Profile for Auroraborealis > Reviews

Auroraborealis

The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood
The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood

3.0 out of 5 stars Gave up, 13 Jun. 2014
Most of the history books I read are written chronologically with some archaeology, geology and anthropology thrown in to colour the story. But this book is written from a language translation perspective. I found it hard going. The first quarter of the book was about the translation of the texts relating to the Flood, but no information about the story. When the author finally got to the story it was analysed in such detail that I lost interest quickly and gave up. I'm glad the other reviewers enjoyed the book, but this one is not for me.

The Mess We're In: Why Politicians Can't Fix Financial Crises
The Mess We're In: Why Politicians Can't Fix Financial Crises

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 3 April 2013
I liked this book. It had a good mix of economics, politics, history and idealism which keeps you interested in a very detailed subject. The author's obvious political slant doesn't distract him from trying to paint an objective view of the "Banking Crisis" and the reasons we got there. But like every idealist (I know, cos I am one) he ties himself in knots around the subject of regulation. Abolish it? - Well you could, if humans didn't make the leap from self-interest to greed quicker than you can say "Double-dip Recession"! Although, I was drawn to his ideas on political reform.