Profile for Pacifica > Reviews

Pacifica (Manchester, UK)

Posture Alignment
Posture Alignment
by Paul D'Arezzo

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fantastic method, an easy to read book - and funny!, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Posture Alignment (Paperback)
I echo the previous reviewer - this is one of my favourite all time books to help muscle imbalance and to really heal yourself from within from posture problems and associated pain and disfunction. I am glad to see it back in the public domain, it disappeared altogether for a spell. Even at £24 it is well worth it - it may well do you more good than a visit to a physical therapist because yes it is inspiring and explains why you need to do the exercises, and various exercises for various body types. I strongly recommend this book and as yoga teacher I have found that this approach (which has much in common with Pete Egoscue's approach, and I think Paul Darezzo had Pete Egoscue as his teacher at one point) is superb and effective. I find Egoscue and D'arezzo's understanding of posture and muscle imbalance to be a more useful way, to me, of presenting anatomy than the anatomy approach I learned in my yoga training. The insights can be applied to yoga. Finally the book is full of rather clunkily drawn cartoons but ... they are actually quite funny and they space out the text and actually put ideas across pretty well, making using the book 'lighter' and not a heavy academic read. I wouldn't be without this book (or Pete Egoscue's) and turn to this approach repeatedly to heal my own aches and pains and to inform me as I explore issues with students. Paul Darezzo is witty too. The text is funny and packs a punch.

The Seven Storey Mountain (SPCK Classic)
The Seven Storey Mountain (SPCK Classic)
by Thomas Merton

5.0 out of 5 stars What I'm finding in The Seven Storey Mountain, 12 April 2009
This book is a romance - the story of how Thomas Merton and his monastic vocation got together. In it you will find many vivid details of Merton's life before he became a monk, and also a gripping description of the awakening in him not only of a spiritual life but a life ordered and nourished by religious rituals. He started making daily prayers on train journeys in New York State, before he even knew if an order would accept him.

But that was a long way down the line - much of the book tracks his journey through the Secular Wonderland which if we're not careful is so hypnotising, we'll be on that ride for life. Or maybe it isn't hypnotising at all and that's why this book is a best seller...
Merton is a good writer. If you long for something which will show you that there are more options in this world than there seem to be and that innocence is not only something lost in childhood and pined for but something precious which can be fought for and regained - read this book. It is a template and inspiration for how to write from a perspective which puts the inner life first. But that is a secular response - the book is also a strong call to get on with it, and live for God. Not that Merton is giving advice, but that his story is inspiring.