Profile for Cazpiper > Reviews

Content by Cazpiper

Cazpiper

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh No!, 29 April 2012
I'm sorry, but I just don't get this. I had to read this as I'm a big fantasy fan and this is all over the television. I tried the TV show and got bored and hoped the books would be better. This one certainly isn't. I half feel as if I'm missing something but this just reads like a huge list of made up place names and people and lots of talking and political plotting interspersed with bits of adventure as a sort of add on. Not my thing at all. Bring on the simple action heroes for me! No politics, just kill the bad guys and rescue the princess, that's what I want.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2012 8:59 PM BST

The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal
The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal
by Elizabeth Chadwick

1.0 out of 5 stars Think I prefer medieval fantasy to lecture, 13 Dec. 2011
Books are so much about personal taste. I think I can see why this has so many positive reviews and William Marshall is a wonderful historical character to write about but...
I'm inclined to follow my heart and say, I prefer my stories to be based on myths and legends, rather than reading the words an author chooses to give a character. Somehow, I am distracted by the fact that the events might be real but can we really believe what he thinks and feels at the time? And how much do we really need to know about medieval this and that - my imagination does the work so the author doesn't have to! I much prefer books such as Lancelot And The Wolf and Lancelot and the Sword for that reason, along with Achilles. Fast paced, imaginative and with just enough historical background I saw the world without becoming bogged down. They gave me the freedom to roam in my own version of Camelot or Tory.
This is well researched and well written, but not for those who like a little fantasy with their medieval heroes.