Profile for P. Dickson > Reviews

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
I love books and am always reading...but it has been a long time since I devoured a book like this. From the first page I was hooked and read it quicker than I have read a book in years (took 3 days and I have 3 children under 5!) Maybe it is the fact that I am a mother that made this book so special to me-the mother child bond is the major them in this book. It is beautiful and will stay with me for years.

Disney Cars Mack Track Challenge
Disney Cars Mack Track Challenge

4.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it!, 27 Dec. 2010
I do agree with all the other reviews but have to say that my son loves it. He got it for his 3rd birthday and was transfixed for hours. Now, 6 months on he still plays with it everyday. I think a 5 year old would get bored quickly with it but for a younger child who quite likes repetitive play it is good. However it is quite flimsy so not suitable for a very child.

Michael Jackson's This Is It
Michael Jackson's This Is It

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop complaining, 4 Nov. 2009
I don't really understand why there are so many negative reviews. This album does not claim to be anything other than what it is. By reading the track list you can see what's on it-if you don't want these songs don't buy it! It has a lovely book with it which is great if you are a MJ fan.
This may well be just another best of released to make money-but no one is making you buy it!

Onya Bag - Purple
Onya Bag - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant bag!, 2 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Onya Bag - Purple
I carry this everywhere, it is so tiny and light that it is easy to do so. It has saved me getting hundreds of carrier bags in shops. I have used it probably daily for at least a year and it is in perfect condition still.

LeapFrog Roll & Rhyme Learning Lion
LeapFrog Roll & Rhyme Learning Lion

5.0 out of 5 stars Rooaar!, 17 Mar. 2008
This is a wonderful toy for a baby. The lion's tummy contains a spinning wheel showing 2 pictures: a day and a night scene. When this wheel is spun onto a picture the tummy lights up and music is played. The good thing about this is that the action required to make the lights and music start is very basic and so my son has been able to do it by himself since he was 6 months old (an age at which other musical/light toys are still often too hard for the baby).

We play with this toy as part of his bedtime routine as the nighttime songs are quite soothing. We also place the lion in his cot within his reach so he play with it. We often wake in the morning to hear the lion's music playing!

There is a button above the tummy that can be pressed which keeps the tummy lit for a few minutes but turns the music off which makes it a useful nightlight.

Also worth mentioning that my son only gets to play with this at night as my 3 year old daughter loves it too and won't let him have it during the day!!

VTech Baby Bear Sweet Dreams
VTech Baby Bear Sweet Dreams

4.0 out of 5 stars It seems to work, 17 Mar. 2008
This review is from: VTech Baby Bear Sweet Dreams (Toy)
I bought this as I was trying anything I could to get my son to sleep! It could be a coincidence, but since we started using it he has slept much better.

I was a bit unsure as to whether to buy it at first as it is quite expensive and he was already 7 months old. Also, I think it looks quite dated and not that attractive. However, we put it on at bedtime and he now falls asleep by himself whilst watching the lightshow and so I can forgive its appearance!

The music sounds good-not too tinny or mechanical, the nature sounds are also quite good-some better than others. The light projection on to the ceiling is good-you can adjust the focus to make the pictures clear. My son loves to look at this. The music comes on if it registers noise in the night which is helpful, the lights don't come on though. At first I was disappointed about this but I think actually the lights could wake the baby more and so it's probably best the room stays dark.

All in all I would have to say it was a good purchase and so I would recommend it.

Hug
Hug
by Jez Alborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddlers love it, 14 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
I bought this book after reading many good reviews for it, however I still had my doubts how any book with just 1 word could be that good. I am glad I listened to the reviews-my daughter loves it. We have the board version of this book and it feels and looks beautiful. I would recommend it highly.

Bunny My Honey
Bunny My Honey
by Anita Jeram

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better books with this theme, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Bunny My Honey (Board book)
I have tried on several occasions to read this to my daughter but she is not interested in this book. The "baby wanders off and is later reunited with mummy" theme is common in young children's books and maybe it's the text, but also I believe the illustrations, are done better in other books.

Melody Block
Melody Block

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely toy, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Melody Block (Toy)
This toy is very colourful, durable and it is SO nice to have something not made of plastic! It has 2 settings-either short songs or music. The songs are very short and this may be the only down side to his toy. (That and the fact they get stuck in your head!). The song/music changes according to which side of the cube is facing up. The music and sound quality is very good. The music is the main feature of this toy, but in addition each side has something else to it, such as a crinkly mane on the lion, a mirror for a moon etc It states that it is suitable from birth, and my 4 month old has started to show interest in it. My 30 month old also loves playing with it too which suggests that it may be played with for some time. I think this is a lovely toy and stands out amongst the other musical toys we have.

Baby Touch Rhyme Book
Baby Touch Rhyme Book
by Ladybird

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book for babies & toddlers, 13 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Baby Touch Rhyme Book (Board book)
I borrowed this from the library at first and my 8 month old daughter loved it so much I bought it. She is now 2 and a half and still gets it out to read almost daily. When she was younger she really enjoyed feeling all the different textures and hearing the rhymes and now we play at finding the little pictures in the big picture and counting the various things. I think the book's size and the fact that the textured parts are large really helps this be a wonderful book for babies/toddlers to enjoy. I now have a 4 month old and have already started reading this book with him. After 2 years even I am still not bored of it!