Profile for S. Stone > Reviews

Content by S. Stone

S. Stone

Page: 1 | 2
VonHaus by Designer Habitat PREMIUM Cantilever TV Wall Bracket for 23 - 55 inch LCD, LED & Plasma TV. Load Capacity up to 35KG, -15+10 degree Tilt mechanism up/down, 180 Degree Swivel, Max VESA 400x400
Offered by Designer Habitat

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bracket.... but!, 25 April 2014
Firstly I must say that this is an excellent TV bracket. Simple to install and with enough flexibility to fit the vast majority of 24 - 55" wall-mountable screens out there. I was also lucky enough to pick it us at an unbelievable price, well below the £25 it is currently listed at. All in all a bargain and I am VERY happy with it.

However, I do have a concern, and it is not about the quality of the purchase.

I fully echo the sentiments of Mrs Barlow regarding the reviews left by 'Rick'. These are clearly fraudulent reviews (even if they may not be by an employee or someone with a vested interest in sales by Designer Habitat - although I struggle to see another motive for this). This trend towards fake reviews on Amazon is something which is becoming more prevalent, and from the other posts on forums around it would appear that Amazon are not proactive in dealing with this issue.

As a long-time Amazon purchaser (and Prime member for several years), I rely on the Amazon review functionality to assess many of my purchases. I am now of the opinion that these reviews cannot be relied upon without extensive research into each one - which for me negates many of the advantages of buying from Amazon in the first place.

Unlike Mrs Barlow, I have not rated the product based on these fraudulent reviews - having instead given it 4 stars as the product and the overall service deserve. However, if Amazon do not soon start to do something significant about the fake reviews on their site, I for one will not be renewing my Prime membership (given that it has also dramatically increased in price), and will without doubt be seeking alternative sources for my purchases.

I will be contacting Amazon directly about this, and will be interested to hear their response.

Scythe Setsugen Rev. 2 Graphics Card VGA Cooler
Scythe Setsugen Rev. 2 Graphics Card VGA Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 2 April 2014
I have a reasonably elderly, but perfectly functional Radeon HD4590 card. A few days ago, after making an appalling racket for a few hours, the fan packed up completely. Now I assumed (not unreasonably I thought at the time!) that sourcing a replacement fan would be simple... but no!! Nowhere could I find the same type of fan with the same mount points. I was reluctant to bin the otherwise excellent card just for the sake of a broken fan.

Then it occurred to me to look into aftermarket coolers. That's when I found the Setsugen Scythe. The Amazon description does not list this as being compatible for my card, but a quick look on the manufacturers website confirmed it was on the list.

What arrived slightly alarmed me at first. It turns out I am replacing a fan that was 75mm across with a unit that is several inches in diameter! Then it becomes apparent that what you are in fact replacing is the entire cooling system, heatsink and all, from the card.

Inside the package is the heatsink and fan, with a reassuring amount of copper visible. Also included is an exttension for your cards power cable (if required), a large assortment of mounting brackets, and a huge selection of additional heatsinks for attaching to your cards memory chips etc. Finally, attached to the fan is a fan speed controller.

Also included are two instruction sheets. The first shows you which of the plethora of mounting holes you will need for your particular card. The second is a step by step walkthrough to installing the new cooler.

Now, here is my first small warning. Fitting this cooler will mean stripping down your graphics card. If you are not comfortable doing this, then either get help from someone who is or look elsewhere. Having said that, all that was required in my case was to remove six small screws, a little cleaning, application of the thermal paste (included in the pack), and attaching the new cooler with the correct combination of mounting plates. Its not a difficult task but is a little fiddly.

Once the cooler was mounted, all that was required was to refit the card into my machine, plug the fan power into a suitable header on the mother board and power up.

The results are fantastic. I checked my GPU temperature while playing Batman Arkham Origins, and the temperature never exceeded 38 degrees. With the old stock fan I was regularly exceeding 80 or 90 degrees. Also, the complete lack of noise from this unit is quite disturbing! The fan is extremely quiet, even with it cranked right up to full speed.

There are a couple of very minor cons. The instructions, while excellent, are the usual poorly translated junk. The illustrations more than make up for this though. Also, the fins on the heatsink are very prone to bending while you are installing the unit. Take care that all the fins are straight before reinstalling your card.

The positives are extensive. It caters for a huge list of VGA cards of varying ages. Installation, while fiddly, is very straightforward. The fan is very quiet and in my case operating temperatures were dramatically reduced.

All in all I would wholly recommend this cooler - fantastic!!

Wella SP Color Save Shampoo (For Coloured Hair) - 1000ml/33.8oz
Wella SP Color Save Shampoo (For Coloured Hair) - 1000ml/33.8oz
Offered by HAIR ANGELS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 16 Jan 2014
My other half uses this shampoo as it is the one recommended by her stylist. She usually pays around £12 for 250ml at the salon, so this works out significantly cheaper.

Same product as in the salon, just in a bigger bottle.

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read for anyone with the slightest interest in Space, 16 Jan 2014
Commander Chris Hadfield is one of the humblest, most incisive men I have ever seen or heard. I am among the many people who became aware of him through his Social Media interactions during his five months aboard the International Space Station, and couldn't resist buying the Kindle version of this book as soon as it came out.

It is diffiult to classify this as an autobiography - even though it charts Chris' path to becoming an Astronaut. He cleverly uses each of the significant points in this journey to relate the lessons he learned to ways he changed his life in the future, or alternatively how a decision he made at a particular point was driven by past experience. The end result is a combination between an autobiography and a life coaching manual.

But don't think for a minute that he is trying to tell you how to live your life. Instead, the feeling you are left with after finishing to book is instead an insight into how to look at the bigger picture - take account of what might (but has not yet) happened, and learn more effectively from what occurs around you as well as directly to you.

He does this in a way which is at no point preaching nor directive. And all the time you are taking in an extraordinary journey from Pilot to Astronaut, as well as gaining a unique and at times humbling insight into what it is like to spend extended periods in space.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable read, and one I would recommend.

Logitech Z323 Speaker System
Logitech Z323 Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome desktop speakers, 9 Dec 2013
I had been after a new set of desktop speakers for my PC for some time as the cheap and nasty ones I have had for longer than I care to remember had started to pop and crackle quite alarmingly.

Then these little beauties came up in a Black Friday lightning deal (I wont tell you what I paid for them as I don't like to see adults cry), so I took the plunge and grabbed them while there were still some in stock (which lasted about four minutes!!)

Now, the sound hardware in my PC is nothing particularly special, so all I hoped for was a little less snap crackle and pop while watching movies or blasting countless alien invaders. Well, was I in for a nice surprise!

Lets start with the box contents - as you might expect, there is the subwoofer and two satellite speakers. The subwoofer is light but clearly well built. It has a downward facing bass speaker, a bass adjustment knob on the back and four feet to stand it clear of the surface its stood on. To the back are the relevant plugs and ports, with a slightly unusual VGA-type socket to connect one of the other speakers to (the reasons for this become more clear in a minute tor two... please read on!).

One of the speakers is very simple - just a standard audio cable to connect to the subwoofer. The other has the power and volume knob on the front, but also has very useful headphone output and aux input ports in the side (hence the odd connector).

Turning the knob on (after connecting it all up), you will be greeted with a satisfyingly bassy 'donk' from all three speakers. Now, as a warning to all those in the same postcode as you, don't turn the volume up too far before playing a sound. These little speakers produce a very surprising amount of volume! Don't be mislead by the 6-watts output. There is a fabulous bass level, and the Logitech 360 degree technology present in these gives superb room-filling sound.

As for the look and feel - fantastic! The subwoofer as already mentioned is in a matt black case but every part feels well constructed. The satellites are a lovely gloss black. The visible speakers on the satellites can be seen moving when you have the volume cranked up a bit, and the volume knob has a very good quality click when in use.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these, even at the 'standard' price they are an excellent buy. As part of a lightning deal they were superb value!

Bundaberg Ginger Beer 375 ml (Pack of 12)
Bundaberg Ginger Beer 375 ml (Pack of 12)
Offered by Discount Office Supplies & Equipment

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ginger beer available!, 9 Dec 2013
This is without doubt the best ginger beer you can buy, and I include all the alcoholic ones in that statement.

The Bundaberg ginger beer frequently retails over here for close to £3 a bottle, so to be able to get a case of 12 bottles for around £13 is an absolute bargain, and I will be setting up my routine delivery VERY soon!

Only slight criticism was in Amazon's packaging. There was little protection provided for the 12 bottles in the postal box. Mine came through intact but I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that some peoples were damaged in transit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 3:11 PM GMT

Keep Calm And Call Batman For iPhone 3G 3GS Case Cover Black Batman Fan Lover Funky Designer Hard Case Sold By Kruzroyal

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 9 Dec 2013
Great value iphone 3 case providing excellent protection for your bat-fan's iphone! Good quality printing and construction mean that the phone is likely to survive the bumps and bangs it gets when the dark knight is out getting bad guys!

UKayed ® Jelly Fish Mood Lamp Relaxing - Table - Designer - Night - Mood - Light -

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific item and excellent quality, 9 Dec 2013
I had purchased a similar item from a well known high street gadget shop, and ended up returning it because the jellyfish simply floated to the top and stayed there, despite my following the enclosed instructions to the letter.

I therefore purchased this one with a little trepidation, especially given a few of the existing reviews. However, I need not have worried! This is terrific quality and VERY simple to get going.

In the box, you get the tank, three silicone jellyfish, a backing panel and mains cable. The instructions are on a single sheet, and in the version I bought came with an additional sheet from the distributor (UKayed) with some additional tips on - very handy!

However, to get this to work is really very simple. The big hint is to soak your jellyfish in neat washing up liquid for about an hour, and before rinsing them off really massage the liquid into the jellyfish. This makes the silicone nice and supple and much more effective once they are in your tank.

I used de-ionised water (the same stuff as you use to top up car batteries and available very cheaply from motor stores) which worked a treat.

Once assembled, its very simple to use. There are two buttons on the top of the header unit. One turns the tank pump and lights on and off, and the other allows you to choose between the different light colours available - one of these selections cycles between the different colours automatically which is very effective. Another useful fact is that the unit is almost silent when operating, just the slightest noise coming from the two impellers inside, making it perfect for a childs room.

When running, the two impellers turn on and off in a timed sequence. This adds a nice random effect to the movement of the jellyfish and adds hugely to the overall experience.

I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a good value, small effective gift.

Babel
Babel

5.0 out of 5 stars A true musical journey, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Babel (Audio CD)
Now, you must understand that I have an extremely eclectic taste in music, and not one that easily falls into a single category. I have been aware of Mumford & Sons since their first foray into the charts, and have always appreciated their music. However, it wasn't until I saw their recent live performance at Glasto that I truly began to become a (and I don;t like the word but...) 'fan'. Both albums are a rare thing these days, harking back to the LP days of a journey from beginning to end. I believe these are best listened to in order (sorry MP3 shuffler's but it's true!!) as its obvious the band have carefully considered the playing order.

Add to this the quite superb musicianship displayed by all four of them, and add in Ted's own interpretation of the word 'rhythm' (you need to see him play the Double Bass to see what I mean) and they bring a unique sound which is truly distinctive.

The lyrics are complex, meaningful and superbly written and while the melodies are simple on the surface their hidden depth and layers add hugely to the overall experience.

'Sigh no More' was a superb entry into the commercial album market, but 'Babel' takes the band a step further. Their combination of rock and folk is meticulously crafted, and they are skilled live performers.

While Babel may not be for everybody, it has certainly struck a chord with me and I am thoroughly enjoying listening to both their albums, even several weeks in.

Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER for ELM327
Offered by icase4you

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute bargain!, 24 April 2013
Well what can I say. I purchased this item as I resent paying a mechanic upwards of £300 to diagnose and clear EMS errors on my car. I have previously owned a Nissan and was charged in excess of this amount for a simple diagnosis and clearing of an erroneous warning light on my vehicle. I purchased this item, as well as the excellent Torque app for my android tablet and I have a full diagnosis and informational tool at my disposal. The only (very) slight criticism is the documentation and software supplied on the enclosed mini-cd. Having said that, this is not required at all. Simply download Torque (which comes in a free 'lite' version too), pair your phone or tablet with the device (bluetooth key is 1234) and away you go! For a total outlay of less than a tenner you have complete monitoring and diagnosis functionality within your control!!

FABULOUS!

I have no doubt that this gadget will save me a considerable amount. I only wonder how they can produce this and sell it at a profit for less than £8!!!

Anyone interested in home vehicle diagnostics or clearing unnecessary warning indicators on their vehicle need look no further than this awesome bit of kit.

Page: 1 | 2