Profile for Pauline C > Reviews

Pauline C (England)

Step-by-Step Baking Cakes
Step-by-Step Baking Cakes

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Kindle edition, 15 Nov. 2013
I had seen this book as a hardcover in a local bookshop and it looked to be an excellent book ... When I saw the Kindle price of 99p I could hardly believe it and wanted it for my tablet. Totally disappointed however ... Contents page on my download only a fraction of the contents page in the "look inside" panel ... Approx 35 recipes ... And no links from the contents page so you would need to scroll through the whole book to find a recipe each time. Also it did not respond to changing the ipad orientation between portrait and landscape. All in all totally useless and straight back for a refund .. I'd sooner pay for the hardback..

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cover for Paperwhite, 23 Jan. 2013
I bought this bespoke cover as i didn't want elastic straps on the corners of my Kindle - the device clips securely into the moulded plastic tray of this one which provides great protection. Nice looking cover with metal fastener - I like the matt grainy look of the leather as it won't look scratched after 5 minutes, and the amount of padding is just right to make it comfortable to hold. My only criticism is that if you turn the Kindle off using the off button, closing the cover still seems to put it into "sleep" mode which means it will wake up when you open the cover - great most of the time but not good if you want to turn the device off completely.

The Secret Supper Club
The Secret Supper Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 19 Jan. 2013
I found this very enjoyable, engaging and amusing. The central character, Hannah, has an engaging narrative voice; and her insecurities and dilemmas are very believable, whilst being illustrated by amusing (and sometimes poignant) incidents in the book. This is very much a "coming of age" novel, about finding out who you, what you want out of life, and what is and isn't important; but it is still a light read with a plot that rattles along. A great weekend read.

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great - will try another, 7 Dec. 2012
I have just bought my Kindle Paperwhite from John Lewis. I deliberately waited until they stocked them, as I had a previous bad experience with a Sony e-reader that went wrong and where the supplying store was not at all helpful, so this time I wanted to ensure that I would have no messing about if there were problems. JL is the only store which will deal directly in store if there is a problem at any time within the warranty period. I'm pretty glad I did that now, as within 10 minutes of getting out of the box and powering it up I have decided it will have to go back and be swapped for another. I would agree that it looks good and is very easy to set up - no problems there ... but unfortunately I've got one with a particularly bad case of patchiness in the light department ... when the light is turned up in daylight to a level that makes it comfortable to read the text, there are quite bad patches of uneven shadow and blotchiness stretching approx 20% up the screen. I have seen demo models in various stores such as John Lewis and Waterstones so I know they're not all as bad as this. I really do want this product so I'll be taking it back and trying another one - I will be willing to give 3 a go before I give up. But in light of the inconvenience I can only give it 2 stars at this stage as I can't in honesty even say "it's ok" (3 stars). If I get one that's beter I will amend this rating :-)

The Sixth Wife
The Sixth Wife
by Suzannah Dunn

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Sixth Wife (Paperback)
I'm a great lover of Tudor period historical fiction with a "twist" and was therefore looking forward to this novel as I picked it up; but have to say I found it very disappointing on several levels.

**** The rest of this review contains plot spoilers ****

Firstly the premise of the affair between Cathy and Thomas just doesn't ring true ... a strong woman who dislikes her best friend's new husband is seduced into madness by one stolen kiss?? Suzannah Dunn never really makes the reader understand her motivation for this betrayal.

More importantly though, a lot has been made of the "modern tone" of the narrative style but I just found it clunky and jarring - especially in the first half of the book.

Unfortunately the book cannot even be redeemed by suspense .. after all we all know historically how the book ends, with the death in childbirth of Katherine Parr and the execution of Thomas Seymour, and in this respect the end of the book just trails away.

Overall I found this book mildly entertaining but personally think it is not in the same league as other authoris of this genre such as Philippa Gregory or Alison Weir.

Twopence to Cross the Mersey
Twopence to Cross the Mersey
by Helen Forrester

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational reminder of a vanished world, 22 July 2006
I first read this autobiography and its two sequels in the early 1980's (the fourth volume "Lime Street at Two" had not then been published). I have just visited an art gallery exhibition of a middle class Liverpool lady's clothing during the years between the two world wars, so I decided to revisit the Forrester trilogy to remind me of the great contrasts between rich and poor during that era.

Helen's story just seemed so much more poignant than ever - it was truly shocking to revisit the depths of degradation she and her family suffered following her father's bankruptcy in the context of a city which could offer the "Bond Street of the North" to those with the means to buy. As a Liverpool resident it also fired my imagination to read descriptions of streets at once so familiar but set in a totally different world from today.

"Twopence to cross the Mersey" and its sequels are really "must-read" books. In fact I have now become aware of the fourth volume and will be reading that as soon as possible!

The Island
The Island
by Victoria Hislop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great page-turner with a few minor flaws., 10 July 2006
This review is from: The Island (Paperback)
The cover describes this book as "a beach book with a heart" and I would certainly agree with that - it is a great holiday read as it is well-paced with an interesting plot, characters you care about and great descriptions of Greek village life. I found the descriptions of life on Spinalonga and the fear and prejudice surrounding leprosy even 50 years ago to be particularly thought-provoking, but the courage and stoicism of the characters prevented it from being a depressing read.

However I did feel that the book had one or two flaws - the plot twists were pretty well signposted, and I felt that the last section of the book which covered Sofia's early life and reasons for turning her back on the past were far too rushed, and her eventual return to Crete seemed like a plot device. Having said this, these minor criticisms didn't spoil my overall enjoyment of the book. I would still definitely recommend "The Island" as I found it to be a heart-warming page-turner that made me think about the way of life it described and the issues it covered ... and that's never a bad thing!