Profile for DAVID > Reviews

PLAIN WOOD DAVENPORT WOODEN DESK ORGANISER PRESENT DECOUPAGE CRAFT PYROGRAPHY
PLAIN WOOD DAVENPORT WOODEN DESK ORGANISER PRESENT DECOUPAGE CRAFT PYROGRAPHY
Offered by Craft Sales Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Splinters beware, 5 Feb. 2015
Fell apart the day it arrived. Poor quality - gave me splinters.

Higher English Language Skills for CfE
Higher English Language Skills for CfE
by Mary M. Firth

4.0 out of 5 stars Some excellent examples and well laid out breakdowns of how to do RUAE, 5 Feb. 2015
Some good and focused examples for students to tackle. Being considered for a whole class issue. Bit cheeky the way they force us to pay an extra £30 for the answer book though!

Aiming for an A in CfE Higher English
Aiming for an A in CfE Higher English
by Dick Lynas

2.0 out of 5 stars Study Greek and Latin to pass English Higher......good heavens!, 5 Feb. 2015
Any book that suggests exam success in the New English Higher can be guaranteed by the study of Greek and Latin shows that the author is from a different time. This is a 'boring' book (Dan S6) which is 'too full of long passages on how to do stuff' (Jade S5) and doesn't actually use 'student friendly' language (Hannah S6). There are much better and more comprehensive books out there written by current SQA Principal Assessors (Valentine, Cunningham, Swinney etc). This is just a book of continuous prose, often veering away from the focus and presenting what this former PT believes to be relevant advice. I gave my class copies of everyr CfE book currently available. This one was not chosen by any of them. Maybe it needs pictures or something 8-)

Perfect ICT Every Lesson
Perfect ICT Every Lesson
by Mark Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was hoping for!, 8 Oct. 2013
Following in the footsteps of many of the great teachers I follow on twitter, Mark has written a handy wee book with lots of great ideas on how to use ICT in the classroom. He has tried hard to ensure this is a book for all subjects AND also give a broad range of recommendations of things to try as well as ideas for software etc. I found it easy to dip into for ten minutes here and there in between classes or staff room discussions on this very topic. We often see schools with ICT equipment but little or NO training on the things... Mark's book lessens some of the fear some teachers may feel and encourages them to at least take a stab and try new things until they are confident enough to adapt these ideas to make even better learning experiences. Excellent stuff Mark.

Teacher: Mastering the Art and Craft of Teaching
Teacher: Mastering the Art and Craft of Teaching
by Tom Bennett

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody hell Bennett!, 16 July 2012
To say this book makes me laugh out loud then suddenly sober up as I realise the serious point Tom has just made afterwards is to admit that Atilla the Hun was not the most diplomatic of hairy horse-borne Mongolians. This book gives you advice. chuckles and a bloody good insight into the world of teaching and how to survive it. Time and again I said to myself, seen this, done that and got the T shirt for THAT lesson! Tom's advice is sound and sprinkled with little gems of pixie dust but ends by saying "By now you should realize one simple truth about becoming a better teacher: Teacher training goes on forever." This book will help with that!

The Perfect English Lesson
The Perfect English Lesson

5.0 out of 5 stars English teacher? Then get this book!, 6 July 2012
I downloaded David Didau's book onto my Kindle and have spent a day highlighting the things that struck a chord with me and which gave me ideas for my own teaching practices. This meant most of the book was yellow and is stored on Amazon.co.uk! This is a small but well thought out book which takes you from the start, through the lesson to the end and the result should be a great lesson which has been planned, delivered and feedback gained for both student and teacher. There are a few new things in this book, mostly to do with SOLO which has given me a long list of other reading to do during the Scottish summer holidays.

I've ordered the hardback version too as I intend to present copies to my colleagues in the department on our return in August. At less than £2.50 a shot it is well worth it. Now all I have to do is save up my budget for photocopying and spend it on bringing David to my school to deliver an In Service Day....

Get this book and read it several times - it will make you think, make you reflect and sometimes make you smile as you realise that David 'gets it' and you can too if you make copious notes!

Ipevo P2V Point to View USB Camera
Ipevo P2V Point to View USB Camera
Offered by IPEVO

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten times cheaper and almst as good!, 5 April 2012
Full review here on my teaching blog. Suffice to say I use it daily.

[...]

Conclusions:

At under a tenth the cost of the AverVision it makes sense for budget strapped departments to think about one or two of these instead as the quality etc might not be as good but it is, as I have found, SUFFICIENT to achieve the same end results, especially if you use software to record things. I'm loving it and will use it regularly which lessens the pressure on demand for the departmental visualiser. I'm going to show it in use at the next IT session I lead along with an insight into QR Codes and Prezi.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2013 6:50 PM BST

Adonit Gun Metal Grey Jot Pro Stylus
Adonit Gun Metal Grey Jot Pro Stylus

5.0 out of 5 stars Price?, 12 Mar. 2012
Oops! Methinks the price of £2495 is wrong OR it's blooming expensive for a simple stylus 8-) Mind you if I win the lottery....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 7:30 AM GMT

Why Do I Need a Teacher When I've got Google?: The Essential Guide to the Big Issues for Every 21st Century Teacher
by Ian Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Ian Gilbert's thunks on teaching, 24 Oct. 2010
Why do I need a teacher..(When I've got Google?)

Ian Gilbert is well known to most teachers in the UK especially as he is a founder of Independent Thinking which he describes as a `loose collection of practising educational mavericks and reactionaries' which includes the like of former Teachers of the Year such as the erudite and good looking David Miller (@DavidMiller_UK on twitter) and the even more `interesting' and Hugh Grant-ish Phil Beadle (@PhilBeadle). The firm's own twitter is at @itlworldwide - follow them.

Ian has written many books and developed `thunks' which get kids to think about questions such as `Is black a colour'. He gives keynotes and runs INSETs with his merry crew all over the world and within the UK. On his site there is a wealth of good resources on topics such as Multiple Intelligences (8 way thinking as he calls it) and music to learn by. I've just spent a great afternoon adding 109 songs to my class playlists ranging from classical such as Adante and Canon to pop `Nothing's going to stop us now' and I can't wait to try these new songs out on them. Anyhoo....

I spent a fortnight reading and re-reading Ian's latest `Why do I need a teacher when I've got Google?' armed with a number of highlighters and post it notes as I knew there would be some great quotes and thoughts within the book. Two weeks later I've finished and boy was it fun! There are great thinking points made here, some funny stories and above all things that make you go `hmm' as you reflect on exactly what it is we are all trying to achieve within our individual and different classrooms. The book tries to cover a wide range of educational topics that Ian thinks teachers need to reflect upon and maybe think about from a different angle.

From the start he nails his colours to the mast (more cliché alerts to follow!) when he speaks about Einstein and his thought that: `We can't solve the problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them' Ian thinks this gets at the" heart of what education is about even if schooling sometimes isn't."

There then follow 31 chapters with such esoteric titles as `Save the world', `Your hands in their brains' `Is that an iron bar through your frontal lobes...' `Teacher's little helper' and `Is yours a teaching school or a learning school?'

A quick gallop through the book:

The first chapter `Save the world' is one that pulls no punches and sets down what Ian thinks is the absolute importance of why and what we teach: it is to equip what he calls the `transition generation' the kids in our schools NOW with the skills to solve the problems we' the adults are leaving them. He goes through a frankly depressing if not terrifying lists of 14 major things that could cause the end of this planet and all on it. They range from population pressure, lack of food and water, further war and conflict, pollution and global climate change, religious wars and the other nightmares of maniac depressives everywhere. But the point he then makes is that ALL these are solvable problems and that it is up to us the current adult teachers to ensure our kids the future adult leaders (and teachers) can have the tools, the creativity and skills to sort these problems. So there's your incentive and the answer to what you're teaching - the children and how they can survive the world we're leaving them.

Chapter 2 is all about why we should be trying to teach using the latest pedology and how `the times are achanging'. Best quote: When I was a child it was `Finish your dinner people in India and China are starving' But now it has become `Finish your homework; people in India and China are starving for your jobs' (Thomas Friedman). Another interesting fact: 20% UK and 35% US entrepreneurs are dyslexic compared with 1% of general managers.

`The great educational lie' is the title of Chapter 3 and this is where Ian talks of how we tell the kids - `do well and you'll get a good job' but when you can `buy ten Indian brains for the price of one American one' how do they react when they can't get the jobs no matter how good their grades are? Ian gives examples of British firms who will recruit those they think can be trained to do a job not those with the qualifications that may, in fact, not be appropriate. Is this why all the media studies students are failing?

Chapter 4 gives you the facts as shown in `Did you Know' videos and other presentations most IT literate teachers know and love. Page after page of facts and figures which show that we really have to change or suffer obsolescence 8-) We are no longer the Guardians of the Information you need to know; the kids can access the information 24/7 via their phones (which we ban in many schools!) . No linger the `sage on the stage' but a `guide on the side' - Ian's answer to the why d I need teachers if I've got Google?

The role of the 21st Century teacher is quite simple - to preside over the democratisation of learning

Another answer was received at 11pm at night from Any Questions Answered: Teachers express things in a way Google can't. They can make dull subjects seem interesting whereas Google just supplies facts, not all of them correct'

I think they're both right.

The following chapters discuss the brain, learning and ethics. Chapter 11 `Talk to the hand...' is great. Main points; `adolescents are not people' and `A 13 year old child acts like a 13 year old child because they are a child and a child is not a `mini-me'. They are not small versions of us walking around doing bad things'

Further discussion on childrens' behaviour patterns and the quote of Chapter 12'the 21st Century teacher does not teach subjects; the teach children'. We've all seen arguments in the TESS about subject versus generalist teachers 8-) Ian sums up here by saying that he feels our priority is NOT so much teaching them as to helping them `reduce the obstacles to learning' as the kids can get at the information - what we need to do is help them identify, find, employ, check for bias in the information. He concludes by asking if we are teaching kids `how to think as well as what to think?'

More chapters on emotions and why kids behave as they do (they lack the ability to read body language by a factor of 20% for example thus having a 1 in 5 chance of annoying someone by accident! (No wonder it's sooo unfair!!!!)

Philosophy for Children gets an airing in Chapter 15 and detailed examination in 16. `My thoughts count therefore I count` sums up much of what he's saying. And Robbie Williams' hate for an old English teacher summed up in his song `Hello Sir Remember me?' makes me very uncomfortable as I always try to encourage my kids and even the ones that you KNOW are only ever going to make it into the Army for example are told that it is a good career. You learn a lot about yourself and you end up with the best bunch of mates who will be there for you in and out of the regiment.

At the halfway point and we switch to `What's the point of school' followed by Chapter 18 `An accidental school system' where we are told to `remember that nothing like schools exist in nature. Unless you're a fish`. Schools are `an artificial and inefficient learning environment that society has been forced to invent'. Are they fit for purpose in the 21st Century? Many would argue that they are not.

We then cruise past exams and their absurdity in the modern world where we rely on a written test for something many kids will fail yet pass if it was an oral exam. Ian looks at teaching or learning schools and reminds us that EM Forster once said `spoon feeding teachers us ......nothing but the shape of the spoon'. I try to make my fellow learners work for their grades not be spoon feed the answers!

The final ten chapters cover everything from self-esteem to practical classroom management and how to teach without it overpowering your life. You should have these on your teacher's Diary: `The job is bigger than you are' and `no matter how much you plan it will not go to plan'. Be cool `if you sweat you die' say the Eskimos! There WILL be days when it goes gloriously and you want to sing aloud with joy. There will be days when you think you're in the wrong job and should stop ruining kids' lives. But if you think that so deeply, then you're in the right place - because the only way is up and it shows you CARE about them and won't abandon them.

The final Chapter 31 - Everyone remembers' (A good teacher). The `good ones, they change everything' And that's why since the `future of the world depends on them' is `why I need a teacher when I've got Google'

To sum up he asks a question in Chapter 21:

Do you believe your job is to teach children or help them learn? Do you believe your school is - or should be- a teaching school or a learning school?
Your answer changes everything.

Get this book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 3:51 PM GMT