Profile for Tilly > Reviews

Content by Tilly

Tilly (Kent)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Horse Fly Deterant!!!, 1 July 2014
Am reviewing this on the basis that I have only used the Skin so Soft Bug Guard, and not the SPF 30 .... but this is an amazing product. I cannot imagine when it came out of Avon's development department that they had any idea that it would become one of the best ever anti fly horse spays!!!! I ride out every morning, first thing, in an attempt to avoid the horse flies and midges that plague where I live. A squadron of flies spot us and come zooming in, catch a whiff of Skin so Soft, apply their brakes, and shoot off to find some other unsuspecting horse and rider! For the past two years I have used the bog standard Skin So Soft Orginal Oil Spray; I was only aware of this one a few weeks ago. Usually horse and I get bitten alive this time of year (July) but so far not a lump on either of us. Only drawback is I get through pints of the stuff and keep giving it away to friends who do not know of this 'secret' product!!!

Finding My Feet CLAIRE LOMAS
Finding My Feet CLAIRE LOMAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read it ...... and then donate!, 25 Jun. 2014
brilliant book by a very inspirational woman. I have some involvement in the sport she competed in before her accident and ride on a daily basis. If something like that ever happened to me I'd like to think I would be as brave and resourceful as Claire but know it takes only a very special person to achieve what she has.

Unexpected Lessons in Love
Unexpected Lessons in Love

3.0 out of 5 stars A struggle for me, 24 April 2013
I agree with the other 3* rating. Having no expereince of living with a stoma I did find what was written on this both interesting and informative. The rest of the book I struggled with. I found the story line unrealistic, found it hard to be feel compassionate about any of the characters and also thought the author had been 'lazy' in her portrayal of events. It was if when she wasn't sure what would happen in the circumstances she was writing about she just glossed over them and moved the story on. Ian's kidnapping is an example of this. There was no detail around how this would have been dealt with. I also found characters were popped into the story if and when. Helen's brother and sister suddenly appeared, almost without warning, and then were dropped.

Great Endeavour: Ireland's Antarctic Explorers
Great Endeavour: Ireland's Antarctic Explorers
by Michael Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Michael Smith stable, 21 Jun. 2011
For me this was another great read. Michael Smith has made the point, in this and other books, that the expedition leaders, officers and scientists all came from a class of people who kept expedition diaries and wrote detailed letters home, thus making it comparatively easy for autobiographies and subsequent biographies to be written. However many of the true heroes of the early 20th century exploration came from the navy and merchant seamen, who did not always keep personal records, and coupled with the political climate in the newly established Irish free state that made it very unwise for any Irishman to declare that he had been in the pay of the British Navy. Reading of the different lives of the nearly forgotten seamen, who achieved so much, in this first class book has been an extremely satisfying experience. I have great admiration of Michael Smith in how he modestly identifies these great and humble men and then doggedly researches their lives from often quite difficult to access material. It makes for an enriching read.

The Patterdale Terrier
The Patterdale Terrier
by Sean Frain

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as quick witted as my Patterdale!, 20 May 2011
This review is from: The Patterdale Terrier (Paperback)
This book just didn't hit the spot for me and the bits that other reviewers liked left me bored and uninspired, which is a shame as it is breed I own and love. The picture quality is poor. The only useful bit of information I took from it was not to leave newspaper down too long when you are toilet training your dog! Stopped doing it that night and it worked!

Shackleton
Shackleton
by Roland Huntford

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for Shakleton fans, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Shackleton (Paperback)
Whoever reads this book needs to be aware that it is a biography of the explorer, and not just a record of his more exciting expeditions. The detail around these is fantastic and contains information I was not familiar with from other Antartic books. The author also gives detailed characterisations of some of the lesser known characters, for whom there is rarely a mention in other books from this period. What I did find heavy going was some of the detail of his life between his Antartic travels and I must confess I did skip through these sections rather quickly. Finally, although I did enjoy this book, I found the style of constant quotes very wearisome!

Hemline Seam Ripper Premium Quality - Small
Hemline Seam Ripper Premium Quality - Small
Offered by The Factory Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi functional tool!, 6 Feb. 2011
This product was not used as a seam ripper, but to undo my horses plaits - a trick passed onto me by an older and wiser horseman! It does this brilliantly! It's easy to snuck into the palm of your hand, so you have no open scissors flailing around, and you can guarantee you cut the thread not your horses mane.

2 (two) Square Microfibre Continental Pillows 65x65cm High Quality 1200gm fill sent on a Next Working Day Service
Offered by Daveydown Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 6 Feb. 2011
These pillows were purchased for a day bed - to be used as pillows when someone came to stay and to otherwise 'dress' it. They are of great quality and fulfill both of these tasks, being well filled but soft enough to sleep on. I prefer them to the down ones I have on my own bed. Delivery was first rate, especially as we are rural and had deep snow. The intrepid driver made it!

Captain Francis Crozier: Last Man Standing?
Captain Francis Crozier: Last Man Standing?
by Michael Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual great style from Polar writer, 7 Mar. 2008
A tiny museum in Castletownbere gave me an tantilising introduction to Tom Crean, and an Amazon search then introduced me to Michael Smith and The Unsung Hero. I just loved it - a wonderful heoric tale by a very skilled author, and having fallen madly in love with Tom Crean I have now read just about everything there is on Antartic Exploration at the turn of the Century. This book is of the period half a century earlier and is written in the same wonderful style, where Michael Smith brings into your life a little known and probably even less admired hero. The book covers Crozier's many travels into both the Artic and Antartic, and takes us to the time when the latter was being explored for the first time, and most interesting, getting named. So those coves and coasts and mountains - Ross Shelf, Cape Crozier, Mount Terror and Mount Erebus etc, all come from Croziers era. Also, and so disappointingly, came all those bad habits that plagued the later explorations - like dependancy on man hauling, not using locally caught game, using canvas tents etc.
This is just a great book - just one small criticism - the picture reproduction is lousy and it desperately needs a couple of detailed maps at the beginning, so you can keep referring back, rather than try and find the rather undetailed ones hidden in the text.
Mr Smith - I've read both your Tom Crean books - please find another 'unsung hero' for us!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2010 7:01 PM GMT