Profile for Mr. M. F. Stallard > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. F. Stallard

Mr. M. F. Stallard (Wisbech, Cambs)

The Open Society and Its Enemies: Volume 1: The Spell of Plato  (Routledge Classics): Vol 1
The Open Society and Its Enemies: Volume 1: The Spell of Plato (Routledge Classics): Vol 1
by Karl Popper
Price: 13.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Popper: The Open Society and its enemies Vol I: Plato, 7 Jun 2009
Before I bought this book, I was worried that I wouldn't understand it. Philosophy is a hard subject and Plato is, despite his excellent Greek, very hard to pin down. I needn't have worried. If you are interested in either politics or political philosophy, then this two volume work is a must and has been for fifty years. The style is clear and the man has read everything that Plato has ever written and then some. Buy it and enjoy!

The Open Society and Its Enemies: The High Tide of Prophecy: Hegel, Marx and the Aftermath v. 2
by Sir Karl Popper

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Popper: The Open Society and its enemies Vol II: Hegel and Marx, 5 May 2009
I have only read half of this outstanding work to date. Ouch for Hegel! He used (before I started to read this book) to be one of my favourite philosophers. Actually, I cannot understand him and (like most other people) got all the stuff from other books. Well, Popper takes him to pieces good and proper. Not only has he read him in detail, he also sees right through him and comes out the other side smiling. I cannot wait for his views on Karl Marx!

The Open Society and Its Enemies - Volume 1: The Spell of Plato
The Open Society and Its Enemies - Volume 1: The Spell of Plato
by Karl R. Popper

5.0 out of 5 stars Karl Popper: The Open Society and its enemies Vol I: Plato, 5 May 2009
Heavy? No. Difficult to read? No. Loads of notes and bibliography? Yes, but you do not have to read them. But in just over 200 pages, this genius sorts out the scam of Fascism/Socialism/Communism and all other closed tribal societies. Yes, you can understand it easily. Yes it is lucid and all the clever stuff is shunted into the notes. Yes he really is humble and honest too.
Think I am hyping? Take, read.......