Profile for ms_bookworm > Reviews

Content by ms_bookworm

ms_bookworm "verbally_scratched"

Big Bargain Multifunction Vegetable Fruit Twister Cutter Slicer Utensil Processing Device
Offered by FT-Deal.
Price: 2.53

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 6 July 2014
Arrived shoved in an envelope, no packaging and no instructions. Had to search the internet for an instruction video. Really difficult to rotate, too. Not impressed. Waste of money.

How to Live on 10 a Week: Take the Tenner Week Challenge
How to Live on 10 a Week: Take the Tenner Week Challenge
Price: 2.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Timely and useful tips for saving money, 27 Oct 2013
I follow the author on Twitter and have found her links to sales and the like incredibly handy. I also see her tweets about Tenner Week and think to myself I'd never have the discipline to do that. Having read this book, I still doubt I'd do the Tenner Week challenge but it's because I'm reasonably solvent and already careful with my money.

However, it was an eye-opening read. I was particularly taken with the tips to be more frugal in the kitchen as I spend a lot of money on food - from choice. I immediately reorganised my freezer and put the longest-frozen meats on the top so I can use them up before they deteriorate. Then I tidied up my larder. I also resolved to finally order from a local veg box scheme I'd been looking at and then I decided not to buy any more veg between now and the box arriving so as to use up what was already in the fridge. There was a ton of good ideas for entertainment too - cutting back on TV and reading a book instead (something I sometimes struggle to find time for, and the author has a good list of suggestions for getting free e-books), meeting friends at home, plus making good use of free museums and galleries. And importantly, Golightly offers a lot of very useful and sensible advice on resisting consumer pressure to spend money as well as tips on longer-term saving in the form of switching utilities and other contracts - very timely as the cost of living rises again.

All in all, it's a very useful read even if, like me, you don't think you'll do the Tenner Week, because we can all benefit from looking after the pennies.

First Steps Through the Menopause (First Steps Series)
First Steps Through the Menopause (First Steps Series)
by Catherine Francis
Price: 4.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 28 July 2012
Maybe I was hoping for too much - I was expecting a book that would give me solid and useful info on going into menopause. What I got was a small collection of generalisations that I could have gleaned from the health pages of assorted women's magazines. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about hot flushes, diet and exercise. For women who can't or won't take HRT, the advice was patronising - don't stress, eat a balanced diet, oh and here's a list of herbal things that might help! No info on how herbal remedies might interact with any other medication. And at 4.99 for fewer than 100 A5 pages set in large type, it was very overpriced.

The "Clash": Return of the Last Gang in Town
The "Clash": Return of the Last Gang in Town
by Marcus Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed but lacking, 29 Mar 2006
As a Clash fan who has read both editions of Gray's opus (Last Gang in Town being the first), I think I prefer the first because it offers a broader sweep of the band and the context in which they existed. This revised edition is essential reading for diehard fans - every song, every gig (almost!) is detailed to the point of obsession, which will delight anoraks, but it lacks the intimate touch. There's a lot on the early background of the various members, but little on the "where are they now" front... The book seems to finish rather abruptly, with only the briefest update on the Clash since the split. And, being a gossipy type, it would have been interesting to have more on their personal lives. It's a hefty read for anyone but probably the most authoritative and objective account of the most influential band of the modern era. Perhaps the two books would have worked better as two separate editions, with the second as a sequel, as there is so much material. Some people around the Clash were only touched on briefly, when they were clearly pivotal in the Clash entourage, so Johnny Green's biog is an essential companion, for example.