Profile for AndyB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Crystal Visions...The Very Best Of Stevie Nicks [VINYL]
Crystal Visions...The Very Best Of Stevie Nicks [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars My copy bought in Feb 2016 does not skip, 11 Mar. 2016
I bought the clear vinyl version in Feb 2016 (on Amazon France) and it does not skip, just in case anyone is hesitant about purchasing this masterpiece!

Can't Win 'Em All
Can't Win 'Em All

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Can't Win 'Em All (Audio CD)
This CD takes me back to Verdi's club in Weymouth in the mid-1980s when I was fortunate enough to see the Gerry McAvoy Band live a couple of times. I'm pretty sure that the track Midnight Man dates back to that time, and that is my favourite track on this CD with a great guitar riff and driving rhythm section. Unfortunately, a lot of the other tracks just don't do it for me and lack the intensity that I had expected.

The Annual 2013
The Annual 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars CD version - tracks merge, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Annual 2013 (Audio CD)
I'm not a MOS fan so I should have paid more attention to some of the other reviews. The tracks on each CD merge into one another, so it's not suitable for playing in random order or ripping individual tracks to make compiliations, etc. I don't have much interest in listening to the whole CD in one go, so this was not really a good purchase for me.

Montrose
Montrose
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars 5-star album, overloud remastering, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Montrose (Audio CD)
This is not a review of the actual music, which is one of the greatest ever hard rock albums.

However, I have to disagree with a previous review which claimed there was no loudness war issue in the remastered 'Rock Candy' version. Totally the opposite in my opinion - I find it brash and it just hurts my ears after a while. I've gone back to listening to my original CD version and just turned the volume up a bit!

Try opening the remastered tracks in Audacity and you'll see the lack of dynamic range. I find it the same for the RC remastered Ram Jam 'Young Ram' album too. Contrast that with the latest Black Sabbath or Queen remasters which have retained a certain warmth, almost vinyl-like quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2013 11:31 AM GMT

The Chrysalis Years (1973-1979)
The Chrysalis Years (1973-1979)

4.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic box-set, 10 Nov. 2011
I refrained from buying the UFO remastered albums which came out a couple of years ago (apart from the expanded Strangers In The Night CD) while I waited for their price to drop, and I'm sure glad I did.

This box set has just about all you'll ever need from the classic 1974-79 UFO line-up and the price is unbelievable for what you get. The new Whitesnake box-set is almost TEN times the price at the time of writing!!!

I took off one star because the version here of 'Strangers ...' is not the expanded version, so that disc will remain pretty much redundant, although there is an unreleased B-side included.

I was tempted to take off another star for the cover of Love's 'Alone Again Or' on the Lights Out album which makes me cringe every time I hear it (what were they thinking??), but that would be churlish.

I have the BBC sessions on a separate BBC Archives CD with the same quality of remastering, so nothing gained on this set if you already have that BBC one.

However, the 1974 Atlanta concert on disc 2 is a real gem - some rare live tracks and the sound quality is terrific, no need to worry about that. I'm sure the most die-hard of UFO fans will be getting this box-set on the strength of this alone... and they'd be right.

Purists may be annoyed by some of the albums being split across discs, but that's no big deal if you plan on transferring your music to a digital format like FLAC or MP3.

I know it sounds a cliché, but if there's one Schenker-era UFO CD that you should buy, then this must be the one, no doubt about it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2012 2:53 PM BST

Original Hits - 80s Pop
Original Hits - 80s Pop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and interesting track selection, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Original Hits - 80s Pop (Audio CD)
If you get this and the sister Original Hits - 80s CD (no song overlap at all) you have 240 80s hits for less than a tenner.

And they're not all your usual 80s compilation hits either. I've already got quite an extensive music collection and these CDs added loads of songs I didn't already have.

Sounds like some remastering has taken place too, no complaints at all about the sound quality.

On Stage
On Stage

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer this to the Live in Germany 1976 recording, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: On Stage (Audio CD)
OK, so it doesn't contain the classic Stargazer track (hence the 4 stars), but to my ears the sound quality of the remastered 'On Stage' is far far better than the 'Live in Germany 1976' double CD I've also got (I've just played them both again to double-check).

I think the 'Live in Germany 1976' CD is available as a remastered version now called 'Live in Europe', but I haven't heard that and it's currently four (4) times the price of 'On Stage'.

What I did was buy the 'On Stage' CD and then download a pretty good-sounding MP3 version of Stargazer from Live in Dusseldorf for less than a quid to add in as a bonus track and I'm now a happy chappy.

In Concert 1970-1972
In Concert 1970-1972

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab yourself a bargain, 5 Oct. 2011
This review is from: In Concert 1970-1972 (Audio CD)
At the current bargain basement price equivalent to that of a pint of beer in a London pub this double CD set is worth 5 stars purely on value for money. It helps that the music is pretty good too.

Sound quality is top notch as you'd expect from BBC recordings.

On the first CD you get great early live versions of Speed King and Child In Time, second CD most of Machine Head played live including, if I'm not mistaken, the first time Smoke On The Water was played live.

I didn't find Mike Harding's comments a particular distraction, as other reviewers have mentioned, just adds to the authenticity of the recording in my view.

A bit of a no-brainer getting this, if you ask me, even if you already have the Made In Japan live album.

The Ultimate Collection
The Ultimate Collection
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade from my Who's Better Who's Best CD, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I was looking for an upgrade to my old "Who's Better.. Who's Best" CD and took a punt on this one - I was not disappointed.

More tracks and infinitely better sound quality - they seem to have done a good job with the remastering, full, bassy sound, not tinny like some remasters.

If you're looking for one purchase that covers the career of The Who and don't want to break the bank, I'd suggest you look no further than this one.

The Very Best Of Thunder
The Very Best Of Thunder

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Thunder compilation to date, 14 Oct. 2010
At less than a fiver at the time of writing, buying this 3 CD collection is a real no-brainer if you want a Best Of from one of the UK's finest rock bands of the last 20 years.

Better than the Gimme Some... and Finest Hour... Thunder compilations for about the same price, in fact I bought this as an upgrade to Gimme Some... and I'm not disappointed.

You get 32 studio tracks spanning the entire Thunder career and a live CD that includes their breakthrough Donington set from 1990, all in great remastered sound.

If you don't want to fork out on the entire Thunder back catalogue and are looking for one CD (well, 3 in this case) that has it all, then look no further.

Page: 1 | 2