Profile for S. P. Taylor > Reviews

Content by S. P. Taylor

S. P. Taylor "Si Taylor" (Northants, UK)

Over But Not Out
Over But Not Out
by Richie Benaud

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporting Legend, Nice bloke and a great read, 13 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Over But Not Out (Hardcover)
You do need to love Cricket to appreciate this book. Richie's playing recollections were from before I was born yet through my love of Cricket I was able to allow Richie to bring games to life that pre-date me by some margin. He also brings perspective to memories I have of watching cricket and his excitement for the recent England/Australia encounters reminds us that the 2005 series was genuinely the most exciting in a generation - and when he says it you know it is fact and not hyperbole.

Richie has been with me throughout my cricketing life and in the near future will sadly depart us. Others have come to take on the space in the commentary box, but the shoes will never be filled in quite the same way - definitely a man on my 'Top 10 blokes you'd like to go out for a beer with' (or chilled glass of Meursault in Richie's case).

Botanico Biodegradable Compost Bin Liners
Botanico Biodegradable Compost Bin Liners

5.0 out of 5 stars Not glamorous but functionally excellent !, 13 Dec. 2011
Help keep your Kitchen composter tidy - they do the job perfectly ! Like I said, not at all glamorous but they do what they are supposed to very well.

Deluxe Ariel Fancy Dress Costume M Age 5-6
Deluxe Ariel Fancy Dress Costume M Age 5-6

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for your Princess !, 13 Dec. 2011
Great costume and quite durable (it has been taken off and put on (seemingly) hundreds of times already). Let your Little Mermaid have fun this Christmas !

The Untamed White Savage
The Untamed White Savage
by Derek Callon

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama, intrigue and excitement !, 13 Dec. 2011
I rattled through this book in 3days and I could not put it down. The story of the author's father in post war Singapore is both triumphant and salutory in that even champions can be 'played' by those who are in the 'big league'. Incredible highs and devastating lows !

The main character (Kid Callon - his name in the Wrestling ring) never seems able to find the destiny and glory that his talent would doubtless bring today as he mixes the highs of Wrestling glory and Champagne receptions with disciplinary issues in the Army which threaten his very existence as a Champion Wrestler. And then the ultimate 'mistake' which brings a chapter of his life to an abrupt halt !

Many Fathers and Grandfathers of people alive today went off to complete National Service etc in Foreign climes throughout the 40's, 50's and 60's - None would have tales of the order 'Kid' does and tells through his son in this book ! I wonder if many of these (myself included) dare not delve too much into questioning on these experiences, so perhaps adopting 'Kid' as a quasi-relative works quite well and through the story telling of his son lets you imagine what it must have been like to have been 'let loose' in the Far East.

The great thing about this book is that the Sport, whilst central to the construct of the story is not 'off-putting'. There is enough to enable Boxing/Wrestling fans to build the 'image' in the mind of a hot, sweaty, cauldron of sport but the book uses this as an element of the story rather than obsess over technicalities which could put off other readers.

Who will like it ? I guess it's a bit of an all-rounder. It's part biography/part thriller with euphoric moments of sport mixed with gruesome punishment. I'd recommend it highly !

100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills
100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills
by Simon Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring - get ready to plan weekends away, 22 Sept. 2010
I'm a late thirties cyclist who happened upon this book - I sense checked some of the North West climbs with my bro-in-law (successful triathlete) and he agreed the gradings were sound and accurate. Great write-ups for the climbs and the technique/punishment of the act of climbing itself. Lets face it, even as a 6'1" 15st bloke its still the imagery of climbing that is the essence of cycling and that you measure your buzz/level by.
Now just need to either re-locate or plan those weekends away as Northants......has not got a lot of hills !

Philips PET712/05 Twin Screen Portable DVD Player 7" with Car Mount and Car Adpater

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab quality and the kids love them, 18 Jan. 2010
Can't say a bad word about these that I bought used and new. Yes there's a few excess wires, but it all packs away nicely and you only use it for big journeys and not the school run ! Just wish somebody would drive me so I could sit in the back and watch a film myself !

Joseph Joseph Index Colour Coded Chopping Board Set
Joseph Joseph Index Colour Coded Chopping Board Set
Offered by Harts Of Stur

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful to look at, but...., 18 Jan. 2010
... alittle bit disappointing. Have found the surfaces of the boards a little slippy and after a few uses they scratch - Yes I realise that all chopping boards scratch but these don't seem to wear it quite so well ! Still look lovely when pakced away mind.