Profile for Greendragon > Reviews

Greendragon

The Endless River
The Endless River

5.0 out of 5 stars And then proceeded to enjoy a cup of tea, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
I sat down and listened to the new pink Floyd album 'The Endless River' within minutes of receiving it. This was not intentional, it just happened to be delivered as we were about to have Sunday brunch. My wife and I progressed through the meal in silence. And then proceeded to enjoy a cup of tea, still listening to the sounds emanating from the CD player. I really can not recall in the last 10 years sitting down and really listening to a new release in the way that happened yesterday. It is some thing that I used to do, just like so many music fans of our generation. Unlike most people to day, including myself now, music is snatched at here and there or is on in the background. Time is short.
At the end of the CD we both sat in silence. And eventually spoke and then agreed. This is a musical piece, and I do mean piece, and is extraordinary. Firstly it is so emotive, both in musical content and in its lyrics. Secondly it is something old - Pink Floyd motifs, sounds and themes running clearly through it, more so I thought than many recent releases. Thirdly it is new, a new Pink Floyd, and yet although there are themes etc running through out it is a direction not really heard before. One whole album to be listened to as one piece. A musical journey. Fourthly an album that is created with the view it is supposed to be listened to if you have the time (as per Mr Gilmore on the Jools Holland show).
For all the those reasons I am delighted to have experienced this beautiful piece of creative work and look forward to playing and listening to it again for years to come. I know my wife and I will make time for it.
Comment Comments (34) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2014 2:00 PM GMT

Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century
Druid Mysteries: Ancient Wisdom for the 21st Century

4.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 28 July 2013
The title for the review is literary true. After finishing the authors book on 'English Magic' I was enthused to look for other titles written by him. A few days after finishing the book, my wife and I went for a drive, which by chance, ended in Uppingham. After a browse around a few shops we drifted in to a charity book shop. I casually looked around and was drawn to the 'occult' section. There to my disbelief was a perfect copy of said book for £2. What a find and what a bargain.

Both books mention serendipity and I guess this is one of those occasions. I have nearly finished the book and find myself again inspired to look for more books by the author. The book is an easy read and full of interesting details and accounts, both by the author and other people involved in druidry. The many exercises littered through are easy to follow and simple to do.

Seems that I am on a journey that is heading towards a simpler and more natural life. Roll on.

Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization
Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization
by Greg Cox
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so super!, 28 July 2013
I know a lot of people really liked this novelization of the 'Man of steel' film. Sadly, I am not one of them. Gave up about 20 pages in as I was unable to connect with the writing style. Nothing wrong with it. Just not for me. That's 2 out of 2 books from the new film that failed (for me) to live up to the expectation. Oh hum!

The Book of English Magic
The Book of English Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Just.... 'Magic!', 28 July 2013
I was tempted to purchase this book on the reviews alone. Something that I rarely do. However, this time, I did and I am so pleased that I did. This book is a fascinating journey through the history of English Magic. There are plenty of reviews that go into the details about the written information in the book so I think there is little need for me to add to that.

I will say though, that I found to book to both be entertaining and inspiring. I sped through the 500 odd pages in about 5 days. Something that I do don't much these days. For anyone with the slightest interest in Magic and/or English History, they will find this book a joy. I have even gone on to look at other publications by the author Phillip Carr-Gomm.

And I will re-read again soon.

Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman
Man of Steel: Inside the Legendary World of Superman
by Daniel Wallace

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Missing., 23 Jun. 2013
I really enjoyed the movie so decided to buy this book. I do wish now though, that I had a chance to browse it first. Although it is beautifully packaged and bound, and has superb reproduction of the art and stills from the film, for me, it just doesn't have enough in it. The book has a lot of colour reproduction of the concept art, which are fantastic. However, many of these are two page spreads and I believe they could have reduced some of them in size so more sketches, prop designs and behind the scenes photo's could have been included. It feels that something is missing.

A good book, but not fantastic, unlike the movie.

Tales of the Nun & Dragon: 1 (Bushy Tales)
Tales of the Nun & Dragon: 1 (Bushy Tales)
by Joan De La Haye

5.0 out of 5 stars A real book!, 29 Jan. 2013
Although I love my Kindle it can give me a feeling of detachment to the matter I am reading. On recieving this paper-back book, it became clear that, well, it is a 'real' book.

Please let me explain. For me, 'real' books are books that seem to have had care and attention put into their creation, and I just don't mean the story(s) that are included. This helps me to connect with the book. In this case the beautiful wrap-around cover art, the choice of fonts, and the illustrations all go towards making it such a book. The attention to detail and the thought process that has obviously gone into making this book makes it a joy to own and read. Something that that books on the Kindle cannot give me.

The short stoies in this collection are all based around the theme of 'Tales of the Nun & Dragon'. Some tales are humourous, some are not. Some tales are contempary, some are not. All are, though, extremely entertaining. My favurites are 'Fruit of the forbidden' and 'The ballad of Gilrain'. Something different for your book-self and certainly put together with a huge amount of love, care and affection for what 'real' books are meant to be.

The notes on the inside state that this is the first book from the publishers (Fox Spirit). All I can say that if this is your first, I really look forward to many more from you. I just wish other publishers thought more about their books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 8:58 AM GMT