Profile for Lanica > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Derma Mum Stretch Mark Cream 500ml
Derma Mum Stretch Mark Cream 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cream, 29 Oct 2014
I love this cream. It moisturises really well, absorbs quickly and when I used it during my pregnancy I never had itchy tummy skin. I tried all kinds of other creams and especially oils too. The oils mainly stayed on the upper skin layers (some less greasy than others) while a cream like this manages to moisturise the deeper skin layers and leaves skin feeling soft and supple. I won't comment on the ability to avoid stretch marks with this cream as really that is mainly genetic, but a vital component of that is keeping skin soft which this cream does perfectly. I also loved the fact that it is perfume-free.

Clipper Organic Raspberry Leaf Infusion 20 Teabags (Pack of 6, Total 120 Teabags)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Clipper product, 29 Oct 2014
I love pretty much all the Clipper teas, this one as well. Heard it helps with certain pregnancy-related things so I thought to give it a try. Tastes lovely, not at all bitter or unpleasant like other raspberry leaf teas (it is mixed with a few other tea ingredients).

Lina M.® baby mirror for Group 0+ infant carrier car seats and Group 0-3 rear-facing car seats, to monitor your child on the back seat, with two attachment variants (attachment to the headrest or the rear window). Size of mirror: 155 x 95 mm. Lina M.® back-seat mirror exclusively at AMAZON
Offered by Lina M.

The Little Green Sheep Organic Muslin Squares (Pack of 3)
The Little Green Sheep Organic Muslin Squares (Pack of 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great organic muslin squares, 29 Oct 2014
Lovely muslins - organic and washable even at 90 degrees. They do appear to shrink after wash, but can be reverted back to their "normal" size with ironing. However, they are most importantly very soft and so suitable for baby's sensitive skin. Highly recommended, along with the other Little Green Sheep products.

Softies Thank you Stationery pack of 10
Softies Thank you Stationery pack of 10
Offered by Alphabet Gifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cards, 29 Oct 2014
The cards are nice and good quality. I somehow thought that they would be double-sided, but they are not. Nevertheless, they make perfectly nice thank you cards.
One less star is for the delivery charges - I had these delivered to Spain and the delivery charges were more than the price of the cards (considering what other companies charge for delivery of items off Amazon, it was way too much).

Bentley Organic 500ml Toy Sanitizer - Pack of 2
Bentley Organic 500ml Toy Sanitizer - Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sanitizer - mild yet effective (it does contain alcohol ..., 29 Oct 2014
Great sanitizer - mild yet effective (it does contain alcohol and so it informs that it can kill up to 99% of germs). I can see us using it for all sorts of purposes: cleaning toys, surfaces (tables, high chair), even the baby bathtub got a quick wipe-over with it. Very happy with my purchase.

Heimess 767010 Wooden Pram String Clip On (Elephant)
Heimess 767010 Wooden Pram String Clip On (Elephant)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pram string, 29 Oct 2014
Clips on perfectly to our pram (a Swedish make even) and also to our car seat and other paraphernalia. The bells work really well well and the colours and make are really perfect.

Bentley Organic Mother & Baby Hand Sanitizer - 50ml (Pack of 2)
Bentley Organic Mother & Baby Hand Sanitizer - 50ml (Pack of 2)
Offered by Best4Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sanitizer, 29 Oct 2014
Gentle and non-drying. Obviously it is hard to comment on it's efficacy, but it is all natural and safe to use also on baby's hands. As it has no alcohol I am left wondering exactly how many germs it does kill (hence one star less).

Organic Farm Buddies Farm Friends Belle Cow Blankie
Organic Farm Buddies Farm Friends Belle Cow Blankie

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely toy, 29 Oct 2014
Lovely toy, washes great.

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars Unscientific hearsay, 1 July 2014
Most of the reviews for this book centre around the "routine" or "no routine" topics. That in itself is very difficult for anybody to agree on as it depends on the parents, the baby, circumstances etc. I have read so far several baby books, talked to many of my friends and based on my own experience I have come to realise that some routine is good and one should have an idea to go with, especially when a first-time parent: for example, how many times to feed, when is it good to go to sleep in the evening, how long can you expect them to sleep etc.

Apart from those general guidelines which one can get in this book (out of some 300 pages I have bookmarked 4 pages that could be useful), the rest is absolute hearsay without any scientific support in any way. The reasons why one should follow her routines (which are militant actually) is explained in these terms: "I believe", "I have seen", "In my opinion". Nothing is substantiated with references to real scientific research, because, well, it has really none. The entire book is based on whatever she ever saw and, most crucially, however SHE interpreted what she saw. Fair enough, she has worked with many babies, but that does not necessarily qualify somebody to write passages like: "In my first book I said that, having successfully spent many years teaching parents how to put their newborns into a routine that results in a happy, thriving, contented baby, I can only assume that the authors of these [other] books have not personally worked with enough babies to know this is possible" (p. 34-35). Obviously, the authors that do not agree with your suggestions do not have your experience - that is all very scientific and logical.

Apart from this she commands (sorry, comments) and gives advice where I saw very little reason to trust her expertise: do not buy a microwave steriliser (it is a bother to take it in and out when you need the microwave for something else!), do not buy a DECT monitor as they are dangerous but get a wall-to-wall stain-treated carpet (completely opposite to what any allergy-conscious professional suggests).

I personally cannot say I would take advice from a book where the author only gives self-serving claims and explanations - example: "Parents who contact me for help with their "colicky" baby describe how the baby screams, often for hours at a time, thrashes madly and keeps bringing his legs up in pain. These babies seem to have one thing in common: they are all being fed on demand." (p.276). Obviously, if the babies are not doing well it is because the parents are not doing what she suggests. So let us then ignore what any other paediatrician and other medical professional has written about colic, why it happens and what is the baby going through.

There are also several parts of her advice that seem to be downright wrong: some pertaining to breastfeeding, others to sleeping. Doctors who work with sleep and study it actually suggest not to wake up a sleeping baby (see book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child).

I think that there are many more useful books out there and therefore cannot recommend this book at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3