Profile for Colliedog > Reviews

J. R. R. Tolkien: A Biography
J. R. R. Tolkien: A Biography
Price: 2.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it in a day, 16 Jan 2014
A compelling account of a remarkable, yet in some ways ordinary, life. I shall now read the Silmarillion, and then possibly re-read all Tolkien's other books.

StilGut Ultraslim Case, with Smart-Cover Function Support and Stand for original Apple iPad 3rd & 4th Generation Wifi + 4G 16, 32, 64 GB, cognac
Offered by StilGut

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 4 Nov 2013
Love this. Works really well and looks good. Third time I've bought a StilGut product. The company name sounds like a bit like a stomach remedy, but they make quality products!

World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
World Enough & Time: On Creativity and Slowing Down
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 3 Aug 2013
One to savour and come back to again and again. An oasis in the desert of our frantic world - a place of rest.

Chasing Love and Revelation: A Fable About Finding the Heart's True Desire
Chasing Love and Revelation: A Fable About Finding the Heart's True Desire
Price: 3.35

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing..., 12 April 2013
I am a big fan of Roger Housden and own nearly all his Ten Poems... series, so it pains me to say that I really didn't like this book. I didn't like the way it was written for a start - too flowery, too many unnecessary adjectives for my taste. I couldn't really believe in any of the characters - they were all so super-spiritual, the sort of people who don't seem to need to eat or use the toilet. Nevertheless I hung in there hoping for some wisdom or insight, some food for the soul or spirit. Sadly it turned out to be a meagre meal at best. Still, I believe in Roger Housden! His later books are fab.

Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott (30 Minute Spiritual Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the actual book!, 10 Mar 2013
I only bought this abridged version because I'm travelling a lot just now and need to keep baggage weight to a minimum and the full version is not available on Kindle. Okay, you get the gist here, but the lovely thing about Anne Lamott's books are her turn of phrase and beautifully told stories. For all you get in this version you might as well read the title. On the other hand, Lamott light is better than no Lamott at all, therefore 4 stars.

There Probably Is No God - So Stop Worrying And Enjoy Your Life!
There Probably Is No God - So Stop Worrying And Enjoy Your Life!
Price: 1.97

2.0 out of 5 stars PROBABLTY?, 21 May 2012
The misprint on the "cover" of this e-book doesn't inspire great confidence. I read it straight through - it's a brief, 77 pence summary of the arguments against the existence of God. One is tempted to say it was probablty dashed off to cash in on the atheist bus advertising campaign in the UK.
But the title is generally confusing to me. Do atheists worry less than believers? Do they enjoy life more?
If only it were that straightforward.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 12:45 PM BST

URBAN WORRIER: Adventures in the Lost Art of Letting Go
URBAN WORRIER: Adventures in the Lost Art of Letting Go
by Nick Thorpe
Price: 10.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing!, 10 Jun 2011
I have just finished reading this beautiful book. Not an easy thing to do considering that my eyes were brimming with tears through the final chapter.
It is a wonderfully revealing, enlightening and inspiring story, written with great honesty and humility. A travellers tale where you accompany the writer each step of the way and feel grateful that he had the boldness to go through experiences you would instinctively avoid.
The scale both of the outer and inner journey is remarkable: don't be deceived into thinking this is just another exploration of new age navel-gazing carried out with the sole purpose of producing another book: it is a genuine pilgrimage, the conclusion of which left this reader quite broken.
One of those rare books that I laid aside with the feeling "Having read that I will never be the same again".

Wenger Men's Military Style Watch 72901W.XL With Nylon Strap
Wenger Men's Military Style Watch 72901W.XL With Nylon Strap

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking watch - pity mine didn't actually go, 13 Oct 2010
Watch arrived all looking good. After an hour I noticed the hands had stopped moving. I returned it and got my money back. End of story.

Silver Ley
Silver Ley
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book but FULL OF TYPOS, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: Silver Ley (Kindle Edition)
I recently read Adrian Bell's excellent book "Corduroy", and was pleased to find that the two other books in the trilogy were available as Kindle books. I bought them both and have now read most of Silver Ley, but I am struggling. The book is just so full of misprints it is almost impossible to read. There must be over a hundred, including the unfortunate replacement of "excitement at the lowering of the lights" with "excitement at the lowering of the tights"! I have been in touch with Amazon and they have offered me a refund, which I am tempted to accept, but I would like to know if other Kindle books suffer from the same problems. What I really want is a replacement minus the mistakes - this is a hard book to get hold of in proper book form. Surely no book has ever left the printers with so many misprints, particularly not one published by Faber.