Profile for J. D. Atkinson > Reviews

Content by J. D. Atkinson

J. D. Atkinson (Halifax, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2
Rush: R40 Live [Blu-ray] [2015]
Rush: R40 Live [Blu-ray] [2015]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad way to retire., 10 Dec. 2015
There are a lot of Rush live sets out there now, which invites comparison. Avid Rush fans like me will buy the lot anyway. This show: great set list, light on Power Windows era material (no bad thing given that the Clockwork Angels set had a few of these). Much better sound than Clockwork Angels. Geddy's voice isn't great; sad to say, better than Time Machine, similar to Clockwork Angels, not as strong as R30 or Snakes and Arrows Live (which are probably the last two recordings where Geddy's voice is in top form if that is an issue for you) but it's a live set and they've not gone back and overdubbed bum notes. Jacob's Ladder, Losing It and a decent chunk of Cygnus X1, however, make this essential listening for me. I'd have bought it if it was rubbish, but it isn't!

Lifeproof fre Mobile Case for 4.6 inch iPhone 6 - Avalanche White
Lifeproof fre Mobile Case for 4.6 inch iPhone 6 - Avalanche White

5.0 out of 5 stars Good case. Excellent customer service., 3 Dec. 2015
Despite having increasingly dubious hearing, I haven't found this to have affected volume levels while making calls, and it has kept my iPhone in pristine condition for 8 months (my phones need to be able to bounce). I did tear the rubber overlying one of the switches after a few months, but the manufacturer sent me a replacement case after filing a warranty claim via their website. The cutout for the Lightning connector was too small to accept some of the larger Apple cables (such as the VGA adapter) on the first case, but I note this has been changed on the new case. Not cheap, but it's well made and good customer service makes this good value.

DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem
DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem
Offered by PixelHeaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Stable and easy to use., 3 Dec. 2015
Following a house move that forced me to downgrade from VDSL to ADSL, I needed an ADSL modem that would talk to my AirPort Extreme. This works beautifully and is completely stable. Six months down the line, my line has been upgraded to VDSL. I initially used the BT Homehub supplied to me, but that dropped the VDSL every few minutes and was basically unusable. The Vigor 130 is also a VDSL modem, so I plugged it back in, which restored a completely stable connection. Does its job without hassle. Can't ask more than that. Also needed no configuration on a BT line.

Time Machine 2011:Live in Cleveland
Time Machine 2011:Live in Cleveland

2.0 out of 5 stars It's now pretty well established that the Cleveland show used for this ..., 17 Feb. 2015
It's now pretty well established that the Cleveland show used for this release was almost cancelled due to Geddy having vocal problems. Why they couldn't have filmed a few more shows and picked from them is anybody's guess. I saw the Manchester UK gig on the same tour, and while the first two tracks were a bit vocally rough, by the third track Geddy had clearly warmed up and the show was infinitely better than the show presented here. It's a shame, as it was a great set list and great show, but I would have to suggest that this recording should be for completists only. Of the last few live releases, Snakes and Arrow Live is probably the best overall package for performance and sound quality, though the Blu Ray version of R30, which sports remixed audio compared to the original DVD (which is brickwalled to the point of being unlistenable) is also excellent. The Clockwork Angels tour release is clearly a great show, but the sound mix is bizarre.

it's perhaps premature to escort Geddy into retirement, but this release definitely catches him on a bad night.

The Wall [Immersion Edition]
The Wall [Immersion Edition]

2.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution as nothing new in this box., 23 Nov. 2014
I love the album, but there's nothing of substance in the box to justify its purchase over the standard versions. The remastered versions of The Wall and Is There Anybody Out There? really aren't worth getting and can be obtained more cheaply elsewhere. Unlike the Dark Side... and Wish... Immersion boxes there isn't a surround or higher resolution mix provided. There is apparently a 5.1 mix in the pipeline, and it has been reported that the film footage of the original Wall shows from the eighties is in better condition than had previously been thought. They'd have been better leaving this box until both of those could have been included. As it stands it isn't worth the cash.

Wish You Were Here [Immersion Edition]
Wish You Were Here [Immersion Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Quad and surround mixes great!, 23 Nov. 2014
Okay, some of the stuff in the box is fluff, but the Blu Ray and DVD with the original quad, new 5.1 and a remastered stereo version of the album is the killer feature here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2016 8:25 AM GMT

R30 [DVD] [2008]
R30 [DVD] [2008]

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show, but incomplete with bad sound., 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: R30 [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Great set, band in good form (whoever said Ged's voice is shot needs to watch the Time Machine DVD where he 's having a proper bad night with the old larynx). I saw them play at Manchester on this tour and the DVD is a good record of the show. However, the DVD doesn't show the full set, and the stereo soundtrack is horrifically compressed to the point of being unlistenable (as is the iTunes download of the audio). The recently released Blu Ray sports the full set and a remixed stereo soundtrack that appears much nicer on the ears.

Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Clockwork Angels [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but the mix could be better., 3 Jan. 2014
I feel bad knocking a mark off here; I went to the Manchester UK gig on this tour, and it was absolutely magnificent. This show (Dallas USA) looks as good, if not better (how come they got "The Body Electric" and we didn't eh?). The video is top notch and captures the feel of the show beautifully. The performance is great. Geddy's voice is okay, no more. Vocals on R30 and Snakes and Arrows Live were much better. It's a live show and they've not tried to cover up the odd bum note. Get over it; we don't need another "Exit... Stage Left", do we? The vocals on the Time Machine tour BD were below par as Ged had a sore throat and the show was almost cancelled, but he's on better form here. I think the show I attended was even better than that. Guitar sound; top. Alex on top form. Bass sound; better on the stereo than the surround soundtrack (and good on the CD). The string ensemble; brilliant, and the second half with the Clockwork Angels material is also great. When I first heard "Headlong Flight" I thought it would be a monster live, and indeed it is.

My only quibble is with the sound. The drums, and particularly cymbals, appear very low in the mix, which given that Neil is clearly playing his nuts off and having a good time, is a real shame. It sounded much better when I was at the gig. The stereo mix on the BD and the CD seems a bit better on my system in comparison to the surround one. This may be system dependent as I can only get DTS rather than DTS-MA decoded on my system. However, i'd have to say that the sound on the Snakes and Arrows BD is better than this show to my ears, as is the drum sound on the Different Stages CD. More expert tweakers with better systems and ears than me may well be able to extract a bit more than I have.

Does it really matter that much, though? I've just sat through the BD with a silly grin on my face with the volume cranked and a few beers in hand, so i'm not exactly suffering. Bottom line; it was a great tour and this BD pretty much captures it as it was. Anyone up for R40? R41? R42? Bring it on, and do come back to Manchester.

Not sure whether Geddy's voice is going to survive much more touring, though...

Sector 1
Sector 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Glitches being fixed..., 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Sector 1 (Audio CD)
The glitches first; yes, there was a problem with the Fly by Night CD. Having listened to it there is indeed a glitch about 7 seconds in to "Beneath, Between & Behind", but the rest of the album sounded fine to me. The replacement disc has been requested, so panic over. The high resolution stereo version on the DVD Audio is excellent. I am currently listening to the surround mix of "Fly By Night" ("By-Tor..." to be precise) and it is fantastic. The CD remasters, glitches aside are mostly excellent. To my ears and system the CD of "All the World's a Stage" is a bit harsh compared against the first CD release, hence the 4 rather than 5 stars, but all things considered, i'm in Rush heaven here. The studio albums have never sounded so good. All I need now is the time to give the other two box sets a good listening to.

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Wii)
House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Wii)
Offered by Ent-Plus+

4.0 out of 5 stars The old ones still have it., 26 April 2008
Okay, I know the graphics on this are dated (particularly HOTD2), and I know neither game is exactly cutting edge. The only arcade games i've ever played in the arcade properly and really enjoyed are drivers (Ridge Racer et al)and shooters like Time Crisis and House of the Dead. The Playstation port of Time Crisis was immaculate but I can't get my old light gun to work on a modern telly.

The design of the Wii is perfect for this sort of game and the conversions are perfect. The game is perfectly playable with just the standard Wii remote hand held, and the accuracy is spot on. Anyone who's played a badly calibrated arcade machine of House of the Dead and wasted several quid before realising that the light gun won't hit half of the screen will particularly appreciate this.

While this sort of game will never engage your brain, a good shoot em up is just so much fun, particularly if you play in two player mode.

Page: 1 | 2