Profile for A. Marshall > Reviews

Good watch

Exocet Falklands: The Untold Story of Special Forces Operations
Exocet Falklands: The Untold Story of Special Forces Operations

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 29 Sept. 2015
Good interesting story and filled in the missing gaps, which I thought were strange during the war

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stror and so much detail I will probably read ..., 29 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Good stror and so much detail I will probably read the book again. I hope the film is as good...

My Secret Falklands War
My Secret Falklands War

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 18 Dec. 2014
a good, interesting read

A Cold Night in June: Falklands Battle of Mount Longdon
A Cold Night in June: Falklands Battle of Mount Longdon

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this as a gritty tale of what soldering in ..., 9 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed this as a gritty tale of what soldering in battle is really like. A good story told from the heart I felt. Reading Julian Thompson book helps to pin this battle into the overall scheme of things and the logic of why.

Invasion 1982: The Falkland Islanders Story
Invasion 1982: The Falkland Islanders Story

5.0 out of 5 stars I found the book very informative and a good read. Interesting to get the background to the ..., 9 Dec. 2014
I found the book very informative and a good read. Interesting to get the background to the invasion and how the islanders faced up to their ordeal. The criticism of inaction by the Foreign Office is informative and what I had always suspected the stance was by successive governments. I always felt Lord Carrington carried the can too personally for something he had no control over. But hey, that seems to me to be one of the fringe benefits of being in a Thatcher cabinet.

Sea Harrier Over the Falklands: A Maverick at War
Sea Harrier Over the Falklands: A Maverick at War

4.0 out of 5 stars when the American Marines loved it. Why the RAF were so publicly honoured ..., 27 Oct. 2014
I lived through the Falklands War as a spectator and several things that happened that I did not understand and a lot of these are explained in the book. How many Vulcan attacks, how many were successful, the true stories about the imbalance of fire power between Hermes and Invincible, why did people in authority here pan the Harrier, when the American Marines loved it. Why the RAF were so publicly honoured for their small role in the Falklands war, yet the Fleet Air Arm were ignored or their role not properly explained. A pilot flying a plane is obviously RAF, or so I thought, I ignorantly thought the Fleet Air Arm was a branch of the RAF.

A good read and Sharkey comes across as an honest bloke who looked after his team, recognises everybody's else's faults, but also acknowledges his own faults as well.

The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints - M. V. Carey (The Three Investigators Book 15)

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read for the older children - very imaginative story, 7 July 2014
bought this for one of my grandchildren, surprised that it has taken this long to come onto kindle. Please bring the entire series.

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars filled in the missing gaps in Blade Runner, 1 July 2014
Not a particular sci-fi fan myself, but I enjoyed the story. The fact that Blade Runner closely follows the book and the book was recently dramatized for Radio 4 and I caught a couple of episodes, made download the book on kindle.
Obviously there is more content in the book than the film and the book completed the story for me. Blade Runner is one of my all time favourite films and therefore the natural curiosity of filling in all the story was compelling. I would rate as a good to excellent read.

The White South
The White South

4.0 out of 5 stars the White South, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The White South (Kindle Edition)
Kindle have re0published the Hammond Innes books and there are a lot of older ones I have never read, I could not remember reading this one ( I have read it before), but it was 30 + years ago and I enjoyed the story.

Page: 1 | 2