Profile for Mr. David A. Shaw > Reviews

Content by Mr. David A. Shaw

Mr. David A. Shaw (Essex UK)

True Grit [DVD] [1969]
True Grit [DVD] [1969]
Dvd ~ John Wayne
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars True Grit, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: True Grit [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
Classic western with excellent portrayals by John Wayne and Glen Campbell which is timeless. Very happy to have this in my collection and will watch it several times a year. Highly recommended.

Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010]
Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Megan Fox
Offered by CMS MEDIA UK
Price: 2.13

1.0 out of 5 stars Jonah Hex, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Jonah Hex [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Very disappointed. Though the reviews of it were mixed, there were enough to persuade me to buy it, particularly as it is the type of film I like. However, the plot was very thin, the acting and character portrayals very wooden and was held together only by special effects. I watched it only once and gave it to a local charity shop. Unless you are an avid fan, do not buy this.

Berghaus Prime 60 Litre Wheeled Travel Bag
Berghaus Prime 60 Litre Wheeled Travel Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars 60 litre Berghaus Wheeled luggage case, 30 Aug 2011
I was very pleased with this case. It was perfect for my last holiday and is light, very sturdy, extremely versatile and has lots of pockets for maps, travel documents. I would recommend this to anyone.

Legion [DVD] [2010]
Legion [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Paul Bettany
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Leigion, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Legion [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Legion is a dark and surreal film starring Paul Bettany as Archangel Michael (who has cut of his wings) who, in apparent defiance of God who, it tells, has sent plagues to earth to wipe out mankind. The film is set in a remote diner run by Dennis Quaid and Michael, armed with all manner of firearms, rallies the staff and customers to fight the possessed souls who threaten them. Many do not make it, but the salvation is a baby born to one of the staff, a baby all are set to kill and seal the fate of mankind. In the final conflict, Archangel Gabriel returns to earth and fights Michael (now mortal) to the death. In the conclusion, Gabriel tracks the car speeding the baby, mother and the guy whose love and hope drew Michael to him, fulfilling the commands of God, attempts to kill the child, but is confronted by Michael, resurrected and with his wings. In the ensuing fight, Michael prevails and yet will not kill Gabriel. In short, a dark and surreal film, with true good verses evil and very effective special effects. Excellent performances and an excellent film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2011 9:05 PM BST

The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996]
The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Steven Seagal
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Glimmer Man, 2 July 2011
This review is from: The Glimmer Man [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I am a real Seagal fan, an unashamed martial arts action hero, and Glimmer Man is a great example of this. It has much martial arts and spectacular action, but is contrast with humour between Seagal and Wayans and others making it a particular favourite of mine. I watch it maybe 3-4 times a year and for the blend of martial arts action and humour I commend this film to you.

The Pilgrim's Progress (Oxford World's Classics)
The Pilgrim's Progress (Oxford World's Classics)
by John Bunyan
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Pilgrims Progress John Bunyan, 2 July 2011
I remember this being read in weekly bites during English Literature classes and, as my latter school years were a very impressional period, now in adulthood, I wish to return to this and revisit the fundamental truths it conveys about our life's journey through the eyes of someone in the Autumn of his years. Reflecting on the juxtaposition of the innocent boy I once was, with the experience accrued, the joys and pain, the hopes and loss over a significant lifetime, it has the power to re-connect both of my life's extremes. In that, I commend it to all with such life experience.

You Stay Here
You Stay Here
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars You Stay Here Richard Shindell, 11 Jun 2010
This review is from: You Stay Here (MP3 Download)
I first heard this on the Mike Harding Folk and Acoustic Roots programme on a Wednesday evening and was totally blown away by it. It has such purity and depth and speaks of the countless families around the world who live in fear for their lives under oppressive regimes or war torn countries. While Richard did not write this, his performance is the best I have heard and his simple, but brilliant virtuoso string skipping accompaniment makes it all the more powerful. He is an accomplished musician and gifted writer and, for me, this is the best song he has ever performed. Speaks to my soul like no other.

The Angel Insight Pack: Oracle Cards for Inspiration, Guidance and Wisdom
The Angel Insight Pack: Oracle Cards for Inspiration, Guidance and Wisdom
by Christine Astell

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Insight Pack, 5 April 2010
My first pack was a Royal, which has conventional Tarot images, but found them difficult to interpret, and if you follow the book without guidance or intuition, each reading for a given form would be the same. But, after completing a Psychic Development course, I found intuitive cards show me much more. With the Angel Insight cards, I have read for a number of people and for a relative novice, have had some surprisingly accurate readings. I feel much more from Angel Insight cards than any other and depending on who I am focusing on, genuinely see different things both from each card and combinations. If you similarly work intuitively and through your guides, then I highly recommend this pack to you.

The Pursuit of Accidents
The Pursuit of Accidents
Price: 7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars The Pursuit of Accidents, 5 April 2010
Re-released in 2007, this is an excellent early album and features 5 bonus tracks which were recorded live, 3 previously unreleased.