Profile for The Ology > Reviews

The Old Country
The Old Country
by Sam North

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read - would recommend highly!, 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Old Country (Paperback)
Let me preface this by saying I am stll reading this book, but take heed of the fact that I've had to break off at the beginning of part three to put a rave review on Amazon!
What an excelent read - you cannot help but love the main character, and the way the author builds the characters in the book is wonderful. As another reviewer said, this puts faith back in modern fiction!
Love the setting of the narrative, with reference to the pressure of inheritence and maintaining one's familie's traditions and place within society.
Will review again once I've finished and update, but I recommend highly this book to anyone. The well-crafted farce of part 1 is simply sublime, I didn't want it to end and I cannot wait to read more from this author.

by Karen Sainsbury

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not recommend., 23 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Powder Monkey (Paperback)
I am grateful that I didnt pay much for this book.
The description given here makes the book sound well worth reading, but dont believe the hype. If only the person that wrote the description had written the text instead.
The plot is boring and unengaging, the writing style is dull and utterly uninspiring. I appreciate black humour, but it seemed grossly lacking in the humour department. Granted I did laugh twice, but this didn't make up for the rest of the book leaving me incredibly disappointed and frankly rather depressed.
I would not read anything from this author again. Don't waste your money.

by Karen Sainsbury

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shocking disappointment - dont believe the hype, 5 May 2009
This review is from: Powder Monkey (Paperback)
I am grateful that I didnt pay much for this book.
I would not read anything from this author again.

Venus [DVD] [2007]
Venus [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole
Offered by rockaway-records

1.0 out of 5 stars A warning - don't let this film fool you, 8 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Venus [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I offer a warning to those of you like myself who, having seen the trailors for this film, assumed it to be a great drama with lots of big-name actors.
The film was terrible as far as plot, writing and purpose goes and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However I feel I must also point out the inappropriarte content of the film that it not in any way alluded to in the reviews and trailors: a frankly very sickening sexual encounter between a teen and an old man, and so much unnecessary bad language that I found it offensive (and Ive never found this from a film before so don't think I have a delicate constitution).

All in all, whilst I realise this probably adds up to what some would describe as a 'gritty' drama for some, I urge you to consider these factors before you waste your money and time watching this frankly thoroughy nasty film.

A Dictionary of Christian Spirituality
A Dictionary of Christian Spirituality
by Gordon S. Wakefield

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 5 Nov. 2008
This text is invaluable for any student or interested party.
A great resource to have on the shelf for those quick look-ups or as a starting place for research. Well rpesented and easy to use.
Highly recommended.

Christian Bioethics: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed)
Christian Bioethics: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed)
by Agneta Sutton

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Nov. 2008
This is a great and simple read. A very readable text which introduces the topics coherently and thoroughly, and stimulates your own further questions. Wide scope of ethical topics, yet Sutton goes into good depth to explain the arguments and difficulties well.
Highly recommended.