Profile for Mr. K. Arts > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. Arts

Mr. K. Arts "keirarts" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Trans-Europ-Express [Blu-ray] [1967] [US Import]
Trans-Europ-Express [Blu-ray] [1967] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Jean-Louis Trintignant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 6 May 2014
***THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE REGION A REDEMPTION RELEASE!******

Alain Robbes-Grillet and his team board the Trans-Europe Express. They sit down and begin to formulate ideas for a crime film about a smuggler transporting cocaine to Antwerp aboard the same train. The narrative of the smuggler, played by Jean-louis Trintignant begins and repeats some of what has just happened and overlaps with the 'real' story as he wanders into the carriage and the director observes Trintignant. This set the tone for the whole of the rest of the film as Grillet and his team discuss the narrative that is unfolding as it unfolds, backtracking and correcting things that make no sense. As a result character motivations and behaviour are fluid throughout the narrative. All the while the film is peppered with sadean imagery that seems to be one of the directors major preoccupations.

Trans-Europe express is an almost perfect dissection of the crime genre and a much better comment on the perils of film making than any of his new-wave contemporaries. Simply put, this is a brilliant piece of cinema. Grillet's work seems to have been hard to come by for a long while now and I'm only just beginning to discover his work. As you can probably guess, I like what i'm seeing!

Sadly this releases is region locked to A so many uk players will not run it. Thankfully the BFI are close to releasing a box set in the uk with more bonus features including a Tim Lucas commentary fans. I have these redemption releases because of the numbered spines but I would reccomend UK and European fans to wait for the BFI release.

Successive Slidings of Pleasure [Blu-ray] [1974] [US Import]
Successive Slidings of Pleasure [Blu-ray] [1974] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Michael Lonsdale

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 6 May 2014
***THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE REGION A REDEMPTION RELEASE!!!*****

A young woman is arrested for the murder of her flatmate and taken to a nunnery where she is imprisoned for interrogation. Once inside the convent walls she starts using her charms against her captors and begins to make those around her captive to her charms.

Successive slidings is a dark, surreal slice of erotica from Alain Robbe-Grillet, whose work has been unavailable for ages and is only now being restored and released to the general public. The film seems to crawl inside the disturbed and erotically charged mind of its central character and while rooting around in her psyche uncovers a world of sado-masochistic pleasure. The film is chock full of bizarre and provocative imagery that would give Jess Franco a run for his money and the narrative is as fractured as its central characters mind.

Give this film a try and you will be richly rewarded. Especially if your a euro-horror/sleaze enthusiast. Grillet is an exceptional writer director and this erotically charged work of art is a very rewarding film that deserves to be in any fans collection.

Word of caution though. Redemptions disc is region locked to A so unless your multi region capable your not going to be able to play this. Not to worry though as the BFI are releasing a box-set of his work in the UK with added bonus material including Tim Lucas commentary track so UK fans are probably better off waiting for that release. Redemptions transfer is great however so if the BFI disc is at least as good as that it should look an absolute treat.

Either way a highly recommended film from an excellent film maker.

Green Coffee Bean Extract GOLD - 100% Pure STANDARDIZED 50% Chlorogenic Acid, 800 mg | Weight Loss Supplement using Pure All Natural Veggie Capsules with ZERO Fillers, Binders or Artificial Ingredients
Offered by House Of Goods

5.0 out of 5 stars Working well for me., 6 May 2014
Recently I started a new desk job. Naturally with the more sedate pace of work I started to pile on the pounds. First payday bought me gym membership but I was looking for a little help to get rid of my belly.

Got offered a trial of these and thought why not. They help the body process sugar quicker and and as a result help the body burn off fat a little quicker with regular exercise. At least thats the boast.

So did they work?

Well, yes. I'd not been hitting the gym for a while and it was slow going at first but the weight dropped off quicker than I was expecting. The results speak for themselves and I'm a lot thinner as a result.

Don't ho buying these pills and expect that to be it. Some hard work is required. Think of them as aides to slimming. Personally I'm glad I gave them a try so I'm more than happy to recommend.

The Visitor [Blu-ray] [1979] [US Import]
The Visitor [Blu-ray] [1979] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Lance Henriksen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you can play it., 20 April 2014
Producer Ovidio G. Assonitis has some truly mental films in his filmography. Amok train, a film about a murderous train, Beyond the Door, an Exorcist knock off that ranks as one of the weirdest demonic possession films i've seen and James Cameron's directorial debut, the utterly deranged Piranha 2 where the ante is upped from the Joe Dante original by having the fish fly through the Air. The Visitor however, makes all these seem like child's play. Essentially it plays with the Von Daniken notion that God was a space alien and uses it to construct a tale of good Vs. Evil set in Atlanta. It seems the film-makers were given free access to the city for exterior shooting and in fairness they really make the most of it!

The film is a genuine oddity. The best comparison I can make is The Omen mixed with liberal doses of 2001 a space odyssey. if Damien thorn had a pet satanic hawk, legendary actor/director John Huston is playing 'god', Lance Henriksen as Satan and a cameo from Django himself Franco Nero as Jesus. We also get a Cameo from director Sam Peckinpah thrown in for good measure. While the film is baffling and frankly may give some a headache, its got a certain style to it and a level of oddness that makes it one cult film fanatics may find worth seeking out. I can say with all certainty that you will have seen nothing like it.

The disc is sadly region locked, so unless you lucked out and got one of those hackable Phillips players or have a second region A player set up, then you won't be watching this. Unfortunate as like with their Ms.45 release, Alamo Drafthouse have delivered a phenomenally good looking (and sounding) transfer of this film that manages to one up code reds release from a year or so back. Unfortunately it's missing most of the bonus material from the code red Dvd release including the two commentary tracks so fans should keep hold of those DVD's. If you can play it then this is well worth it still for the astonishing transfer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 7:26 AM BST

Nunchuck and Remote Controller with Motion Plus for Nintendo Wii With Retail Package (remote controller blue)
Offered by HappyGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent third-party remote., 16 April 2014
The problem I have with a lot of third party remotes for games consoles is their durability and reliability. Too often I've bought one to find there is some problem with the device and have had to take it back to the shop for a refund or replacement.

I got this a few days ago and decided to put it too the test with NO MORE HEROES, one of the few reasons I still own a Wii.

The Wiimote synched with my Wii with no problems, and in no time I was ready to go.

The Wiimote was highly responsive and had little delay between my actions and the game, the strap is well fitted so there was no busted TV's! Equally the nunchuck that comes with it is also of good quality and I experienced no problems at all with it.

If your after a wiimote that's both affordable and reliable then this model is certainly one worth considering.

Ms 45 [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Ms 45 [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Albert Sinkys

5.0 out of 5 stars Sadly region locked., 13 April 2014
Zoe Tamerlis Lund plays Thana, a mute seamstress who is raped on her way home from work. Then, after arriving at home in shock she is confronted by a burglar who rapes her again. Striking out in rage and terror Thana kills her attacker. After disposing of the corpse she keeps his gun and as her mental state deteriorates she uses it in a bloody killing spree on the men of the city.

Director Abel Ferrara started his film-making career with Driller killer, a film that took the low rent punk aesthetic of New yorks underground film scene, mixed it with the sleazy low rent charms of the 42nd street grindhouse and topped it off with an intelligent tale of a tortured artist going mad in an environment where his work is not appreciated. With Ms.45 he delivers a film that continues with the punk, exploitation style of Driller but instead crafts a tale of urban isolation and violence. Thana has no voice, an isolated lonely victim she becomes a hunter through necessity. While most revenge films of the time take a cathartic approach to violence, Ms.45 seems to view it as an act of total self destruction.

Sadly Alamo Drafthouses Blu-ray is locked region A. A real shame as the film has NEVER looked better. If this is the standard for their future releases they are a label to watch. While not overloaded with extras it has two short films with Zoe lund and some interviews as well as an excellently produced 32 page book with essays on the film. Anyone not in love with the sleeve art should also be made aware that it is reversible and has the original art on the reverse. Personally I like both options equally.

Overall, if you can play region A discs then this is one I highly recommend picking up. Drafthouse are releasing THE VISITOR, which is on its way to me as I type this and i'm definitely looking forward to it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 6:33 PM GMT

17" 23" 24" 26" Full head clip DIY New Sexy 20 Colors Rainbow Women Long Straight or Curl Wavy Synthetic Thick Hair Extension Clip-on Hairpieces (Curl-17", (07) medium brown)
Offered by Jimmystar

5.0 out of 5 stars My girlfriend loved it!, 8 April 2014
As a lad, I decided to let my lady test drive these hair extensions. Her previous sets are now going online for sale as she rates these far better than any used previously.

They feel gorgeous and silky to the touch and look totally natural with her own hair. Easy to clip on and remove, at no point did they come loose or drop off and proved very functional for a day out about town spending my cash! ;)

Best of all they are easy to clean and maintain.

Overall, I think i'll be buying more nearer xmas as she loves them!

9 Inch USB PU Leather Stand Case Cover Keyboard Case Cover for 9 Inch Tablet (blue)
Offered by HappyGo

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 8 April 2014
This case worked perfectly with my generic android tablet. I plugged it in and began using it immediately with no hassles whatsoever and found the keyboard both robust and functional. It even works fine for a big clumsy lad with sausage fingers like me.

While I would not recommend testing this TOO much I did manage to drop my tablet on the way in to work yesterday and the case protected it from harm. No cracks or dents. The magnetic clasp, which is much more practical than velcro did its job as well and at no point did it come open.

At £8.99 this is a little bargain for anyone looking for a case for their tablet. It works perfectly and looks great and isn't overly heavy or unwieldy to carry.

Well worth your consideration!

OXA® NFC Bluetooth Natural Wood Design Wireless Stereo Speaker For iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, iPads, Bluetooth Android Phones, Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, Nokia Lumia, Blackberry and all other Smart Phones, Tablets and Computers (White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 April 2014
This beautifully designed speaker connected easily to my SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE, pretty soon I was playing all the (many) mp3's on my phone. It also takes SD cards so I loaded a whole bunch of songs onto a card and played them from that as I was cleaning the house yesterday. Works great. It even has a radio tuner, something that even previous wireless speakers lacked. Overall this was the complete package for me.

My only gripe was that it was a little quiet, and I needed to keep the volume high, other than that no problems. The red digital display on the front is great. Clear and easy to read and the instructions are simple and easy to follow.

This device has its own internal rechargeable battery that you can charge via USB, It needs charging straight out the box so it can be a little frustrating waiting to use it. Other than that this speaker comes highly recommended.

OXA® 10000mAh 2A/1A Dual USB Outputs Portable External Battery Charger Power Bank With Digital Screen And LED Flashlight for Andriod phones, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iphone 3GS, iPad, HTC, Samsung, Tablets, Digital Camera, MP3 Players, and other USB Devices (Black)
Offered by DBPOWER

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs., 31 Mar. 2014
I travel around quite a lot with my smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace and while I love it to bits it burns through power very rapidly. I have two spare batteries that I keep fully charged, but with my addiction to my phones E-reader and the constant camera and mobile internet use, I still need to take every opportunity to find access to a plug socket at every opportunity and keep the screen brightness low as possible otherwise even three batteries can feel the strain. The trouble is on occasion I cannot score myself a table seat on a train with a socket or worse yet I'm travelling by bus and theres no socket at all. I've had power packs before that have served their purpose, one even had a solar charger on it, but they have often been too bulky for my needs.

This device solved that. It does not hold it's juice as well as bigger devices and it can only really offer one or two charges of my phone while i'm on the go, BUT it's actually very portable indeed. It's about the size of a pack of 20 cigarettes and very light. It comes with a nice little carry case and fits into the side pocket of my man bag with no problems. My previous power bank actually came with it's own holdall so this was a refreshing change.

If your after something to charge larger devices like a laptop or kindle my advice would be to look elsewhere. If your looking for extra juice for your phone however this does the trick nicely. The backlit screen is clear and easy to read as well.

My only other complaint would be that the printing on the instructions is FAR TOO SMALL. My eyesight isn't too great and I couldn't read them. Fortunately a bit of common sense goes a long way and it's very easy to work out how to use the device. It did lose the product a star off the review however.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20