Profile for Saif > Reviews

Vengeance Trilogy Boxset [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Min-Sik Choi
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt
Price: 34.18

5.0 out of 5 stars "It has to be pretty. Everything should be pretty.", 28 Dec 2013
I don't usually review movies, nor a trilogy in this case, but I truly believe this should be an exception. I'm probably like most of you, viewing this boxset after watching Oldboy. However, the reason I bought it in the first place was to have my favourite out of the trilogy in blu-ray; Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Just as a general gist, these films are not narratively connected at all, though all tell profound stories in their own right. Mr. Vengeance being the most gruesome one, Oldboy being much more bitter, whilst Lady Vengeance being surprisingly elegant and detailed,(despite scenes of murder/torture).

As a note, this version of Lady Vengeance is the Fade to Black and White version, of which does what it says; as the movie progresses, colours will eventually became shaded white/black until only subtle primary colours remain. Albeit I was rather disappointed when I found out the colour version was not included, but after now watching it the second time, I personally feel this is the version Park Chan-wook intended, and in my opinion is superior to the former.

Nonetheless, as a fan of contemporary Korean movies, I am truly happy with my purchase, especially with the current price which I had purchased it for, it is an absolute bargain!

STUDIO GHIBLI Fashion My Neighbor Totoro Canvas backpack School bag
STUDIO GHIBLI Fashion My Neighbor Totoro Canvas backpack School bag
Offered by Color&Fun Global
Price: 18.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Straps aren't very strong, 4 Aug 2013
Have to say, the design and material of the bag is great and appealing. I used it for school, but only for a week. This is because one of the straps came off from just carrying literally 2 books and my lunch. It's such a shame and I can't even sew it back on since it came off from the inside.

From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki
Price: 12.15

5.0 out of 5 stars A charming, yet a not so straightforward romance movie, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: From Up On Poppy Hill [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since watching Tales From Earthsea, it must be said I was rather put back knowing Goro Miyazaki would be directing once again. The film however, was as charming and magical as all the other Ghibli films.
The film's main storyline is about how someone is answering a young girl's signal flags of which she raises everyday outside her boarding house.

At first it seems to be a straightforward boy-meets-girl scenario, but it definitely is not the case. There's a surprising amount of twists and bumps along the way, of which left me wide open of thought afterwards. The movie overall was adorable, I thought the music was outstanding and Aoi Teshima's gorgeous voice of whom sang Therru's song in Tales from Earthsea returns. The use of Sukiyaki, the only Japanese song to reach #1 in America, I thought was a nice touch too. The animation is what you expect from Ghibli, lovely hand drawn animation that goes to show that CGI hasn't killed it off just yet. I just hope we receive a Blu-ray version of the DVD to do the movie justice.

Overall, once again Studio Ghibli produces an unorthodox movie in the romance genre, proving that film makers do not have to follow the traditional formula to make a good film. It seems the future of Ghibli is in good hands after all.

**EDIT** September 1st, Hayao Miyazaki announces his retirement, it seems the gauntlet has officially been passed onto his son and Hiromasa Yonebayashi (Director of Arrietty), though now we can finally sigh in relief!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2013 9:47 AM BST