Profile for Sienna > Reviews

Maestra: The Most Shocking Thriller You'll Read This Year
Maestra: The Most Shocking Thriller You'll Read This Year
by L. S. Hilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother. Seriously. Don't., 30 Mar. 2016
Perhaps it's time to give up on book reviews altogther. This was extremely well reviewed in the Sunday Times Culture section - I used to trust this lot. Not my cup of tea, I thought, but maybe time for a change, so took a chance. You'll read better reviews in this 1-star section - the book is so bad I can't be bothered to go through all the details about why. It's not shocking. It's not even much a thriller (I've given up at the halfway point). It's not erotic. In fact, it's not intelligent or sensitive or well-observed or witty. I wonder who paid for the reviews or the marketing (which has been surprisingly omnipresent...)

Masterpieces in Detail: Early Netherlandish Art from Van Eyck to Bosch
Masterpieces in Detail: Early Netherlandish Art from Van Eyck to Bosch
by Till-Holger Borchert

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if this period is not your favourite, this book will make it one of your ..., 29 Feb. 2016
This is worth saving your pennies for! I have been to St Bavos many times to see Van Eyck's masterpiece, but this book made me realise that I'd never really seen its full glory. Even if this period is not your favourite, this book will make it one of your favourites. The plates are an extraordinary visual feast. Be warned: it's big, and you'll need a good book rest (or an improvised one made of pillows!) and good light. But I promise you, you will be lost for many hours within the beauty and the pleasure that these detailed plates afford. This is one of those 'lifetime' book purchases that you will come back to over and over again. I very much wish the publishers would think about doing this for various other periods that would reward this kind of detailed study. But I am eternally grateful for this one. My best book purchase in many, many years.

Crossword Puzzle
Crossword Puzzle

1.0 out of 5 stars full of annoying ads, and not very easy to navigate between ..., 16 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Crossword Puzzle (App)
Irritating, full of annoying ads, and not very easy to navigate between games. Have removed it from my kindle after one game!

Embodied Acting: What Neuroscience Tells Us About Performance
Embodied Acting: What Neuroscience Tells Us About Performance
by Rick Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a good book. But SO MUCH of this feels as ..., 11 Nov. 2015
This is a good book. But SO MUCH of this feels as if it has been lifted from a book called The Philosophical Actor which was published 2 years earlier. Even the look is similar: grey text boxes, etc. The research referred is largely the same and many of the conclusions are the same. Yet this author never references that earlier work. I'm sure there was no malicious intent, but this is either an author who didn't read the earlier published work, or did, and didn't reference?

Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continued (Pride and Prejudice Chronicles Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars I found it pretty charming and to be honest wasn't expecting much, 30 Jun. 2015
Someone wrote here "not Austen", and of course it isn't. What it is, however, is a lovely diversion and a chance to imagine the afterlife of one of the more underdeveloped characters in Pride and Prejudice. I found it pretty charming and to be honest wasn't expecting much. Great literature it may not be but it's certainly keeps you reading. Well done for what it is!

The Girls from Corona del Mar
The Girls from Corona del Mar

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this (if 'enjoy' is the right word, 25 May 2015
I really enjoyed this (if 'enjoy' is the right word...Lorrie's life is pretty tragic) and most of the reviews here make clear why it resonates so much after you've finished it. It's a strangely structured piece, particularly in terms of the setting - mostly SO far away from Corona del Mar. But what it does so admirably is describe that interesting trajectory in the process of growing up: the shaky line between youthful certainty / 'absolute' judgement, and mature indecisiveness - that point one reaches where so many experiences have beaten the gloss off of nearly everything that felt so strong and sure when one is young. By the end, perhaps none of the characters could honestly explain their own feelings or their own lives: everything has become so complex. And the pain of seeing it all from so many sides; the pain of proceeding from strong bonds of friendship that can't accommodate easy condemnation or easy forgiveness, means that finally all of it: abortion, history, death, judgement, just melts into air. What is left is the strong sensation of love and the acceptance of our fragility, and our failures. Quite an accomplished first book and full of promise. I heartily recommend!!

We Are Not Ourselves
We Are Not Ourselves
by Matthew Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Connell through their lives on a pretty minute level, 23 May 2015
This review is from: We Are Not Ourselves (Paperback)
I'm feeling as if I must be missing something here. The reviews are glowing....but this was really hard to finish. It follows Elaine, her husband Ed and their son, Connell through their lives on a pretty minute level. There is no plot as such - just follows the kind of everyday things (and tragedies) that befall ordinary families, and considers the ways in which we cope. Except that there is so little to learn about Eileen. She suppresses much of her thoughts/feelings and I feel like I've spent many hours now with a very distant neighbour. The writing is fine, but like the characters, rather stoic. I suppose when I've spent a lifetime with a character I can't help wishing that I really learned something or felt something but the exercise is a slightly clinical one. I was very happy to finish this!

PHD Nutrition Woman Meal Replacement Bar, Chocolate Peanut, Pack of 12 x 60g
PHD Nutrition Woman Meal Replacement Bar, Chocolate Peanut, Pack of 12 x 60g

1.0 out of 5 stars I am willing to sacrifice a LOT for good numbers in a protein bar, 20 May 2015
I am willing to sacrifice a LOT for good numbers in a protein bar....but this is bordering on inedible. I would suggest using their powder instead (if you can) - the vanilla is really good. If you MUST have a grab-and-go, stick to the Quest bars - better tasting and the numbers are good.

The Girl Who Wasn't There
The Girl Who Wasn't There
by Ferdinand von Schirach

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved the Collini Case and the reviews on this were ..., 19 May 2015
I loved the Collini Case and the reviews on this were good, so I had high hopes. Von Schirach's style is not so much cool as downright chilly - this works rather well in delineating the even icier main character. But overall, it's hard not to pine for some meat on these frigid bones and for me the 'twist' in the tale wasn't all that interesting. It's not a bad book, but if you're coming to this writer for the first time I'd definitely recommend The Collini Case over this.

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk

2.0 out of 5 stars What am I missing here?, 9 May 2015
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Kindle Edition)
I certainly tried - especially after such glowing reviews - to stick with this. But after 75 pages of hawks I give up. I have only myself to blame - it IS called 'H is for Hawk' - so what was I expecting? I should probably carry on but...well...life is meant to be enjoyed. And anyway, someone just bought me the new C J Sansom....so long, goshawks!!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4