Profile for J. Allan > Reviews

Content by J. Allan

J. Allan "Happy customer" (UK)

Netflix
Netflix

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 May 2016
This review is from: Netflix  (App)
Worth every penny.

Kentucky [Limited Edition - CD + DVD]
Kentucky [Limited Edition - CD + DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 3 May 2016
Not their best but still worth buying

HDMI to SCART Composite Video Converter Stereo Audio Adapter SKY HD Blu-Ray UK specification (HDMI to SCART)
Offered by PowerService

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be simpler, 4 April 2016
Does what it says.
I expected a slight loss in picture quality but perhaps not as much as I found.

Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Super little switch which exactly what is claimed, 7 Aug. 2015
Super little switch which exactly what is claimed.

That may seem obvious, but the three I tried prior to the Kinivo did not.

'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
by John Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to dream, 23 May 2009
As an ex-obsessive, but now very occasional, golfer I found this a superb insight into the psychology of the amateur player.

Do we not all have a copy of the Big Book Of Excuses?
Have we not all at one time strung together our best efforts on each hole and thought "If I could just string them together I'd shoot a 67"? Well John Richardson didn't just ponder this, he got off his clubhouse barstool and went and did just that.

I appreciated that it would require a lot of time, effort and stress, but what John's account brought home to me is just how much self-examination and willingness to change was required to complete the challenge. I am not sure many people could open themselves up in such a way.

As John struggled with his lack of progress in scoring even though he was working long hours and improving his game I could literally feel his frustration as I read his account. Fortunately I also got to share in his excitement as `the round' progressed to it's climax and actually felt a sense of relief as he described holing that final putt.

I would have loved to be there when he called Sam Torrance to break the good news...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2009 4:14 PM BST

Wake up and smell the profit: 52 (+1) Guaranteed Ways to Make More Money in Your Coffee Business
by John Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational advice, 11 Sept. 2007
This is a cracking little book. I would admit that I'm not a great reader of business books but this was recommended to me by my slightly exasperated accountant and I thought I'd give it a go. The style of the book makes it easy to read and the countless "true stories" where they back up their points with real examples from their own experience made it vastly more readable than the average management or business book.

What I liked about it most is the fact that they have both owned a large array of food businesses and are speaking from experience. This is not the usual theoretical nonsense put out by so many "consultants" who have never actually operated a business day in and day out.

The consistent emphasis on the business being "about the money" has helped me realise just how ridiculous some of my notions towards operating my business have been. I have already made some important changes to my business and made the cost of the book back many times in one month!