Hopefully it will be more comfortable than an actual book
The battery lasts ages and the E-ink is easy on the eyes, even in bright sunshine. Will be good for travelling
Many of the books are cheaper - I've already stocked up on the classics which I've been meaning to read. They cost me mere pennies each.

Reasons that made me not sure:

It's another `gadget' - I have plenty already. Is it an unnecessary expense?
It won't be the same experience as reading a book - I like the smell and feel of the pages and the design of the cover.
In the past I haven't enjoyed reading on my laptop or on my phone
Will it be comfortable and easy to read?

This afternoon I have tried it out and I am really pleased. The E-ink is really strange but I like it. I love how when you turn it off you get a random picture of a writer or (I presume), a page from a book. It is more comfortable than reading a book - you can hold it easily with one hand, or prop it up on your stomach and unlike an ipad, the page doesn't rotate or turn if you tip it sideways or touch the screen.I t is also very small and light too - perfect for carrying around in your bag, though I might invest in an official cover so it doesn't get damaged. It feels delightfully retro and lo-fi. It is possible to use it to surf the net, but given the fact that it is really slow and black and white, I can only see myself doing this in `emergencies'. This is a good thing because whenever I am using my iphone or laptop, I am always going off to look something up or check facebook. I can still do all these things with my existing gadgets. I can do them with my kindle if I have no other option. But it is primarily a way to read. Like a book is. It means I can concentrate on what I am reading. And I like that!

Leon: Naturally Fast Food
Leon: Naturally Fast Food
by Henry Dimbleby

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the First!, 12 Sep 2010
I loved the first Leon book for the amazing design and the useful information section about different foods. Some of the recipes were good, though they weren't my favourite aspect of the first book - some of them seemed a little "too" healthy for everyday use!

However, the second book seems to address this problem and has a huge range of recipes, many of which are simple and easy to use regularly. I have a feeling I will be cooking many of the recipes from this book and am looking forward to it.

The design of the book is quite stunning once again, although doesn't have as many pull-outs and cut-outs as the first book. I was pleased to notice that there was a sticker page once again at the back though :-)

Pocket Penguins Boxed Set
Pocket Penguins Boxed Set
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars A snapshot of excellent literature, 5 Feb 2006
This selection of books represents a snapshot of the best in literature. There is such a wide and varied selection that everybody could find something that they would be interested in. Each book takes only a short while to read, but often has inspired me to go away and read more by the same author. I have discovered new books and authors and really expanded my reading interests.
Whilst the complete set may not be cheap, it is actually a bargain - 70 books! It looks stunning on a book shelf, and, being a birthday commemoration set, may one day be a collector's item!

Logic3 i-Station Docking Station for iPods and other MP3 Players - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill!, 5 Feb 2006
Since buying these speakers I have hardly used my old stereo) apart from when I've wanted to listen to the radio. It allows all the convenience of having all your music there on your ipod, but not having to listen through headphones. And it charges up your ipod continuously too.
Sound quality is good. At the moment I use the speakers in a small room, but would imagine they would be fine in a bigger room too.
The speakers look pretty cool - the same white as the ipod, and due to their small size I will be taking them on holiday with me.
It makes me laugh now to see my stereo and all my CDs taking up so much room, when these little speakers and my ipod do the same job and just as well.
Buy these - for the price you will not be disappointed, and they bring a whole new dimension to your ipod.

SanDisk Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card 512 MB
SanDisk Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card 512 MB

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of photos!, 5 Feb 2006
Brilliant! Means I can now store loads of photos on my camera! No problems at all using this SD card. And bought from Amazon it's a lot lot cheaper than most other places!

Las Vegas (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
Las Vegas (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
by David Stratton

4.0 out of 5 stars An attractive and informative book, 5 Feb 2006
This is one of many guide books on Las Vegas that I have purchased and is one of the most attractive. It contains some amazing photographs, and is set out in a logical way.
The text is informative and includes everything a traveller needs to know. It does go into a lot more detail than some guides and appears to be the most up to date book currently available.
This book will almost certainly be coming on holiday with me!

The Complete Guitar Player Books 1, 2 & 3: Omnibus Edition
The Complete Guitar Player Books 1, 2 & 3: Omnibus Edition
by Music Sales Corporation

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've seen so far for beginners, 1 April 2005
After having learned the keyboard using "The Complete Keyboard Player" it seemed like the natural choice to choose "The Complete Guitar Player" when I decided to learn the guitar. Before I bought this book I bought "The First Stage Guitar Book" which I was severly unimpressed by because all it seemed to consist of was pages and pages of chord charts and was far too advanced for me. Therefore, when I received my copy of "The Complete Guitar Player" I was relieved to see the familiar mix of instruction to build up technique and skills, and then songs to practice on. The book assumes absolutely no knowledge at the beginning, but as you work through to the end it becomes a lot more sophisticated and should keep me going for quite some time. So I would recommend this book if you are an absolute beginner and want to spend your money on a book that is actually helpful and fun.