Profile for Lanica > Reviews

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford
Price: 6.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Unscientific hearsay, 1 July 2014
Most of the reviews for this book centre around the "routine" or "no routine" topics. That in itself is very difficult for anybody to agree on as it depends on the parents, the baby, circumstances etc. I have read so far several baby books, talked to many of my friends and based on my own experience I have come to realise that some routine is good and one should have an idea to go with, especially when a first-time parent: for example, how many times to feed, when is it good to go to sleep in the evening, how long can you expect them to sleep etc.

Apart from those general guidelines which one can get in this book (out of some 300 pages I have bookmarked 4 pages that could be useful), the rest is absolute hearsay without any scientific support in any way. The reasons why one should follow her routines (which are militant actually) is explained in these terms: "I believe", "I have seen", "In my opinion". Nothing is substantiated with references to real scientific research, because, well, it has really none. The entire book is based on whatever she ever saw and, most crucially, however SHE interpreted what she saw. Fair enough, she has worked with many babies, but that does not necessarily qualify somebody to write passages like: "In my first book I said that, having successfully spent many years teaching parents how to put their newborns into a routine that results in a happy, thriving, contented baby, I can only assume that the authors of these [other] books have not personally worked with enough babies to know this is possible" (p. 34-35). Obviously, the authors that do not agree with your suggestions do not have your experience - that is all very scientific and logical.

Apart from this she commands (sorry, comments) and gives advice where I saw very little reason to trust her expertise: do not buy a microwave steriliser (it is a bother to take it in and out when you need the microwave for something else!), do not buy a DECT monitor as they are dangerous but get a wall-to-wall stain-treated carpet (completely opposite to what any allergy-conscious professional suggests).

I personally cannot say I would take advice from a book where the author only gives self-serving claims and explanations - example: "Parents who contact me for help with their "colicky" baby describe how the baby screams, often for hours at a time, thrashes madly and keeps bringing his legs up in pain. These babies seem to have one thing in common: they are all being fed on demand." (p.276). Obviously, if the babies are not doing well it is because the parents are not doing what she suggests. So let us then ignore what any other paediatrician and other medical professional has written about colic, why it happens and what is the baby going through.

There are also several parts of her advice that seem to be downright wrong: some pertaining to breastfeeding, others to sleeping. Doctors who work with sleep and study it actually suggest not to wake up a sleeping baby (see book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child).

I think that there are many more useful books out there and therefore cannot recommend this book at all.

Mamalicious Women's Evely Jersey Maxi Column Floral Sleeveless Maternity Dress, White Cap Grey, Size 12
Price: 33.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice, 1 July 2014
Lovely soft cotton, really light and airy. The fit is perfect, and it actually "hugs" in the right places so you don't end up looking like a whale of some sorts - but it still affords to grow your belly more. Very happy with the purchase!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 July 2014
I was afraid it would be small-ish but it fits perfectly and because of the stretchy waistline/style it allows for some little extra "growth" as the pregnancy progresses. The material is lovely and light - very happy with the purchase, will be using it all summer!

Organic Merino Wool Baby Blanket
Organic Merino Wool Baby Blanket
Offered by Lana Bambini
Price: 38.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 1 July 2014
Amazing quality. Feels so soft and it is really light. Reminds me of something my great grandmother could have made for our baby. So far one of the best quality purchases we have made - and it is made in EU from organic wool.

Beekid - Blue baby longsleeves bodysuit with long-legs mouse embroidery Oeko Tex 100 cotton 68cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 July 2014
I saw some Beekid items while browsing for other baby clothes and looking for organic materials. I had never heard of the brand before but I decided to go for it - and I am so happy I did. The products are of great quality, every stitch is near perfection. The cotton material is soft, stretchy and just lovely. I wish they had a wider range to choose from (and some lower prices as well..) - but it seems it is a small Latvian company that makes them so the range is limited. The cotton is Oeko-Tex 100 certified - wonderful!

Beekid - Blue baby pants with whites stripes Oeko Tex 100 cotton 68cm
Beekid - Blue baby pants with whites stripes Oeko Tex 100 cotton 68cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 July 2014
I saw some Beekid items while browsing for other baby clothes and looking for organic materials. I had never heard of the brand before but I decided to go for it - and I am so happy I did. The products are of great quality, every stitch is near perfection. The cotton material is soft, stretchy and just lovely. I wish they had a wider range to choose from - but it seems it is a small Latvian company that makes them so the range is limited. The cotton is Oeko-Tex 100 certified - wonderful!

Beekid - Red baby pants with whites stripes Oeko Tex 100 cotton 68cm
Beekid - Red baby pants with whites stripes Oeko Tex 100 cotton 68cm

Biona Peanut Butter Organic Smooth No Salt 500 g
Biona Peanut Butter Organic Smooth No Salt 500 g
Offered by Perfect Groceries
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Best organic peanut butter, 16 Feb 2014
Anything Biona makes it great - and so is this product! The fact that is has no sugar or salt added is an absolute plus.

Bedroom Athletics Women's Charly Soft Pink 210-636-660 Large
Bedroom Athletics Women's Charly Soft Pink 210-636-660 Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 16 Feb 2014
I bought these slippers as an extra pair for guests when they visit and ended up using them myself. They are a bit larger for my size 40 feet (I have quite slim feet) but comfortable - and I am able to slip in and out of them easily. They are not the most padded slippers on the sole side but really warm and easy to wear.

Case Logic Day Holster with Quick Access/Internal Lens Cap Slip Pocket for DSLR Camera - Black
Offered by thebookcommunity_fba
Price: 20.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 12 Jun 2013
Bought this for my Nikon D5200 and I have been using it all the time - to put the camera in my handbag or while carrying the camera around my neck or shoulder. It is not padded but it protects from scratches and bumps. Mostly importantly it is really lightweight and easy to open up and take out the camera. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2