Profile for David Precious > Reviews

Content by David Precious
Top Reviewer Ranking: 446

David Precious (Stevenage, Herts, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AKORD® NANO SIM & MICRO SIM ADAPTERS - PACK OF 3 - NANO (USED IN IPHONE 5) TO STANDARD, NANO TO MICRO AND MICRO TO STANDARD - CREDIT CARD SIZE - FITS IN WALLET
Offered by Akord Technologies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, working fine in my Galaxy Note, 11 July 2014
Converted my micro SIM back to a full-size SIM to work in my Samsung Galaxy Note - works a treat.

TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Working a treat for my PS3, 11 July 2014
Working a treat - I have a PS3 upstairs, and was having unreliable wifi performance (the access point, router and home server are all downstairs) - gaming, and, especially, Amazon Prime streaming were frequently interrupted. Finally gave up on wifi, plugged these in, and enjoy a solid, reliable, fast connection now.

Compact First Aid Kit
Compact First Aid Kit
Offered by BargainShop_London

5.0 out of 5 stars All the basics for a great price, 11 July 2014
Contains all the most important things - always good to have a first aid kit handy with a couple of dressings and a bandage of sorts at minimum, and with it this cheap, there's no reason not to.

Alpin 72539 Oil Change Suction Pump
Alpin 72539 Oil Change Suction Pump
Offered by yukkoo - Preise inkl. MwSt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I buy one of these years ago?, 11 July 2014
After using this for the first time, I was left with a big question: why didn't I buy one of these years ago?

Two oil changes so far - once on my Zafira A 1.6 - extraction pipe was just right to fit down the dipstick tube and extracted the correct amount of oil from the engine quickly and easily - and once on my CBR600FV motorcycle - again, worked a treat, drained the engine perfectly.

No more rolling around in the dirt under the car, no more getting oil all over my hand/arm removing the sump plug, no more oil all over the driveway (the first release of oil always seems to manage to miss the oil pan or overflow it, no matter how careful you are!).

There's a reason garages use oil extraction suction pumps to do oil changes - much faster and easier.

I was a little concerned if any sludge would be left behind, but it seemed to suck out a lot - and with oil changes this easy, you can run cheaper oil and change it more often. If you're worried, use a can of Wynn's Engine Flush beforehand to help break down any crap so it'll get sucked out - and having just run the engine to warm the oil means most sludge/particles should still be in suspension in the oil being removed.

Maypole 6072 2.5m Luggage Straps (Pack of 2)
Maypole 6072 2.5m Luggage Straps (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong straps, proved to hold loads reliably, 10 July 2014
Strong straps, and the cam buckles feel solid and really grab well - confident that once pulled tight, these will *hold*! Used to strap a bag down to the back of my motorcycle.

Webbing strap curled over somewhat at the ends making it a touch tricky to insert into the cam buckles (they don't "open" very far) but no big issue.

High Quality Green 18 x Reusable Ice Cubes Party Picnic BBQ
High Quality Green 18 x Reusable Ice Cubes Party Picnic BBQ
Offered by The Online Stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold drinks always, 10 July 2014
Good price, well enough made ice cubes, not too much you can say about them. No plasticky taste noticed (I did give them a good wash first, which probably helped).

Threw a couple of packs of these in the freezer, and now I always have "ice cubes" handy. More convenient than freezing ice cube bags/trays as they can just be tossed in the drawer and fit in any little spaces between other stuff, rather than needing a flat enough space to sit and freeze, and obviously don't water down drinks either.

High Quality Blue 18 x Reusable Ice Cubes Party Picnic BBQ
High Quality Blue 18 x Reusable Ice Cubes Party Picnic BBQ
Offered by The Worldwide Mint

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold drinks always, 10 July 2014

Infinite Trolley Key / Coin - Nickel Metal Enamelled
Infinite Trolley Key / Coin - Nickel Metal Enamelled
Offered by TMB Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Fed up of rooting around for a pound coin? Never again!, 10 July 2014
Works well - have used in trolleys in my local Sainsburys and Tescos, released a trolley every time. The first time I used it, when I took the trolley back to a trolley bay there were no other trolleys and no chain - so immediately pleased not to have to bother walking all the way back to the front of the store or lose a quid :)

I opted for the metal version - I only needed one, and I'd rather one solid metal one than two plastic ones (which other reviewers have said were a bit fragile).

The trick seems to be to insert it at an angle.

I used to use the normal "token" type ones which are just a pound coin sized disc that unclips from a keyring, but I found they got stuck somewhat in some trolley mechanisms. They also require you to be able to push in the chain from another trolley to release your token - no good if yours is the first trolley returned to a bay that doesn't have a chain in.

Oh, and yes, naturally it's no good for trolleys where you put your pound in a "tray" that you push in - but for the majority where you push it into a slot, it works.

Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor
Motorola MBP36S Digital Video Monitor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good unit, a little let down by a couple of omissions but still perfectly usable, 27 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off - we replaced our old audio-only BT baby monitor with this - the ability to watch our boy sleep and see what he's doing is something we hadn't really missed, but immediately appreciate now we have it.

Picture quality is acceptably good, but not brilliant. It's a 320 x 240 resolution screen, which is pretty low these days - budget smartphones often have screen resolutions of 1280x720 (for e.g. the Motorola Moto G), and this lack of resolution does show a little - you can't pick out really fine details easily. It is, however, more than adequate enough to know what your little'un is up to, which, at the end of the day, is the idea. I uploaded a customer image of the device in use to illustrate.

At night, it automatically switches to night vision mode (enabling IR emitters and switching to infra-red sensitivity, resulting in a mostly black & white image). It works well - we have the camera 6-8 feet from the cot, and our son is clearly visible.

Audio quality from the parent end listening in is pretty good, although I don't think it's quite as sensitive as our old BT one was - you could often hear him breathing with the BT one on high volume - however, this one is perfectly adequate in the sound department.

Where it's let down is the other way round - talk-back (talking to the baby via the parent unit) is very quiet, with no way to control the volume at the baby unit (camera). We often found ourselves using the BT unit's talk-back as a crude intercom during the day if one of us was upstairs and one downstairs - the talk-back from the camera of this unit is so quiet the one upstairs struggles to hear what's being said, especially if the boy is making any noise at all. The lack of ability to control the volume on the baby unit for talkback loses this a star from me. (You can, however, control the volume of lullaby playback - but the highest volume for that isn't particularly loud either.)

There's a standard screw slot in the base of the camera unit for wall mounting it if required - but I think it would have been sensible to put a standard camera tripod mount socket there too - so you could have the option to mount this to a mini tripod / mounting bracket / shelf clamp etc - there are so many options available there which would have been opened up if they only included a tripod mount in the base of the camera unit.

One more feature that appears to be missing is the ability for the display to automatically turn on if the sound level exceeds a certain level - which would save you picking up the unit and pressing the button to see what's up.

Finally - the parent unit looks to be able to work with up to four cameras, but I can't comment on how well that works as I only have the one.

EDIT: we've been using this baby monitor for a few months now, so thought I'd update the review to say it's been working well for us, and we like the ability to see what he's up to easily. Battery life for the parent unit isn't very impressive, but we tend to leave it plugged in the majority of the time so it's not a big issue.

As an aside, I'm curious why two people find this review unhelpful; I thought I'd covered my thoughts on it quite well.

EDIT 2: After around 6 months of use, the device has developed an issue with the charging port - it will only charge if the plug is held backwards to apply a little pressure (creative use of a bit of sellotape stuck to the back of the unit got it working for a bit). Tried multiple different cables, all the same, and I note that some other reviewers also had the same issue - so treat the charging port very carefully, it appears to be excessively delicate. Ours was unplugged some evenings when being used elsewhere in the house, but not all that often - it spent most of its life on the shelf permanently plugged in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2014 12:10 PM BST

Kingston 16GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive
Kingston 16GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine on laptop & phone, not the fastest though!, 27 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Worked fine connected to my laptop (normal USB socket) and plugged in to my Samsung Galaxy Note (Android-powered smartphone) via the micro-USB end.

The translucent brown plastic part swivels and clips over the micro USB end when it's not in use - but can't clip over the normal USB end when you're using the micro USB side, so it's left sticking out - downwards in the case of my phone, so it would prevent the phone sitting flat with it plugged in.

Speed was adequate (I transferred several HD TV episodes to it from my laptop, and had no problem watching them on my phone from it), but hdparm tests revealed a transfer rate of about 22MB/s) but certainly not stunning!

When plugged in to my Galaxy Note and watching video from it, it seemed to get quite warm, but not super-hot, and didn't suffer any ill-effects, so I can only assume that's just the result of packing all those electronics into such a small space!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20