Profile for Fair review > Reviews

Four Paws Industrial Strength Stain and Odour Remover - 32oz/909ml
Offered by WUNDAPETS
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Last resort for removing odour, 7 Jan 2014
Cat pee does stink! When you have something that the cats done its business on you will do just about anything to get rid of the smell but my advice would be to research another solution. My experience was that I was asked to look after a friends cats and for some reason they peed in the cat box in transit and as a result also on my car seats. It stank! I did a little research and based on the good reviews here bought the industrial four paws solution. When I got the product I took one of the headrests out of the car and discretely tried the solution on it to see if it would stain. It didn't stain but it does stink! I mean it reeks and for days after!! You know the sort of cheap bubblegum/ air freshener smell? Well that's what you get, horrible and imagine that in your car? No thanks!

I went back to do some more research and in the end went with something virtually free! Yep, nearly free. White vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, washing up liquid and hydrogen peroxide. Sounds crazy but seriously look it up. You need to get the 3% hydrogen peroxide though which is food grade so it shouldn't take the colour out of your fabric but check colour fastness on a discrete place and make sure you look up the method. The recipe is easily found and you'll see that LOADS of people have tried it and it has certainly worked for me. Its neutralized the smell completely, the first day you have a vague smell of vinegar and bicarb but by day two that has gone and the car smells as it did and no staining on the seats. I must stress that this is just my experience and that you try this at your own risk.(Just in case!)

I cant comment on the stain removal aspect of four paws as I haven't used it, the smell put me off completely. I'm well pleased that my car doesn't smell like a cheap air freshener and the smell of cat pee has gone-phwew!!!!

Gordon Ramsay 3 Star Chef
Gordon Ramsay 3 Star Chef
by Gordon Ramsay
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars The ego has landed!! Not a run of the mill cook book, 11 Feb 2013
Love him or hate him, with three Michelin stars to his name, Gordon Ramsay is undeniably one of THE best chefs on the planet. Having said that I suspect that only he could produce a book with so much pomp. It's too big for the bookshelf!

Some of the recipes in here are challenging and involve a number of steps, definitely not for the faint heated. To be fair this book shows how to make pretty much the same recipes that Ramsay produces at his restaurant so be prepared for some difficulty. He is a chef at the top of his game and profession and this shows in the book.

The book contains the best pictures I have ever seen in a cook book, it is beautiful, stunning in fact. The book conveys the prestige standard of the restaurant. It is a beautiful and don't let the complexity put you off, the results are worth the effort. There are also some recipes in there which are not difficult at all, the tarte tatin for example is easy peasy! I have learnt a lot from the ideas and it offers a fascinating glimpse into the intricate world of food elevated to the highest level.

For very special occasions this book is amazing but be prepared to hunt for some of the ingredients!!

Barbecue
Barbecue
by Eric Treuille
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars THE book for your barbecue, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Barbecue (Hardcover)
This book is amazing, really. It is jam packed to bursting with fantastic flavour ideas which work brilliantly. Anything which you could conceivably eat from the barbie is covered with lots of really nice flavour ideas to match the bitter/smokey/caramalised tastes which grill cooking produces.

This book will make your barbies legendary!! Not just meat/ marinating ideas but also great interesting sides, salads, dips and lots of other ideas.

If you like a barbie in the summer and lets face it who doesn't, this book is a winner

Foolproof French Cookery
Foolproof French Cookery
by Raymond Blanc

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like this book, if it had more recipes I would have given it five stars, 11 Feb 2013
Blanc's passion for food comes out on every page. The recipes are delicious and like my title says if there were more recipes I would have give it five stars.

Generally, I find, that when you suggest ideas like Coq au vin for dinner people tend to shrug apathetically maybe thinking that it wont be that special or perhaps thinking of the awful supermarket versions. These recipes are a million miles from pedestrian. If you want to see why these recipes are classics buy this book, absolutely drop dead delicious and simplicity itself.

Blanc has a deep understanding of food and how to get the very best from it and I am proud to own this book in my collection and use it often.

You will have no complaints from the dinner table following any one of these recipes.

Leiths Cookery Bible
Leiths Cookery Bible
by Prue Leith
Price: 17.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, bland basic recipes and out of date ideas, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Leiths Cookery Bible (Hardcover)
This is the worst cookery book I have ever bought. Utter garbage. If you cannot cook at all (and I mean at all) then this book may offer some value in bringing you up to a very basic level but there are much better ones. See my other reviews (and no I'm not on commission!)

The recipes are extremely bland and out of date. I am trying to think of something positive to say about it but truly I can't.

Don't waste your money

New British Classics
New British Classics
by Gary Rhodes
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars THE definitive cookbook, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: New British Classics (Paperback)
I have lost count of the number of times that I have used this book. Out of all my cook books this is my favourite. Rhodes has a classy style which produces a smooth finish showing not only in the flavours but also the techniques and the way in which the recipes are written.

The recipes are well laid out and easy to follow. They turn out first time which means more on the table and less in the bin!

I would not like to estimate how many recipes there are in this book, it is huge! Good home cooking at its best, a must have for any collection and terrific value. Covering a myriad of sauces, roasts, veg, baking, cakes, puddings, fish, starters all from scratch but without taking all week to make.

Even if you are an accomplished cook already I would be very surprised if this book did not offer you the opportunity to improve.

Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course
Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course
by Gordon Ramsay
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, usable recipes and interesting tips, 11 Feb 2013
I really like this book and have tried a number of the recipes, all of which turned out well on the first attempt.

Ramsay has gone back to basics with this book which suits everyday situations like what to have for tea!

If you like cooking fresh and are always looking for inspiration then this book is a winner and offers great value.

The book also offers helpful advice and instruction on topics such as how to professionally chop an onion leaving the root so that not only do you get uniform dice but also no irritation to your eyes and also how to debone a chicken amongst others. I love the fact that I can make roast dinners more elegant and can french trim drumsticks!

If you want to become a better cook/chef who better to learn from than someone who has three michelin stars, plus you get the knowledge without the beastings!

As another helpful tip a lot of the tips, like how to debone a chicken for example can be found with a visual explanation on youtube from the tv series which went with the book.

Highly recommended

Maze: The Cookbook
Maze: The Cookbook
by Jason Atherton
Price: 21.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, clever concept, great flavours, easy to follow, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Maze: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I love this cook book. Bought for me as a gift after being lucky enough to have eaten at Maze it sat on the shelf for a while before being used but now I am committed to making every recipe in order which is something I have never done from a cook book.

The recipes are organised in groups, firstly by a dish which you would expect from the restaurant and then followed by another two dishes using similar ingredients which may be more suited everyday situations. How many times have you bought ingredients especially for a certain recipe only for the remnants to sit in the fridge for ages with you not really knowing how to use them up? The book offers a great solution, I hate waste and they say a good chef wastes nothing which is something which the book advocates.

The flavour combinations here are something of wonder, Jason is truly an amazing chef which is why Ferran Adria and Gordon Ramsay speak so highly of him.

If you are cooking for yourself or out to impress others this book will not let you down.

Michel Roux: The Collection
Michel Roux: The Collection
by Michel Roux
Price: 17.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Great chef- very poor instuction, 11 Feb 2013
Firstly the good bits are that there are lots of delicious looking pictures here and the flavour combinations work brilliantly as you would expect.

The bad bits in my opinion are that the recipes are poorly written with unnecessarily complex instructions. I have tried a number of the recipes and none so far have turned out anywhere near acceptably on the first attempt using the instructions only as a guide.

To give an example of how the prep is organised, in one of the recipes for roast vegetables among the long list of overly complex instructions are too parcook fennel for 8 minutes before refreshing, setting aside and then parcooking baby corn for three, refreshing and then asparagus for 2 before refreshing. It would make much more sense to say parcook the fennel for 5 mins before adding asparagus for 1 and then asparagus for a final two minutes. This takes 8 mins total instead of 13 which the recipe suggests. This is one example but the recipes are littered with poorly organised instructions. What I want from a recipe is concise information and possibly a footnote on what may go wrong if you don't consider z,y,z. After all the chef we would presume has made the recipe lots of times. Plus, although I do enjoy cooking I don't want to spend all day in the kitchen.

The recipes are frustrating to follow the first time and I do not personally feel now after three recipes in a row that they are likely to achieve success the first time. I blame the way in which the recipes are written and it is a shame as it has made my wary of using it in the future and with so much competition on my book shelf from other cooks books this one has gone down a division.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 11:12 PM GMT