Profile for Carol P > Reviews

Carol P

Purple
Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely prose and fresh writing style, 31 July 2012
This review is from: Purple (Kindle Edition)
I actually bought this elsewhere but it is such a fantastic story I thought I'd post a review here. I was hooked by the first paragraph and the rest of this story just carries you along with it. The author has done a great job of introducing a mix of quirky, sensitive and flamboyant characters - I was disappointed to find that this is Graham's only novel to date because I'd definitely want to read more from him.

King of Swords: (Assassin Series #1)
King of Swords: (Assassin Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncompromising portrayal of a sociopath and those who pursue him, 20 April 2012
As reader for the last 48 years (fairly new to Kindle) I do find it hard to get into novels nowadays because of their often predictable content. It's great that we can sample previews of books on Amazon - because what attracts me starts at the opening sentence (I don't read the synopsis past the opening line) and if I'm still reading by the second or third chapter (rare) I trust the author and buy and read the story to the end.

This is the second novel I have read from R. Blake and the second time I have enjoyed the style, flow of narrative and nicely meshed plot. And it is rare to find an author who is not going to unfailingly deliver 'the man to the Mountie' because 'that's how it always happens in novels/movies' - regardless that the Mountie doesn't always get his man in real life. From the two I have read, I'd say that, with R. Blake, you can never second-guess where the twists are going - and no character in the book is 'safe'. If you're the kind of reader that can handle uncharted territory, you'll probably like this fast yet deep series of portrayals.

4+ stars.

The Devil's Dictionary
The Devil's Dictionary

1.0 out of 5 stars NO TABLE OF CONTENTS, paragraph spacing, strange text used, 27 Jan. 2012
I'm still looking for a decently produced (and inexpensive)version of this classic - and this one isn't it, albeit free; the problem is navigation, mainly, needing hundreds of clicks to get from A-Z. There is little spacing and the text used to denote quotes is big and ugly. The search goes on...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 19, 2012 6:47 AM BST

The Devil's Dictionary (Dunda Books Classic)
The Devil's Dictionary (Dunda Books Classic)

1.0 out of 5 stars Diabolical formatting from so-called publisher, 26 Jan. 2012
I wanted a clean, well set out version of this classic for my Kindle, so I trusted the claims of ease of navigation and professional layout by the publisher.
The table of contents has been crudely pasted at the start, as is the content: THERE IS NO TEXT FORMATTING; i.e. indents or line spacing that even my grandchildren can achieve on their 'front page' homework assignments. The result is a block of text that is hard to read and even harder to navigate; clicking chapter breaks didn't work on my reader.
There are cheaper, more user friendly versions here - in fact, all of them are probably better, though I advise downloading a sample because many versions are just pasted in with little care paid to formatting.